Author Topic: OT - Cadillac Records  (Read 4933 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT - Cadillac Records
« on: December 12, 2008, 11:03:10 AM »
I watched this movie last night.  Very good movie.  The acting is really well done, and Mrs. Jay-z really does a great performance.  Don't want to ruion any scenes by telling everyone what I liked about it.  I just really think it is a movie you will appreciate watching.   After watching this I had to download some etta james, howlin wolf, and little walter last night.  great film.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - Cadillac Records
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:10:30 AM »
Other then your panting over mrs Jazz-z is there a plotline?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:25:49 AM »
Other then your panting over mrs Jazz-z is there a plotline?

Plot?  It's about how these artist got started when there was no access for black singers in this country, when what we call "The Blues" would have been called "Race Music."  The movie is about how they started this label, changed music and the struggles they faced.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »
It's about a real record label I do believe.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »
It's based on the Chess/Checker label out of Chicago.   Glad to hear you liked it X3.  I wan't it to be a good movie because it's such a fascinating subject but the only review I had read said it lacked focus.   

I'd be curious to know more about how the owner, Leonard Chess is portrayed.  While he had an amazing eye for talent he also ripped off that same talent.   Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley are (or were Bo's case) rightly angry about how much money they were cheated out of.   I know that was pretty much par for the course in the music industry back then but I gather Chess was especially bad about it.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »
It's based on the Chess/Checker label out of Chicago.   Glad to hear you liked it X3.  I wan't it to be a good movie because it's such a fascinating subject but the only review I had read said it lacked focus.   

I'd be curious to know more about how the owner, Leonard Chess is portrayed.  While he had an amazing eye for talent he also ripped off that same talent.   Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley are (or were Bo's case) rightly angry about how much money they were cheated out of.   I know that was pretty much par for the course in the music industry back then but I gather Chess was especially bad about it.

I don't want to ruin it for you.  I can say all the selections for this movie really seem like the right people for the parts they all play. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »
Oh dope!  I am glad you saw it and posted your thoughts here.  I heard about it and wasn't sure about making time to see it.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 12:27:53 PM »
Excellent. Yeah, I don't know about Beyonce's acting skills but at least they hired someone believable  music wise to play Etta James.  Plus Jeffrey Wright is always good.

By the way did I just put an apostrophe in the word "want"?   Yes, yes I did.  That's just plain embarrasing even for a hurried work time internet post.  :-[
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 12:52:58 PM »
Excellent. Yeah, I don't know about Beyonce's acting skills but at least they hired someone believable  music wise to play Etta James.  Plus Jeffrey Wright is always good.

By the way did I just put an apostrophe in the word "want"?   Yes, yes I did.  That's just plain embarrasing even for a hurried work time internet post.  :-[

Beyonce's role was great actually IMO.  Her singing in ths movie was great too, listen to her and then listen to the actual etta songs, Beyonce did her justice in this movie.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »
Speaking of movies, anyone seen the preview to the new JJ Abrams "Star Trek"? 

I saw the latest trailer and was like, "Wow!"

but then thought about "Cloverfield" and wondered if it would be as horrible as that was...

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 02:27:58 PM »
I'm not really htat interested in a star trek reboot

I enjoyed cloverfield - though the hype was a bit huge - and though that the movie monster was the ugliest damn monster i've seen in a movie...ever

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »
I'm not really htat interested in a star trek reboot

I enjoyed cloverfield - though the hype was a bit huge - and though that the movie monster was the ugliest damn monster i've seen in a movie...ever

It was not as great as I thought it would be, and I was looking forward to the whole idea that the movie was form the point of view of handheld cams.  yeah, the monster was nasty, but the movie could have been better IMO.  I am not a big trek fan (like star wars more) but the trailer looks really cool. 

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »
I do like many of the actors, especially the spock and scotty characters (but way too sexy on uhura, and she's hispanic now?) and the idea of a reboot, plus i'm predisposed to like JJ Abrams (his dad is my bosses poker buddy, i want tickets to the world premiere just because ;) )...

Yeah, the hype on cloverfield was immense, but i think people would have liked it better if it came out of nowhere with no previews aside form that one statue of liberty thing - but hollywood and saturation marketing go together like bacon and chocolate...

Anyone here like hancock?  I thought it was too short but was surprised that i liked it

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »
I do like many of the actors, especially the spock and scotty characters (but way too sexy on uhura, and she's hispanic now?) and the idea of a reboot, plus i'm predisposed to like JJ Abrams (his dad is my bosses poker buddy, i want tickets to the world premiere just because ;) )...

Yeah, the hype on cloverfield was immense, but i think people would have liked it better if it came out of nowhere with no previews aside form that one statue of liberty thing - but hollywood and saturation marketing go together like bacon and chocolate...

Anyone here like hancock?  I thought it was too short but was surprised that i liked it

Hancock was ok for what it was.  I am interested in watching "The Spirit" when it comes out, and "The Watchmen"  just looks sick.  can't wait for that to come out.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 03:15:19 PM »
Hancock was ok for what it was.  I am interested in watching "The Spirit" when it comes out, and "The Watchmen"  just looks sick.  can't wait for that to come out.

every time i see watchmen commercials i get nostalgic for when i had all 12 issues of watchmen in mint condition and wish i still did :)

Spirit looks a little cheesy and too much in the sin city style (which i liked but come on frank, go a different directoin this time) and has sarah paulson who i like (she was on studio 60 - hence she has awesomeness)

I'm still trying to figure out something worth seeing on christmas day - right now i think it's desperaux