Author Topic: Rick Fox somewhat throws Bynum under the bus, talks issues with young star  (Read 3738 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
So since the national media hasn't picked up the story (and may not) I thought I would give you super exclusive REAL LAKERS inside information......that came from KLAC in Los Angeles before the game.  REALAKERS news, not just some stuff anyone could find if they moved the dial last night....

Matt Money Smith and the guys that do the pre-game sat down with Rick Fox last night to discuss a few things, one being Andrew Bynum's attitude.    Some of you may or may not know but the Lakers coaching staff has been "frustrated" with Andrew's lack of intensity on the defensive end and running the floor.  Part of the Lakers slip in defense has been in part, they feel, to their young center not making it a point to patrol the paint and run the floor to get back.  They've gone as far to start to cut back his minutes to send a message.  In response the young center has been verbally complaining to anyone who will listen.   Rick and Money also spoke about how Andrew Bynum was gone around to the local broadcast team and other members of the media to TELL them to call him "A-Train" a nickname which they say was not given to him by teammates.  It was given to himself to do what Rick Fox called "self promotion" and that you "cant just give yourself a nick name" (side note:  Didn't this guy play with Shaq? Heh)

Another interesting issue brought up by Rick Fox was that Andrew Bynum has been trying to dictate how certain plays should be ran and how to handle certain situations on the floor.  Rick did say that no one specific was mad but he said when he played when young guys did that it was frustrating to the older guys as it came off like the younger guy knows more than the seasoned vets.

Problems brewing in LA LA Land?  Or is Bynum going to get a real verbal lashing from one of the older statesman of the Lakers squad?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

Re: Rick Fox somewhat throws Bynum under the bus, talks issues with young star
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I find it ironic that Rick Fox is talking to anyone about self promotion...unless it's giving tips

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:39:14 PM »
So since the national media hasn't picked up the story (and may not) I thought I would give you super exclusive REAL LAKERS inside information......that came from KLAC in Los Angeles before the game.  REALAKERS news, not just some stuff anyone could find if they moved the dial last night....

Matt Money Smith and the guys that do the pre-game sat down with Rick Fox last night to discuss a few things, one being Andrew Bynum's attitude.    Some of you may or may not know but the Lakers coaching staff has been "frustrated" with Andrew's lack of intensity on the defensive end and running the floor.  Part of the Lakers slip in defense has been in part, they feel, to their young center not making it a point to patrol the paint and run the floor to get back.  They've gone as far to start to cut back his minutes to send a message.  In response the young center has been verbally complaining to anyone who will listen.   Rick and Money also spoke about how Andrew Bynum was gone around to the local broadcast team and other members of the media to TELL them to call him "A-Train" a nickname which they say was not given to him by teammates.  It was given to himself to do what Rick Fox called "self promotion" and that you "cant just give yourself a nick name" (side note:  Didn't this guy play with Shaq? Heh)

Another interesting issue brought up by Rick Fox was that Andrew Bynum has been trying to dictate how certain plays should be ran and how to handle certain situations on the floor.  Rick did say that no one specific was mad but he said when he played when young guys did that it was frustrating to the older guys as it came off like the younger guy knows more than the seasoned vets.

Problems brewing in LA LA Land?  Or is Bynum going to get a real verbal lashing from one of the older statesman of the Lakers squad?

Sasha has been accused of giving himself "The Machine" nickname but he claims it was some announcer or something.

IMO it would be a bad move for Kobe to be the vet that calls out Bynum after the Kidd/Bynum comments he made.  IMO it would be great for Odom or Fisher to be the guy that calls him aside.  I would prefer it be Odom.  Odom is more of a "players player" type of guy, Fisher is a little too clean cut or "square" to get through to a young guy.  Plus Odom can be a good example of a guy who's sacraficing his own game for the sake of the team.  Odom asked for, as was given, the position of "team co-captain" in order to be the leader of the 2nd unit.  I hope they work this out because they need Bynum's size, rebounding, and shot blocking to do well in the playoffs this season.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:53:03 PM »

Sasha has been accused of giving himself "The Machine" nickname but he claims it was some announcer or something.

Joel Myers gave it to him.  What is funny is he kind of said it as a joke on the air and it stuck.

I agree that Kobe should not be the one to pull him aside.  He is the lead by example type guy.  He works hard, he plays hard, he competes.  He is however not the type of guy who can convince people in the same way an Odom or Fisher can.  Or even a Magic Johnson or Kareem can.

They did say it has not got out of hand but it is something worth mentioning.  Kurt Rambis talked about it last week as well during an interview but he put it a little nicer by saying he thinks all young players go through this phase and is part of the maturing process.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »
What happened to Kareem working with Bynum - wasn't he there last year helping the kid out?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:56:42 PM »
What happened to Kareem working with Bynum - wasn't he there last year helping the kid out?

Mr. G.O.A.T. still there and working with Bynum.  Everytime Bynum does something good or bad they flash the cameras over the "Capt"
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »

He still works with him on his game but Kareem is not a people person per say, at least he wasnt when he was actually on the Lakers.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:59:29 PM »
Maybe Bynum should be sat down with an NBA history book.  He might then realize that there was a player called "A-Train" that would have embarrassed the youngster on the court.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:03:54 PM »
I'll look to see if there is a podcast from last night but I doubt it....they talked about other things that were not all just negative.  I just wanted to share the information with everyone on the board so *IF* the national media picks it up we can brag about how our board is ahead of the curve always!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 01:10:32 PM »
Maybe Bynum should be sat down with an NBA history book.  He might then realize that there was a player called "A-Train" that would have embarrassed the youngster on the court.

Tell me about it.  I used to wear the number 53 in my HS b-ball days.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

Nice thread.  Interesting discussion.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »

Nice thread.  Interesting discussion.

LOL, the discussion only includes a guy who averaged a double double for the Spurs 3 of the 5 years he played there while shooting around 60% from the field.

Self OWNAGE by a RealFAKESpurs Fan.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »
Reality was just sharing his FAB-YOU-LOSS new desktop picture - give the kid a break

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »
Reality was just sharing his FAB-YOU-LOSS new desktop picture - give the kid a break

There are no feme-guys in the pic so I doubt it's even on his hard drive.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »

There are no feme-guys in the pic so I doubt it's even on his hard drive.
Whoopi?