Author Topic: Turkolues stuff of Kobe  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turkolues stuff of Kobe
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »
Technically, when a player touches the rim it's goal tending.  So both plays were goal tending. 
Not true, and i know you mean well.  Believe it or not the rule does allow players to go thru the cylinder in some situations.  weaksause posted the NBAs explaination and it is true.  I had previously also thought touching the rim was auto goaltend.  It isnt.
The Howard block was tending not because Howard went thru the cylinder but because Gasol had the ball in the cylinder zone.
There are qualifications but lunch beckons.....

That said, Gasols finger barely touched the rim
Take the glasses off, it was enough to move the rim.  Moot point as rookie blew the shot but WOW if the rim shake would have turned a make into a miss you KNOW that would have been ignored.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:28:10 PM by Reality »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »
Technically, when a player touches the rim it's goal tending.  So both plays were goal tending. 
Not true, and i know you mean well.  Believe it or not the rule does allow players to go thru the cylinder in some situations.  weaksause posted the NBAs explaination and it is true.  I had previously also thought touching the rim was auto goaltend.  It isnt.
There are qualifications but lunch beckons.....

That said, Gasols finger barely touched the rim
Take the glasses off, it was enough to move the rim.  Moot point as rookie blew the shot but WOW if the rim shake would have turned a make into a miss you KNOW that would have been ignored.

So Gasol's was not, and Howard's was?  I know the rule, you have to make the rim move, right?   

Howard's was obvious, it could have been called by braille as the late Chicky baby used to say.  Gasol's was a close call and while I did see it, it wasn't until I had the benefit of instant replay that I saw it.  I was yelling from across the room from 20 feet away in real time at Howard's "block". 

So let's say they call both, same net result, right?  Courtney Lee gets the goal tending call to put it in to overtime.  There's really no controversy here, or with the Turkoglu block, or anywhere in the series because the calls have been very even.  A few missed ones on both sides, but very balanced overall, I'd say. 

Take your glasses off if you think the officiating has had any impact on this series in either direction. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 02:39:08 PM »
There's no controversy for anyone who saw the play.  Nice, clean block.

No controversy on Hedo but Rashard CLEARLY hit Kobe on his left arm on the way up.  They showed the play several times and it was obviously a foul on Rashard.

The Magic are so close, but still aren't playing well enough to win. This time you saw how effective Lewis and Turk could be.  The Magic aren't getting enough support from their guards. Lee and Alston just aren't getting it done, and Jameer isn't ready to play full minutes. This isn't normal for their guards, they can usually shoot well enough that they don't hurt the team.

I think the problem is Jameer.  The emotional boost of giving Jameer minutes is really hurting Rafer.  Johnson isn't getting any minutes so IMO that has screwed up their PG play.  Lee's play is being affected by having to guard Kobe and being a rookie in the Finals is also starting to cause him problems.

I was hoping for a split, I think it's very difficult for a team to hold serve three times in succession on their home floor. The pressure is clearly on Orlando to win all three, so they can avoid having to go back to LA in a must-win situation.

I'm hoping for a 4 game sweep, hoping is great.....  Lakers just need to win 1 out of the 3 games and I'll be very satisfied with the trip.

Since Orlando's problem is primarily offense and hitting open shots, there's not a lot they can do other than make them.  Make no mistake, they are used to scoring near 100 per game in regulation time, just as LA is. Neither team is performing as well, and although some of it is due to defense, a lot of it is just poor play and a lack of discipline.

The Lakers defense has a lot to do with Howards lack of production, but the Magic perimeter players are just missing shots.  In game 2 the Lakers did not play with intensity for most of the game and Hedo/Lewis got wide open shots because the Lakers defense was asleep.  I don't know how much better Hedo/Lewis can shot but if the Magic are going to start winning some games they are going to have to get production from their guards.

Lakers deserve credit for coming out strong in OT. Too bad Orlando couldn't put more pressure on them by scoring. Momentum is with the Lakers, and Orlando better come to play Tuesday.

Orlando's mistake was not letting Howard touch the ball for most of the OT.  Even though Howard was not scoring he was making excellent decisions when he was double teamed and hitting his team mates for excellent shots.  This is EXACTLY what everyone has been telling you rick, perimeter teams do not do well in the playoffs, it's strange that the Magic have gone as far as they have but in OT it really showed what everyone has been saying about perimeter teams.  You can see that "new style" BS argument going down in flames.  No excuse for Howard not even TOUCHING the ball in 3 1/2 minutes of a 5 minute OT.  In order for the Magic perimeter game to flourish they MUST run the offense through Dwight.

That is exactly right. Orlando's offense should run through Howard. The mistake is relying too much on Hedo, without giving the Lakers anyone to occupy their defenders.  Once they are forced to double Howard, which they are, there's always someone open, the Magic just have to have enough people on the floor to make them pay for the double. There's nothing really novel about that, just that they can also make shots from long range.

Alston is erratic as a player, you might blame Jameer for Game 1, but in Game 2 Alston sucked again.  Just one of those guys has a reasonable shooting game and Orlando wins.  As it was, this outside shooting team just missed a layup to win the game.  Orlando did a terrible job of clock management,  why did Hedo leave six seconds on the clock to begin with? They should have waited longer before taking the shot.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 05:36:44 PM »
You're attempting to equate the Lewis feather brush on Kobme with the Ariza "prison assault".  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE69d0H9bz0

I know if any Laker hit Rashard/Hedo on the arm like that with no call there would be screams of bloody murder and conspiracy.  :D
Contrasted with:
The only problem with that play is that Rashard Lewis fouled Kobe, Rashard slapped Kobe on the left arm and the ball got loose, then Hedo blcoked Kobe.  They were letting them play so I get why they didn't call that foul to send Kobe to the line.  On the flip, Hedo got prison "assualted" by Ariza and no call, it was a clean hit on the ball but there was so much contact that I thought it was a foul.
Oh the irony.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 05:46:02 PM »

So Gasol's was not, and Howard's was?  I know the rule, you have to make the rim move, right?   

So let's say they call both, same net result, right? 
I think both were.  I did not see the entire Howard block but the photo has him clearly blocking Gasols shot as the ball in in the cylinder area (which the imaginary cylinder goes up to the ceiling)
I'm doing dinner on Tuesday with my NBA offical contact.  Will/already have asked him to have detailed explanation on both plays.
Insider info i will include what food/drink he orders.

because the calls have been very even.  A few missed ones on both sides, but very balanced overall, I'd say. 

Take your glasses off if you think the officiating has had any impact on this series in either direction. 
See above re Kobme recieving feather fouls vs Turkey not.
Also the fighting thru screens by especially Azira but also Swisher.  If that much contact is allowed by Magic fighting thru screens then fine.  It wasn't even close.

The Kobme fall down play was a key at 82-81.  Reaction?

Beyond that i think the Magic cut the Lakers a huge break with a couple end of game possessions, with the unforced turns esp the JJ Redick bad bounce pass to Swisher.  Magic had a stretch of like 3 minutes in the late 4th where they had three turns in a row.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »

So let's say they call both, same net result, right? 
I think both were.  I did not see the entire Howard block but the photo has him clearly blocking Gasols shot as the ball in in the cylinder area (which the imaginary cylinder goes up to the ceiling)
I'm doing dinner on Tuesday with my NBA offical contact.  Will/already have asked him to have detailed explanation on both plays.
Insider info i will include what food/drink he orders.

They were both goal tending, technically.  That was my point.  My other point was also that Howard's was so blatant even a blind person could have called it, while Gasol's was very difficult to see with the naked eye in real time.  Again, I needed instant replay to see the rim move ... and it wasn't much.  They're both goaltending, but one was extremely obvious while the other wasn't.  No biggie, calls get missed all of the time.  In this case it worked out because the two baskets cancelled each other out.   

because the calls have been very even.  A few missed ones on both sides, but very balanced overall, I'd say. 

See above re Kobme recieving feather fouls vs Turkey not.
Also the fighting thru screens by especially Azira but also Swisher.  If that much contact is allowed by Magic fighting thru screens then fine.  It wasn't even close.

The Kobme fall down play was a key at 82-81.  Reaction?

Beyond that i think the Magic cut the Lakers a huge break with a couple end of game possessions, with the unforced turns esp the JJ Redick bad bounce pass to Swisher.  Magic had a stretch of like 3 minutes in the late 4th where they had three turns in a row.

I agree that there wasn't much contact on the Kobe foul where he was falling down and I think they dinged Peitrus with the foul.  Tough call for Orlando, no doubt about it.  I agree Kobe got some calls, I also saw a lot of contact when he took it to the hoop that wasn't called.  THIS HAPPENS IN EVERY SINGLE GAME REGARDLESS OF WHO's PLAYING.  There are going to be a few bad calls both ways.  That said, this series has not in the least been biased one way or the other.  If I didn't have a life I would sit and watch a game and note bad calls on both sides and the time in the game they occurred.  But I'd rather watch the game with my friends, drink a few beers and relax and not have a friggin clipboard in my hand taking notes. 

You're trying to create controversy where there is none, Reality.  Your schtick has and always will be that the refs/league gift the Lakers calls and that's why they win.  That hasn't been the case at all in these playoffs, yet you continue to ride your schtick.  Go with it, I think it's funny ... demented and sad, but social (that last part was a borrowed from the Breakfast Club, Mr. Pop Culture) ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »
You're trying to create controversy where there is none, Reality.  Your schtick has and always will be that the refs/league gift the Lakers calls and that's why they win.  That hasn't been the case at all in these playoffs, yet you continue to ride your schtick.  Go with it, I think it's funny ... demented and sad, but social (that last part was a borrowed from the Breakfast Club, Mr. Pop Culture) ;)

msc, you ignorant slut!  WTF is wrong with being in a physics club?  We talk about physics, properties of physics...ya stuff like how Kobe's "physics" make him Uber-Human.  Uber-Human > Superman in case ya didn't knowzah! 

The schtick has gotten beyond old and tired, hence the "ignore" feature.  I think I might be the first poster to use it, I want some kind of commemorative plaque or something!  ;D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »
msc

I was trying to talk about key plays down the stretch of a current Finals game.  You were doing fine.
As Jomal said, the Laker posters have NEVER had to worry about reffing, so....
Jomal:
Real men cry foul over the officials, believe me.  Cry

Laker fans have never, really been on the receiving end of a League conspiracy so I do not expect them to understand.  Shocked

WoWkoast i will work on a plaque commemorating your HyporSkirt status.
But i am enjoying the ignore feature. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:01:21 PM by Reality »