Author Topic: The Sixers free agency thread.  (Read 27264 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: The Sixers free agency thread.
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2009, 08:55:08 AM »
If that is the plan, which it very well may be, then Brand has to rebound strongly this year and get moved.  Otherwise, even if we wait to sign Thad until after making a FA acquisition, like the Brand/Iggy signings, we would have major tax concerns and Snider would likely not sign off on that.

The other option is to try to package some of our young talent with some of those expirings next year to grab one of the big time FA's in a S&T, getting a real superstar.  With the cap and tax going down, those teams that cleaned their closets of contracts for next year won't be in as good of  ashape as tehy expected, and any FA can get more in a max S&T that a straight max FA contract.  We will have a nice mix of cheap young talent and expirings to entice those teams and still enough talent to retain to entice the FA who wants to win.  Don't bet against that.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »
Agree with both points. 

A:  If we can't win in the next 2-3 years I'd rather move Brand to a team better suited to contend (and take on the back end of his 15/16/17/18M.)  We need him to bounce back if we expect any takers.

B:  And if Brand returns to for and this is a 50 win team, then in 12-18 months they could also consider bundling some big expirings (Sam, Kapono, Green) + young talent/picks for a real superstar to try and make a legit title run. 

I'd say option B is unlikely, but could happen.  Option A probably has a higher likelihood.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2009, 09:12:49 AM »
I think the Sixers try to win with Brand first before they get rid of him.  The Sixers can't make any big moves until they can free up some cap space. Getting rid of Miller is simply the smart move.  It is becoming clear to Miller that no-one else wants him either, and even mid-level exception money is more than he could get from anyone else. 

Still waiting to see what castoffs the Sixers will use to finish out their roster, wonder if any young player that are getting squeezed out have something to offer the Sixers.

So far, I have heard that they made an offer to Rodney Carney, which was rejected, and more recently one to C.J Watson who played for Golden State last season.  I wonder if these guys will get better offers or if they're kidding themselves.  With the salary cap apparently headed lower and over 70 free agents out there, some of these guys are going to be out of the league with no where to go. Getting over a million a year is better than trying to find a real job!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:37:32 AM by rickortreat »

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2009, 03:04:34 PM »
This offseason has been pretty disappointing, and the lowered cap is a real wet blanket.  I'm slowly jumping on board the 2011 train, and  warming up to the idea of taking a couple steps back to take a leap forward.  It seems like every year for the last 3 years we've been a couple years away from contending.  Oh well. 

In 2011, when Daly, Willie, and Kapono come off the books we should be able to re-sign Thad and make a splash in free agency.  In the meantime, we might as well give Lou a shot at point (even though I believe it to be a lost cause) to see how effective he can be as a starter.  Who knows, maybe the Princeton will mask some of his shortcomings.  We also need to run Iguodala at sg and Thad at SF now that Brand is back, and I'm pretty sure that's what we'll end up doing. 

Hopefully by the time 2011 comes around, our core will be entering their prime, our young guys will be more capable, and we'll be in a position to fill the gaps via free agency.  Hopefully.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 01:07:02 PM »
My hope is that the deadline before that they use Sam's big expiring and one of their young players in a trade to land a vet superstar.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »
Well Miller is gone (for nothing), so moving right along into a season of lowered expectations...

This on the Sixers site: http://www.nba.com/sixers/features/offseason_update_090724.html

with Lou Williams and Andre Iguodala likely be the starting guards going into Training Camp, with Willie Green and Jrue Holiday providing depth.

I like that they say Iguodala will enter training camp as starting SG.  Did not want to see him blocking Thad at SF this year, and the team needs its best players on the floor.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »
Well Miller is gone (for nothing), so moving right along into a season of lowered expectations...

This on the Sixers site: http://www.nba.com/sixers/features/offseason_update_090724.html

with Lou Williams and Andre Iguodala likely be the starting guards going into Training Camp, with Willie Green and Jrue Holiday providing depth.

I like that they say Iguodala will enter training camp as starting SG.  Did not want to see him blocking Thad at SF this year, and the team needs its best players on the floor.

Iguodala should be the starting 2 guard.  After just letting Miller walk for nothing, I don't think Ed is ballsy enough to start Willie Green again next year. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »
I agree that Iggy will start at the SG spot mainly because I don't think they will bench Sammy if he can't be traded, although they may limit his minutes.  The starting line up I see is Sam, Brand, Thad, Iggy and Lou.  Holiday will need to come on really fast, but I don't see that happening.  He needs time.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2009, 06:35:24 PM »
Chandler for Okafor.  Wow- did not see that one coming.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2009, 11:40:46 PM »
Chandler for Okafor.  Wow- did not see that one coming.

And still Sammy just sits there.  Apparently LB did not feel Okafor had the proper fire in his belly to play basketball.  No, really, you can't make that crap up.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »
The C's are said to be looking to deal Gabe Pruitt.  Anyone watch him in college and think he is worth picking up on the cheap for backcourt depth as a guy who still has room to grow?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2009, 12:51:36 AM »
Kevin Ollie signs with OKC, Royal Ivey rumored to be headed back to Philly, wow, this should knock the Phillies and Cliff Lee right off of the sports page.   ::)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2009, 06:35:54 AM »
Royal Ivey expected to officially be signed by Wed or Thurs.  Feel the excitement.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2009, 09:03:12 AM »
Royal Ivey expected to officially be signed by Wed or Thurs.  Feel the excitement.

My wife will be pleased, she does not follow the Sixers much, but she likes Royal Ivey's name.  He would make a good super-hero with plant powers or something like that.

Wow, you know the off-season sucks when that is the best thing I can come up with to post.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:43:28 PM by Skates »

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2009, 03:14:25 PM »
So we draft a tall defensive first point guard, and then we re-sign Royal Ivey.  Good to know that 3ppg and .6apg is acceptable production off the bench in the eyes of our front office.