Author Topic: Spurs may grab Gooden...  (Read 7216 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs may grab Gooden...
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »
"older" Gooden is in his 20's you moron!  You got OWNED big time on that one!  Obviously you cannot respond.  :D
"Older" Gooden is injured, slow and plodding.  Not the athletic F Timmy Dunks deserves.
Try rooting for a team that earns its titles.

owned.

??? ??? ???
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
If Marc Gasol continues to improve his game he can easily be a 'potential' all-star

You know Gasol's numbers are comparable to Bynum's and Oden's right now.

What numbers would those be, and just to cut to the chase, why are those numbers the numbers that matter?

Points, rebounds, blocks, assists, FG% are comparable between the 3.  They all hover around the same numbers in each category.  Just stats wise he is on par with another top 1st year center and a solid 3rd year center.  Since those numbers tend to be the ones looked at by average fans and coaches who will make the selections for the all-star game I felt it was valid to bring them up.  I am trying to do a better job of using both my (as WOW puts it) supreme knowledge of the game and stats when discussing bball here.

The numbers actually don't matter as much if we are talking about getting into the all-star game in a few years though.  If Bynum continues to play well in Los Angeles he is going to have more NBA fan exposure than Marc Gasol will.  I would say that Greg Oden, as Portland continues to be a solid team, would get more attention than Gasol as well. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 10:50:18 AM »
And yet in Memphis, Pau made it to the All-Star game, while players like Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, and Dirk Nowitzki were playing in the conference.  That's 3 MVPs there, folks, and we're talking that Marc Gasol *MIGHT* be able to compete *IF* he keeps improving.

<sarcasm>
I'd *SO* much rather have Marc Gasol.  He's got so much more room to improve than Pau does.  If he does well, he might, against inferior competition, accomplish something his brother did.  Don't know why Spain plays Pau in front of him.
</sarcasm>
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »
And yet in Memphis, Pau made it to the All-Star game, while players like Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, and Dirk Nowitzki were playing in the conference.  That's 3 MVPs there, folks, and we're talking that Marc Gasol *MIGHT* be able to compete *IF* he keeps improving.

<sarcasm>
I'd *SO* much rather have Marc Gasol.  He's got so much more room to improve than Pau does.  If he does well, he might, against inferior competition, accomplish something his brother did.  Don't know why Spain plays Pau in front of him.
</sarcasm>

You said he will never be an all star, we will have to wait to see.  You can't write him off right away based on 40 games into his pro career.  It took Pau Gasol 4 years to get selected on the all-star team as a reserve for similar reasons.

No one is directly comparing Pau and Marc but you btw.  I simply said he wasn't as bad of a player as people were making it seem based on the trade being so one sided (Which is exactly what you are doing even if it is blatant sarcasm.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 01:15:04 PM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 03:36:58 PM »
The trade was ENTIRELY one-sided.  LA robbed Memphis blind.

Pau Gasol is in the top 5 of win shares this year.  He's a proven All-Star...and he went back to the All-Star game again this year.  The big "softie" is number 5 in the league in Offensive Rebounding - which just happens to tie him with that oft-noted wimp, Paul Millsap.  His offensive rating is tops in the league, per basketball-reference.com.

For this, Memphis got Kwame Brown's expiring contract, Javaris Crittendon, and Marc Gasol.  Pau has outscored ALL THREE 1104 - 930.  But if you want the really damning number, the 3 teams holding those players currently COMBINED have 60 victories - Gasol's team has 49.  He's one freaking assist from having as many as ALL THREE of the other guys put together - AND ONE OF THEM IS SUPPOSED TO BE A POINT GUARD!  228 Free throws made by the Marc+Crittendon+Brown combo;  263 made by Pau by himself.  He's even hit more 3 pointers - 1 - than the other 3 PUT TOGETHER...when one of them is supposed to be at least a DECENT shooter.

HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »

Pau Gasol is in the top 5 of win shares this year.  He's a proven All-Star...and he went back to the All-Star game again this year.  The big "softie" is number 5 in the league in Offensive Rebounding - which just happens to tie him with that oft-noted wimp, Paul Millsap.  His offensive rating is tops in the league, per basketball-reference.com.

For this, Memphis got Kwame Brown's expiring contract, Javaris Crittendon, and Marc Gasol.  Pau has outscored ALL THREE 1104 - 930.  But if you want the really damning number, the 3 teams holding those players currently COMBINED have 60 victories - Gasol's team has 49.  He's one freaking assist from having as many as ALL THREE of the other guys put together - AND ONE OF THEM IS SUPPOSED TO BE A POINT GUARD!  228 Free throws made by the Marc+Crittendon+Brown combo;  263 made by Pau by himself.  He's even hit more 3 pointers - 1 - than the other 3 PUT TOGETHER...when one of them is supposed to be at least a DECENT shooter.

HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

That's great Joe.  We all know that.  In fact we all were in agreement about this LAST YEAR.

But that is not what the conversation was about.  The conversation was about Marc Gasol being a decent player and maybe being apart of the new class of good centers in the Western Conference with the ability to MAYBE make the all-star team (as a reserve).

People say that Oden and Bynum can make the all-star team and I think it's not a stretch to say Marc Gasol maybe able to as well.  Like I said we will have to wait and see.  To write him off because the trade was one-sided is not fair.  I understand as a fan of a team in the WC the trade makes you upset but that's a different thread.  One that was beaten to death LAST YEAR.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »

HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

How is it robbery if Memphis agreed to it to begin with?  Didn't the owner come back later and say it was a big mistake on his part to trade gasol?  I don't see how this is robbery for one team's own stupidity.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
How is it robbery if Memphis agreed to it to begin with?  Didn't the owner come back later and say it was a big mistake on his part to trade gasol?  I don't see how this is robbery for one team's own stupidity.
You're attempting to bust Joe over word schematics?
Robbery, rip off, take your pic.
"Collusion" if you want to get into linguistics legalize.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 10:53:41 PM »
You're attempting to bust Joe over word schematics?
Robbery, rip off, take your pic.
"Collusion" if you want to get into linguistics legalize.

I don't disagree with his position the brothers Gasol.  I just saw the statement and had this  ??? about it.  Great move by LA in the getting Gasol.