Author Topic: Lakers become Sacramento road kill!  (Read 12684 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Lakers become Sacramento road kill!
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2008, 02:10:34 PM »
The difference is MJ did win.  Lebron has yet to do it.  So while he is in the same situation he hasn't won anything.  He hasn't had help so I am not saying his entire career is tarnished, he will get his chance to win.  I am def not holding it against him but I also am not ignoring what Kobe did.   While you are right he was over shadowed by Shaq let's not pretend like he was not the #1 option in many playoff games and was a MAJOR contributor.  Let's not reduce him to Rick Fox status or Glen Rice status.  He won a large number of playoff games.  In fact Shaq and Kobe kind of switched off.  Kobe was the man on the road and Shaq was the man at home.  Do you remember when the Lakers went 16-1 in the playoffs?  That year Kobe has torching teams on the road, Shaq at home.  Lebron has not won a title or been on a championship team in any capacity.  Kobe was a MAJOR contributor to three. So regardless if Shaq was there or not there is a clear difference between the two.   You can't ignore that just because another player was there.  You wouldn't do that to Paul Pierce but you would do it to Kobe.  Obviously there is a HUGE bias towards him on your side but let's try for once for you to ignore that.

I don't see how dominating a league for 3 years as the #2 guy (and during the regular season and playoffs sometimes #1) is ignored as if it doesn't mean much.  A 10 game winning streak means more than that?  Come on. 

MJ won only after six years of futility and without any help up to then, which pretty much covers LeBron's career up to now as well, as he has just entered his sixth season. If Jordan or LeBron had a Shaq-type player in his prime as a teammate, it would have been a similar situation that could be compared. But because Kobe had Shaq, I guess you just can not comprehend how easy a skilled player like Kobe could make that work for himself. Maybe you can by just observing how many championships Kobe has won on his own since Shaq was traded.

Are you counting?

Sure Kobe was given the chance to win games. He still is, but he has yet to actually win a championship without that fallback guy taking triple coverage down low to free him up consistently. I don't know, but maybe you should consider that before crowning Kobe as the best individual player currently playing. And my point, by the way, is not how Kobe has played the last four years or so, when he was the best player in the League, but that LeBron, THIS SEASON, has played better and looks to have passed him up in overall skill. Including defense, where he blocks more shots and gets more steals. More assists too. Kobe's teammates can't catch his passes either?  

Championships are nice as a fallback in defense of a player's abilities, as they can tend to inflate a player's abilities or reveal them for what they are even more. They clearly revealed MJ's, but Kobe has that Shaq thing hanging over him that just makes you think - If LeBron had Shaq as a teammate, how would he have done as far as championships up to now? All we can do is look at how each is doing on their own, for the most part. The Lakers are skilled in keeping the talent level very high around Kobe. The Cavs are still working on that. In the mean time, LeBron seems to be doing a better overall job this season, even though both teams are way above average. I still maintain his abilities are looking better overall then Kobe's are.

No, that is not fair at all.  You can't ignore what Kobe did on the championship team just because Shaq was there.    What about the Indian Pacers finals in game 6 when Shaq was gone on the bench and he won the game?  Shaq wasn't there to win the game.  Kobe did it.  Is that acceptable based on your criteria?    Shaq didn't do everything for Kobe and Kobe made Shaq's life easier.  He benefitted from Kobe as well.  Why is it that you talk like Shaq only helped Kobe and not vice versa?  I think after Shaq parted and Kobe continued to do what he did with out him proved that it wasn't just Shaq who made Kobe.  If that was the case he would tank majorily.  He has not.  Shaq did not win every single game for the Lakers contrary to how you want to re-write history.  Any person who watches the Lakers often will back up everything I am saying.

This really is not that relevant to my arguement, wk. Kobe had his moments in the playoffs with Shaq, to be sure. But I still maintain he was ONLY in those championship games in the first place because of a certain teammate he had. Take Shaq out of those Laker teams and it stretches the imagination to think the Lakers would have been as successful. They may have still won a championship, but not three.

Kobe has been doing this for 4 years Jomal.  Maybe your memory is slipping up here.  He has clearly been toying with teams for YEARS now.  There is no one in the league that has matched up with him in combination of drive, basketball iq, speed, clutch, and scoring ability.  Lebron is getting up there now.  Kobe has been there for a while now.  You may not think this but everyone else in the league has said the same thing.  Including Lebron James himself.

Let me make it simpler for you. Kobe WAS the best player in the League the prior four seasons. I completely agree with you. From my observations of BOTH players this year, the Best Player In The League banner has passed over to LeBron. Based on that fact you pointed out that neither has won a championship yet, then clearly Paul Pierce is better then either, right? Forgetting for the moment the contributions of Garnett and Allen in making last year possible, of course.

This is an example of why I make my 'crystal ball' comments to you.  You clearly don't watch Laker games.  This proves that.  Kobe is playing 10 less minutes a game because......???? The Lakers have been blowing out teams up until the last 4.  They have a +12 winning point margin.  There have been 8-9 games where he played less than 2 minutes in the 4th quarter.  

You are right on this one. They both have benefitted from blowouts to take some fourth quarters off. Lately, though, LeBron is getting to rest more frequently, though as we know, that will change when the Cavs play better teams.

Really?  I think the PHX Suns of years past disagree with you.

Up until they played the defensive teams in the playoffs, that is. Is that what you meant?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2008, 02:38:05 PM »
I'll respond back JoMal.  Just wanted to say I read over the post but I can't give a detailed response until this weekend.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
IMO LeBron is ahead of both MJ and Kobe.  Bron-Bron single handedly took a mediocer team to the NBA finals.  I don't know how much of it was the decling play of the Pistons and how much of it was LeBron but all I know is he got further than MJ and Kobe did WITHOUT a decent supporting cast.

On OFFENSE, LeBron does look like a man amoung boys but his game is not complete like MJ and Kobe IMO.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »
MO LeBron is ahead of both MJ and Kobe.  Bron-Bron single handedly took a mediocer team to the NBA finals.

2001 Allen Iverson says "I'm in the discussion too" then. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2008, 04:48:48 PM »
MO LeBron is ahead of both MJ and Kobe.  Bron-Bron single handedly took a mediocer team to the NBA finals.

2001 Allen Iverson says "I'm in the discussion too" then. 

Are you referring to the team the year AI was the MVP of the league and ALL he to to work with was the Defensive Player of the Year, The Sixth Man of the Year AND the Coach of the Year?

That team?

STFU!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 05:03:13 PM »
Oh right - you can tell how good a team was by the awards that were given out that weren't really deserved?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »
MJ won only after six years of futility and without any help up to then, which pretty much covers LeBron's career up to now as well, as he has just entered his sixth season. If Jordan or LeBron had a Shaq-type player in his prime as a teammate, it would have been a similar situation that could be compared. But because Kobe had Shaq, I guess you just can not comprehend how easy a skilled player like Kobe could make that work for himself. Maybe you can by just observing how many championships Kobe has won on his own since Shaq was traded.

Are you counting?

I do not agree.  If Shaq had a polished offensive player like T-Mac, Ray Allen, D-Wade...ooops.... the results would have been the same.  A young MJ or LeBron would not have cut it IMO.  They were more effective scorers than Kobe early on but not as versatile.  Shaq needs a slasher BUT he also needs outside shooter who can spread the floor as well and IMO LeBron and MJ were not capable early in their careers to do what Kobe did, heck Kobe was not capable of doing what he did when he was younger.  Kobe failed miserably, most notably against the Jazz, and worked on his game and by the time PJ arrived Kobe was a 90% complete offensive player, he was still lacking a post up game.

How many titles did Shaq win without Kobe?  How many titles did Shaq win without Wade?  Shaq has proven he can NOT win a title without a polished wing player.  Before Kobe, Shaq won ZERO, the year Wade was hurt Shaq won ZERO.  This has been addressed before, why bring it up again?  Bored?  You replace Shaq with TD on Lakers squad with Kobe and they title 5 (FIVE) years in a row IMO.

Sure Kobe was given the chance to win games. He still is, but he has yet to actually win a championship without that fallback guy taking triple coverage down low to free him up consistently. I don't know, but maybe you should consider that before crowning Kobe as the best individual player currently playing. And my point, by the way, is not how Kobe has played the last four years or so, when he was the best player in the League, but that LeBron, THIS SEASON, has played better and looks to have passed him up in overall skill. Including defense, where he blocks more shots and gets more steals. More assists too. Kobe's teammates can't catch his passes either?

Again, see Shaq accomplishments comments above.

Championships are nice as a fallback in defense of a player's abilities, as they can tend to inflate a player's abilities or reveal them for what they are even more. They clearly revealed MJ's, but Kobe has that Shaq thing hanging over him that just makes you think - If LeBron had Shaq as a teammate, how would he have done as far as championships up to now? All we can do is look at how each is doing on their own, for the most part. The Lakers are skilled in keeping the talent level very high around Kobe. The Cavs are still working on that. In the mean time, LeBron seems to be doing a better overall job this season, even though both teams are way above average. I still maintain his abilities are looking better overall then Kobe's are.

I agree Kobe needs to prove he can do it without Shaq but only a below average fan doesn't see the flip side of the coin, actually 3 sides of the coin.  Shaq/LeBron/Wade = Titles, Shaq w/o a polished wing = No titles, and last but not least Kobe/TD = Titles (5Peat IMO).

This really is not that relevant to my arguement, wk. Kobe had his moments in the playoffs with Shaq, to be sure. But I still maintain he was ONLY in those championship games in the first place because of a certain teammate he had. Take Shaq out of those Laker teams and it stretches the imagination to think the Lakers would have been as successful. They may have still won a championship, but not three.

Take Kobe/Wade out of the equation and Shaq would continue to do what he did up until he joined the Lakers, NOTHING.  Same difference.  I can only imagine how many titles a dedicated TD would have won on the Lakers with an extrodinarily dedicated Kobe.......I think Bill Russells over inflated record would have been in jeapordy.  Kobe/TD might have won enough rings for all their fingers and a few toes.

Let me make it simpler for you. Kobe WAS the best player in the League the prior four seasons. I completely agree with you. From my observations of BOTH players this year, the Best Player In The League banner has passed over to LeBron. Based on that fact you pointed out that neither has won a championship yet, then clearly Paul Pierce is better then either, right? Forgetting for the moment the contributions of Garnett and Allen in making last year possible, of course.

I think LeBron needs a consistent mid-range game and a consistent defensive game to make that statement a no-brainer but right now that point can be debated either way.  For now I'll stick with the Kobe camp until proven otherwise, but I can see LeBron being better as a realistic point of view THIS year and not just Kobe-Hate or Bron-Love as in years past.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2008, 05:12:56 PM »
Oh right - you can tell how good a team was by the awards that were given out that weren't really deserved?

What did Bron have to work with?  Nothing close to what AI had.  AI did NOT do anything remotely close to what LeBron did, it's too silly to discuss AGAIN on this board.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2008, 05:13:20 PM »

On OFFENSE, LeBron does look like a man amoung boys but his game is not complete like MJ and Kobe IMO.

This I would like for you to explain in a bit more detail.

Where, exactly, has LeBron lagged compared to Kobe? This season, that is, where I think LeBron has started to surpass Bryant.

MPG? LJ gets 35.0 and KB gets 34.0

PPG?  LJ stands at 28.8:     KB at 24.5

RPG?  LJ: 6.8;                   KB: 5.3

APG?  LJ: 6.3                    KB: 4.3

Blocks?  LJ: 1.1                 KB: 0.5

Steals?  LJ: 2.0                 KB: 1.5

3PT %?  LJ: 28.1               KB: 27.7

FG %?   LJ: 48.9                KB: 45.8

AH HA!!!!!!  Shots per game: KB: 19.2 and LJ: 19.0. That and FT %: KB: 87.6 and LJ: 79.7, but LJ  goes to the line more; 9 per game compared to KB's 6.9, so he gets one point more from freebies per game.

Okay, you win. Clearly Kobe is superior to LeBron in that he takes 0.2 more shots per game and shoots a better percentage for his free throws. If only Kobe did not have what is considered the best bench in the NBA to cloud the perception of his greatness to we mere masses.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2008, 05:21:02 PM »

This I would like for you to explain in a bit more detail.

Where, exactly, has LeBron lagged compared to Kobe? This season, that is, where I think LeBron has started to surpass Bryant.

MPG? LJ gets 35.0 and KB gets 34.0

PPG?  LJ stands at 28.8:     KB at 24.5

RPG?  LJ: 6.8;                   KB: 5.3

APG?  LJ: 6.3                    KB: 4.3

Blocks?  LJ: 1.1                 KB: 0.5

Steals?  LJ: 2.0                 KB: 1.5

3PT %?  LJ: 28.1               KB: 27.7

FG %?   LJ: 48.9                KB: 45.8

AH HA!!!!!!  Shots per game: KB: 19.2 and LJ: 19.0. That and FT %: KB: 87.6 and LJ: 79.7, but LJ  goes to the line more; 9 per game compared to KB's 6.9, so he gets one point more from freebies per game.

Okay, you win. Clearly Kobe is superior to LeBron in that he takes 0.2 more shots per game and shoots a better percentage for his free throws. If only Kobe did not have what is considered the best bench in the NBA to cloud the perception of his greatness to we mere masses.  

I don't know if you are joking or not JoMal but I already addressed what I meant by "complete" aka "versatile".  I used the Kareem vs Walton example.  Kareem has proven to have been the better scorer but he was not as complete as Walton.  Bill had more moves, better range and just overall more skills YET Kareem was more effective because of one unstoppable offensive weapon.  Wooden was asked about the best player he ever coached and he said Kareem was more effective but Walton was better.  Same goes here, Kobe is more versatile offensive player but LeBron just seems to score at will by taking it to the rack when ever he seems to feel like it.  LeBron doesn't need all those moves and range that Kobe has because he scores when he wants to so why take a circuse shot when a layup at the rim will do.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2008, 05:29:42 PM »
I do not agree.  If Shaq had a polished offensive player like T-Mac, Ray Allen, D-Wade...ooops.... the results would have been the same.  A young MJ or LeBron would not have cut it IMO.  They were more effective scorers than Kobe early on but not as versatile.  Shaq needs a slasher BUT he also needs outside shooter who can spread the floor as well and IMO LeBron and MJ were not capable early in their careers to do what Kobe did, heck Kobe was not capable of doing what he did when he was younger.  Kobe failed miserably, most notably against the Jazz, and worked on his game and by the time PJ arrived Kobe was a 90% complete offensive player, he was still lacking a post up game.

How many titles did Shaq win without Kobe?  How many titles did Shaq win without Wade?  Shaq has proven he can NOT win a title without a polished wing player.  Before Kobe, Shaq won ZERO, the year Wade was hurt Shaq won ZERO.  This has been addressed before, why bring it up again?  Bored?  You replace Shaq with TD on Lakers squad with Kobe and they title 5 (FIVE) years in a row IMO.

Perhaps you can provide examples of ANY NBA team that won a championship without at least two dominant players somewhere on their rosters. Shaq and Kobe together made championships (okay, Jackson helped), but the Spurs had Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, and Bowen - all of whom were if not the best at what they did, close to it. I totally agree with you that Shaq requires a talented wing man to make championships.

My question to you is, who doesn't?

Only MJ really pulled championships out of his hat with talented but hardly superstar support (that Jackson connection, however, sticks in my craw)

I agree Kobe needs to prove he can do it without Shaq but only a below average fan doesn't see the flip side of the coin, actually 3 sides of the coin.  Shaq/LeBron/Wade = Titles, Shaq w/o a polished wing = No titles, and last but not least Kobe/TD = Titles (5Peat IMO).

What, pray tell, is it that I am failing to see? That Kobe needed Shaq as much as Shaq needed Kobe. You are right, that dead horse is getting whiplash.

Take Kobe/Wade out of the equation and Shaq would continue to do what he did up until he joined the Lakers, NOTHING.  Same difference.  I can only imagine how many titles a dedicated TD would have won on the Lakers with an extrodinarily dedicated Kobe.......I think Bill Russells over inflated record would have been in jeapordy.  Kobe/TD might have won enough rings for all their fingers and a few toes.

Ideal teammate matchups are fun to speculate, but only the recent Celtic teams have actually accomplished a Perfect Storm/Bermuda Triangle trifecta of talent.

I think LeBron needs a consistent mid-range game and a consistent defensive game to make that statement a no-brainer but right now that point can be debated either way.  For now I'll stick with the Kobe camp until proven otherwise, but I can see LeBron being better as a realistic point of view THIS year and not just Kobe-Hate or Bron-Love as in years past.

That Kobe-Hate thing is soooo last < ten> year<s>. I am all for the realistic point of view that is all about THIS year. The Bron-Love is coming, though. Now, I am leaning more to pitying Kobe and his over-sized ego.  :'(   :'(

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2008, 05:35:51 PM »
I don't know if you are joking or not JoMal but I already addressed what I meant by "complete" aka "versatile".  I used the Kareem vs Walton example.  Kareem has proven to have been the better scorer but he was not as complete as Walton.  Bill had more moves, better range and just overall more skills YET Kareem was more effective because of one unstoppable offensive weapon.  Wooden was asked about the best player he ever coached and he said Kareem was more effective but Walton was better.  Same goes here, Kobe is more versatile offensive player but LeBron just seems to score at will by taking it to the rack when ever he seems to feel like it.  LeBron doesn't need all those moves and range that Kobe has because he scores when he wants to so why take a circuse shot when a layup at the rim will do.

I NEVER joke, make unnecessary whoopie, take the Lords name in vain, nor mock the opinions of others.
<excuse me a minute, I suddenly have to dodge several lightening strikes that are hitting my cubicle.>

............but LeBron just seems to score at will by taking it to the rack when ever he seems to feel like it.  LeBron doesn't need all those moves and range that Kobe has because he scores when he wants to so why take a circuse shot when a layup at the rim will do.

ummmmmmm.............that was thoughtful of you to explain how Kobe is.......um......still fending off LeBron, there.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2008, 06:18:06 PM »

I will accept an *X-Mass* present of Lakers vs Celtics ticket(s) on Dec 25th...... ;)

Haha!  Good one.  I can't believe I'm doing this but I'm actually highly considering selling them on eBay.  I never do that, but I was looking at what tickets were trading for in my section and it's over 2x the face value ... tough to resist. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2008, 09:44:58 PM »

I will accept an *X-Mass* present of Lakers vs Celtics ticket(s) on Dec 25th...... ;)

Haha!  Good one.  I can't believe I'm doing this but I'm actually highly considering selling them on eBay.  I never do that, but I was looking at what tickets were trading for in my section and it's over 2x the face value ... tough to resist. 

How much would that be?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »

Ok but you are already awarding Lebron titles he has not got yet.  You assume if he had help he would have already won and that is a 'crystal ball' comment.  The Celtics are pretty good right now.  Having another player with him does not give him the trophy automatically.  Us Laker fans thought that with Pau Gasol, we learned the hard way.  Nothing is 'for sure' in this league so I don't think you are on with this one. 

How many has Shaq won with out a dominating player on the perimeter?  0  W.O.W has already gone over this so I won't repeat it.  With out Kobe the Lakers do not win those championships.  With out Shaq they don't win them.  They needed BOTH players and BOTH players deserve credit.  If you really want to start breaking down regular season contributions and playoff contributions you will see it's a lot more even than people who don't watch the Lakers day in and day say.  Shaq's skills dropped from that first year and a half.  Yet the Lakers continued to win.  So it's easy to see Kobe benefitted from Shaq and that Shaq benefitted with Kobe.  That was a great and dominating team thanks in part to Kobe Bryant.

Are you counting?

Yes 0.  The same amount Shaq has won with out a player who completely can dominate a game from the perimeter.  He won 0 in Orlando with out a player of that caliber and he won 0 in LA with a player of that caliber.  He is going to win 0 in PHX.   Again, proping up Shaq because you dislike Kobe a great deal really doesn't work.

Maybe you haven't really paid attention to the last two playoff runs leading up to a title for Shaq he was carried by those same two dominating players we've been refering to. 

Sure Kobe was given the chance to win games. He still is, but he has yet to actually win a championship without that fallback guy taking triple coverage down low to free him up consistently.

Just to throw this out there because you don't watch Laker games often....there have been many games where Shaq was not in the game due to foul trouble (so no QUADRUPLE TEAM cuz if we are going to exaggerate this happened often lets go all the way) that were won by Kobe.  Not all teams double teamed Shaq every single game.  The Spurs rarely doubled Shaq.  The Wolves did not double Shaq for parts of the series in the WCF.  By the time the 2nd and 3rd championships rolled around teams were not doubling him as much because of the improvement of Kobe Bryant.  Let's not re-write history that was only a handful of years ago.  It is still fresh in the minds of people who's minds are fresh ;)

I don't know, but maybe you should consider that before crowning Kobe as the best individual player currently playing. And my point, by the way, is not how Kobe has played the last four years or so, when he was the best player in the League, but that LeBron, THIS SEASON, has played better and looks to have passed him up in overall skill. Including defense, where he blocks more shots and gets more steals. More assists too. Kobe's teammates can't catch his passes either?  

Maybe you should consider other things as well.  Take some of your own advice.  It looks like I've actually agreed with some of your points and did say I felt Lebron James would surpass Kobe eventually.  You dislike the guy so much you are not considering anything else. 

Sorry JoMaL but if you were trying your hardest to not give Kobe his props for what he has done for years now why makes you act like its crazy for someone not to just hand it to Lebron James after 20 games?  Yes he is doing well.  No one can deny that.  That title has best individual player in my mind spans a longer distance than just one fifth of a season. 

As for catching passes, Kobe does not run his offense.  Lebron James does.  If you take a look at Pau Gasol's assists at the end of games you will see where some of them are going.  Or Lamar or some of the other better passers on this team.  With Pau Gasol's passing ability and Kobe trusting his teammates more he has a lesser role in the offense.  He doesn't have to create nearly as much.  They don't have to rely on him to create.  And this is why I see Lebron starting to move in the direction of eventually passing Kobe because of his court vision.  He is a much better passer than Kobe and I think that's what seperates them when it is all said and done.  Lebron is not a better scorer than Kobe Bryant.  There is a whole lot more stats than just the current PPG that proves that.  Kobe Bryant, when he gets hot, is still the deadliest scorer in this league.  I honestly feel that is not debatable.

As you know this is not hockey so you do not get an assist if you make the right pass to a player who makes the right pass.  The Lakers offense currently does not run where Kobe just drives and kicks over and over.

Championships are the whole point teams play the regular season and the playoffs.  Stop trying to diminish the highest achievement in this league to try to add to your argument. 

On top of winning a championship winning 3 in a row is a very tough thing to do.  Only 3 teams have been able to do that.  3 of the best teams in history.  Going 16-1 is a record that has not been broken yet.  It was more than just being a championship team once, it was being the #2 (and sometimes #1) key player in one of the greatest teams of all time.  Your bitterness is shinning like the California sun here as usual.  You don't want to admit any of this or want to ignore it.  This however is FACT.  That Laker squad was one of the best teams of all time.  With out Kobe that team wouldn't have been great.  I think that is also a fact.  Again, ditto for Shaq but clearly they benefitted from each other.  If the Celtics repeat this year are you going to down play what Kevin Garnett does because he had Paul Pierce?  Probably not. 

Moments are small spots in time.  He had 3 entire years of getting things done in the playoffs.  The Lakers wouldn't have been as good as they were with out Kobe Bryant.

I would like to re-visit a famous play to prove my point.  What kicked off the Lakers 3-peat was a come back in Portland.  The Lakers were getting their butts kicked and made a push on the back of Shaq and Kobe.  The nail in the coffin or the breaking point was Kobe juking out 2 players to throw a lob to Shaq for a slam.  Now think about that for a second.......

Again so reluctant to give him props prior, so quick to give them to another.  This season is not over.  If you want to say he looks better than Kobe does in the first 20 games, I will agree.  Completely being better than Kobe, not yet.

You are right on this one. They both have benefitted from blowouts to take some fourth quarters off. Lately, though, LeBron is getting to rest more frequently, though as we know, that will change when the Cavs play better teams.

Or not, to be fair.  They look really good and better than the Lakers.  You might see Kobe's numbers go up and Lebron's go down which is why I don't really agree with you posting the stats and only going off 20 games.  If the Cavs continue to play well, he rests.  If the Lakers continue to play poor like they have then Kobe is going to get more minutes and his stats will go up.

Up until they played the defensive teams in the playoffs, that is. Is that what you meant?

They did blow out those defensive teams at times....but we can't really compare regular season defense and playoff defense.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:20:46 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com