Author Topic: Sixers @ Clips - NYE  (Read 4055 times)

jemagee

Sixers @ Clips - NYE
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
So anyone watching this game tonight - i mean it starts at 6:30 local time for me - and this might be the only win for a while - but east coast i figure you're all drunk by 9:30 right?:)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Sixers @ Clips - NYE
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:34:31 PM »
As much as I'd like to see Speights start, I figure they want some continuity and no resason to reward him off of his worst effort (0 boards in 17 min.)

I would like to see less of Evans. 

the Thad/Thornton match-up is always entertaining.

I could care less who wins.  If they win the team should not pat itself on the back- no corners have been turned. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:04:09 PM »
With Kaman and Randolph out they absolutely have to win.  I would like to see a nice, disciplined game as a way of starting to turn a corner.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 03:49:58 PM »
A nine point win by the good guys.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »
I'm up in Maine so won't be seeing this one.  Nothing like a showdown between two shitty teams to cap off the year. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 04:43:21 PM »
Finally a game the Sixers can win. 

In spite of not rebounding and playing rather poor defense, I'd still like to see Speights get more minutes and more opportunities to learn.  He's the only inside scorer they have, unless you think Thad Young has an inside game. If the Sixers are going to be effective in a half-court offense, they need a post presence as well as outside shooters.  They should be able to create enough space to give Iguodala and Young room to drive to the  basket.  It helps them tremendously when they are able to hit from outside themselves.  That at least, has been a place where Speights excels.

His offensive prowess makes up somewhat for his defensive deficiencies. I am in no way giving him a pass, however, defense and rebounding are just as important for the Sixers, and if Speights can become a defensive stopper, the team would be improved significantly.

I actually like the idea of Sam and Marreese on the floor at the same time. Particularly with Brand out, it's a way to give them a rebounding and defensive advantage, you might get one of them out of the lane, but not both.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
Any coach who gives reggie evans minutes if other big men aren't fouled out should be fired

And at least i get this game in high def
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:27:27 PM by jemagee »

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:51:27 PM »
Nice Alley Oop by Al Thornton called a basket interference - but kid has some control in the air - it was a sweet thing to watch.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 10:13:59 PM »
I'm going to watch later on the DVR.  Just finished watching I am Legend with my wife (and dog.)  Good flick...   Happy New Years.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:45:51 PM »
I AM Legend was quaint - i can't wait for the prequel sequel.

At the half the sixers are shooting a higher percentage (57%) than they are grabbing defensive rebounds (50%) - that isn't a tasty recipe

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 11:11:44 PM »
So in the first clippers name, Ralph Lawler (i think that's his last name) couldn't pronounce the name Speights to save his life - the entire game he either called him sprites or spraytz - i forget which - this game they've learned how to pronounce it

(though they have no idea how sam dalembert could play for canada this olympic season)

Another thing they seem to get - that the sixers don't yet get - is why do you pass to sam in an offensive set - almost every time someone passes it to sam the announcers seem to question the wisdom of doing so.

Yet the sixers still haven't figured it?

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 11:25:18 PM »
End of 3

DReb% - 59.4
FG% - 47.5

slow start but maintained the slim lead - up 4 into the 4th

Offline pointguard86

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 11:26:31 PM »
i was scratching my head why they couldn't figure why or how Sam played for Team Canada.  As an announcer at least research the players a little bit.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 11:49:27 PM »
i was scratching my head why they couldn't figure why or how Sam played for Team Canada.  As an announcer at least research the players a little bit.

Drove me batty when he put the R in speights name last time - no one bothered to correct him.

Of cours Speights has gotten zero second half minutes

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 12:24:16 AM »
Could care less about getting the win, but I'm glad they went consistently to Thad and Lou down the stretch.  I hope they start getting Thad more consistently involved in the offense- but I have a hunch it was only because both teams went small all night.

As for going small, it was painful to see Speights only get 7 min.  His development is more important than getting a win against the Clippers.  He needs 20+ min each night- and you would think the caretaker...err coach, DiLeo would know this?

As for the boxscore, Iguodala had the quietest 28/7/7 I have ever seen.  He really can fill the boxscore without dominating the ball- esp when the team gets out on the break.

Overall, not much to be gained in this one other than the last 2 minutes.  The team still looks like a bottom 10 team, and during much of the game most of the players still seem to be regressing.