Author Topic: Turkolues stuff of Kobe  (Read 5045 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Turkolues stuff of Kobe
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:07:41 AM »
Any comments on the *best closer in the NBAs* game-on-the-line shot which got completely cleanly blocked by Turkey.  Who got the ball to boot and called timeout with enough time to set up the game winning lob pass (inbounded by Turkey) for the easy layup to the Orlando rookie.  Player of the game, Tukeyloo!  Oh that's right rookie missed the gimme layup.

Which btw Kobees reaction was to animatedly whine for a foul call.  A foul call!  :D :D 

Crisis averted Laker Fan.  Ohh what that would have done for Kobs *legacy*  :D :D

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turkolues stuff of Kobe
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:53:52 AM »
That was a nice block by Turkoglu. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:07:27 AM »
There's no controversy for anyone who saw the play.  Nice, clean block.

The Magic are so close, but still aren't playing well enough to win. This time you saw how effective Lewis and Turk could be.  The Magic aren't getting enough support from their guards. Lee and Alston just aren't getting it done, and Jameer isn't ready to play full minutes. This isn't normal for their guards, they can usually shoot well enough that they don't hurt the team.

I was hoping for a split, I think it's very difficult for a team to hold serve three times in succession on their home floor. The pressure is clearly on Orlando to win all three, so they can avoid having to go back to LA in a must-win situation.

Since Orlando's problem is primarily offense and hitting open shots, there's not a lot they can do other than make them.  Make no mistake, they are used to scoring near 100 per game in regulation time, just as LA is. Neither team is performing as well, and although some of it is due to defense, a lot of it is just poor play and a lack of discipline.

Lakers deserve credit for coming out strong in OT. Too bad Orlando couldn't put more pressure on them by scoring. Momentum is with the Lakers, and Orlando better come to play Tuesday.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »
That was a nice block by Turkoglu. 

That was a clean block and quick thinking to call a timeout by Hedo.  The only problem with that play is that Rashard Lewis fouled Kobe, Rashard slapped Kobe on the left arm and the ball got loose, then Hedo blcoked Kobe.  They were letting them play so I get why they didn't call that foul to send Kobe to the line.  On the flip, Hedo got prison "assualted" by Ariza and no call, it was a clean hit on the ball but there was so much contact that I thought it was a foul.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »
There's no controversy for anyone who saw the play.  Nice, clean block.

No controversy on Hedo but Rashard CLEARLY hit Kobe on his left arm on the way up.  They showed the play several times and it was obviously a foul on Rashard.

The Magic are so close, but still aren't playing well enough to win. This time you saw how effective Lewis and Turk could be.  The Magic aren't getting enough support from their guards. Lee and Alston just aren't getting it done, and Jameer isn't ready to play full minutes. This isn't normal for their guards, they can usually shoot well enough that they don't hurt the team.

I think the problem is Jameer.  The emotional boost of giving Jameer minutes is really hurting Rafer.  Johnson isn't getting any minutes so IMO that has screwed up their PG play.  Lee's play is being affected by having to guard Kobe and being a rookie in the Finals is also starting to cause him problems.

I was hoping for a split, I think it's very difficult for a team to hold serve three times in succession on their home floor. The pressure is clearly on Orlando to win all three, so they can avoid having to go back to LA in a must-win situation.

I'm hoping for a 4 game sweep, hoping is great.....  Lakers just need to win 1 out of the 3 games and I'll be very satisfied with the trip.

Since Orlando's problem is primarily offense and hitting open shots, there's not a lot they can do other than make them.  Make no mistake, they are used to scoring near 100 per game in regulation time, just as LA is. Neither team is performing as well, and although some of it is due to defense, a lot of it is just poor play and a lack of discipline.

The Lakers defense has a lot to do with Howards lack of production, but the Magic perimeter players are just missing shots.  In game 2 the Lakers did not play with intensity for most of the game and Hedo/Lewis got wide open shots because the Lakers defense was asleep.  I don't know how much better Hedo/Lewis can shot but if the Magic are going to start winning some games they are going to have to get production from their guards.

Lakers deserve credit for coming out strong in OT. Too bad Orlando couldn't put more pressure on them by scoring. Momentum is with the Lakers, and Orlando better come to play Tuesday.

Orlando's mistake was not letting Howard touch the ball for most of the OT.  Even though Howard was not scoring he was making excellent decisions when he was double teamed and hitting his team mates for excellent shots.  This is EXACTLY what everyone has been telling you rick, perimeter teams do not do well in the playoffs, it's strange that the Magic have gone as far as they have but in OT it really showed what everyone has been saying about perimeter teams.  You can see that "new style" BS argument going down in flames.  No excuse for Howard not even TOUCHING the ball in 3 1/2 minutes of a 5 minute OT.  In order for the Magic perimeter game to flourish they MUST run the offense through Dwight.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:23:46 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE69d0H9bz0

I know if any Laker hit Rashard/Hedo on the arm like that with no call there would be screams of bloody murder and conspiracy.  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »
Good block.  I like he didn't quit on the play and he kept his eye on the ball the entire time.  Kobe really should have took another step into the paint or given a head fake.  He had enough time to do it.

Though I wonder if every time the Lakers make a good play if I need to make a brand new thread about it?  Instead of discussing it in one of the 3 other threads about the Magic/Lakers....I dunno....
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:52:22 AM »
Good block.  I like he didn't quit on the play and he kept his eye on the ball the entire time.  Kobe really should have took another step into the paint or given a head fake.  He had enough time to do it.

Though I wonder if every time the Lakers make a good play if I need to make a brand new thread about it?  Instead of discussing it in one of the 3 other threads about the Magic/Lakers....I dunno....

LOL!  We should start a new thread for every good Lakers play.  How many blocks did Lamar and Gasol make in the game?  That's like 4 or 5 threads already.  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE69d0H9bz0

I know if any Laker hit Rashard/Hedo on the arm like that with no call there would be screams of bloody murder and conspiracy.  :D

How about Howard's blatantly obvious THROUGH THE BOTTOM OF THE BASKET goal tend on Gasol in the first that was called a block? Can't find a video but he went through the bottom, grabbing the net and pushed the ball back out of the cylinder, clear goal tend, no call.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:57:37 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:56:41 AM »

LOL!  We should start a new thread for every good Lakers play.  How many blocks did Lamar and Gasol make in the game?  That's like 4 or 5 threads already.  ;D

I'm thinking the steal by Derek Fisher off JJ Reddick in OT deserves it's own thread.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
I'm thinking the steal by Derek Fisher off JJ Reddick in OT deserves it's own thread.

That play is worth two threads, one for the steal and another thread for the foul Fisher drew.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:16:04 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »
For the record had this thread been made by any other poster I wouldn't be making these comments.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »

How 'bout when Kobe fell down all on his own untouched at 82-81 and the Magic recovered the ball 2:40 to play.  Tweet!  *Foul* on Turkolue.  Van Grunty tried to mention how Kobme was untouched but Mark Jackson quickly changed the subject.

LLLLLLakerball rrrrrrraaaaaauuuugh. 
Lets get this play by the *games best closer* its own thread.

Laker Fan Dan,
here is your answer (by WOW) to the Howard hand thru the cylinder:
What I don't understand is how Howard got away with blocking Gasols' dunk by sticking his hand through the rim, on the flip that missed shot by Lee could have been called goal tending as well cause Gasol hit the rim and caused it to move, but if Dwight can do it why not Gasol.  Grin

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 02:20:39 PM »

How 'bout when Kobe fell down all on his own untouched at 82-81 and the Magic recovered the ball 2:40 to play.  Tweet!  *Foul* on Turkolue.  Van Grunty tried to mention how Kobme was untouched but Mark Jackson quickly changed the subject.

LLLLLLakerball rrrrrrraaaaaauuuugh. 
Lets get this play by the *games best closer* its own thread.

Laker Fan Dan,
here is your answer (by WOW) to the Howard hand thru the cylinder:
What I don't understand is how Howard got away with blocking Gasols' dunk by sticking his hand through the rim, on the flip that missed shot by Lee could have been called goal tending as well cause Gasol hit the rim and caused it to move, but if Dwight can do it why not Gasol.  Grin

Technically, when a player touches the rim it's goal tending.  So both plays were goal tending.  That said, Gasols finger barely touched the rim and Dwight Howard reached his hand completely through the rim for the block.  One was impossible to miss and the other was an extremely close call that was tough to see by the naked eye. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »
Since Orlando's problem is primarily offense and hitting open shots, there's not a lot they can do other than make them. 
Disagree.  As Van Grunty noted (!!!!), in crunch time JJ Redick got the ball twice from trey bomb area with a clear path to the basket.  He did drive the one, could have kept going for a contested layup or done a pullup jumper from short range.  Instead he tried the dumb pass that Swisher easily intercepted and sent the Flamers the other way for two.  Two point swing for sure and potentially a four point swing.  That was a huge blown possession.  Prior to that he simply missed the wide open trey.  Can't really fault him for taking it but i would have rather he took the ball towards the rack.

Make no mistake, they are used to scoring near 100 per game in regulation time, just as LA is. Neither team is performing as well, and although some of it is due to defense, a lot of it is just poor play and a lack of discipline.
Agree.