Author Topic: OT Holiday Gift Guide  (Read 5996 times)

jemagee

OT Holiday Gift Guide
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:59:52 PM »
So - what you want - what did you get for your spouse/kids/sisters/significant others?

So far I've bought my gf two books, and the adams chronicles on DVD (you have no idea how much she loves and knows about john adamas, and how she hated the HBO mini series)...i got her a nice dolphin diamond pendant early when zales.com had a sale a couple months ago but did something stupid so had to give it early - i like to get her some jewelry every year since her husband of 10 years was a total tool and didn't do well with the gifting - so i'll be on the look out - fortunately her tastes are simple and small :)

I've got two sisters and a niece (first grade) to shop for...i was going to buy the niece the female version of the 'dangerous book for boys' though i figured it was too old for her - turns out my younger sister bought it for her two years ago.

No ideas on the sisters yet - but man do they have expensive tastes - each one of em had a birthday present of 200 bucks (they're born 10 days apart in september) that i had to pay for half of.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT Holiday Gift Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 01:56:16 AM »
I don't really want anything to be honest.  If I want something I can afford to purchase it.  Really the best part of x-mas is getting gifts for my brothers (Even though my younger brother is 22 lol) and my 6 and 12 year old cousins. 

My two cousins are going to get 2 shirts, a sweatshirt, and a hat each.  You know you have to be fair or they argue heh.

My brothers are always tough to shop for.  Part of that is my fault as I try to get them the best gift of the year. 

Moms is getting the standard massage / pedicure / manicure package.

Everyone else I don't really shop for.  I make it a point to make sure no one shops for me.  Really don't like to get gifts and that is not what it is about for me.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:01:45 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »
Everyone else I don't really shop for.  I make it a point to make sure no one shops for me.  Really don't like to get gifts and that is not what it is about for me.

Yeah, but maybe it's not about it for you...maybe those who care about you would like to get you something to show how much they care?  I mean, that's kind of how i function...i enjoy giving gifts, even small ones, to people I care about cause it'll make them happy...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »

Yeah, but maybe it's not about it for you...maybe those who care about you would like to get you something to show how much they care?  I mean, that's kind of how i function...i enjoy giving gifts, even small ones, to people I care about cause it'll make them happy...

I meant like ones you go out and buy.  My aunt will make me cookies or I get to pick out what is made for Christmas dinner.  Small things.

I LOVE giving gifts and having family/friends around on that day is enough of a gift for me.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
I LOVE giving gifts and having family/friends around on that day is enough of a gift for me.

Did it ever occur to you that your family members feel the same way?  That is the point jem is trying to make, maybe your family gets a thrill from giving YOU gifts.  How does a money-grubbing-sharp-horned-sneaky jew get it and not you?  ;D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
My wife absolutely loooooves buying what she considers the BEST gift for each person. She spends hours on-line, viewing the best deals on sales and shipping, then will wrap each gift herself with flair. She used to wrap gifts at a department store here in SacTown. She found out our nephew had borrowed his mom's blender to make smoothies for his son. So my wife bought him his own blender, so her sister can get hers back.

Then, she will e-mail me here at work with all kinds of items she would like to get for Christmas herself. Hard hints, you might say. Needless to say, she makes my job a whole lot easier then it should be.

jemagee, I have a question for you. Our other nephew is coming home for Christmas with his new girlfriend, whom we met up in Seattle. She is from Israel. Since Christmas is not, exactly, her thing, we still want to make her feel welcome and part of the gathering, so would it be okay to get her a Christmas gift, etc? 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 01:29:56 PM »
jemagee, I have a question for you. Our other nephew is coming home for Christmas with his new girlfriend, whom we met up in Seattle. She is from Israel. Since Christmas is not, exactly, her thing, we still want to make her feel welcome and part of the gathering, so would it be okay to get her a Christmas gift, etc?

Depends on how 'hard core' she is - being israeli she's really not 'assimilated' to the christmas thing the way the american jewery is...I don't know how the 'gift giving' thing for hannukah works over in Israel...and like most religions there's different factions...I would think she wouldn't be too offended, though to be safe, i would wrap it in 'neutral' wrapping paper and just not call it a christmas gift.  For me, it's weird because holidays are HUGE for her and her family and since her whole family is gone i endure the christmas tree stocking thing for her...i don't like it or dislike it but I like it better than making up some sort of 'hannukah' bush thing.

Talk to your nephew, if they've been dating for a while I'm sure the concept of 'holiday season' gifts has come up between the two of them so he might be able to give you some insight.

You do sort of have some 'cushion' this year that Hanukkah overlaps Christmas (December 21 to 29 this year) so you could call it a Chanukkah present...however, be sure to find out her feelings on hanukkah and gifts, it's not originally a gift giving holiday as much as it became one to make jewish kids not feel so bad about christmas.

Just don't do this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/26/bushes-send-out-christmas_n_146772.html

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:42:44 PM »

Did it ever occur to you that your family members feel the same way?  That is the point jem is trying to make, maybe your family gets a thrill from giving YOU gifts.  How does a money-grubbing-sharp-horned-sneaky jew get it and not you?  ;D

You probably didn't see my response after.  I don't like gifts that are from a store.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 01:50:30 PM »

You probably didn't see my response after.  I don't like gifts that are from a store.

Maybe your family members don't have the skills to tie their shoes, let alone knit you a sweater, or maybe they can't color within the lines and a store bought gift for you gives them the greatest thrill and least amount of stress.

Ever think of that you brat?!?!

FYI, I'm in a similar boat as you, I actually detest getting any type of gift but I love buying stuff for my kids and neices/nephews.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
Maybe your family members don't have the skills to tie their shoes, let alone knit you a sweater, or maybe they can't color within the lines and a store bought gift for you gives them the greatest thrill and least amount of stress.

Now see, why couldn't I think of it that way - i tried to come up with the 'shopping is their only talent' idea but couldn't get it done - and then look there you do it.

I don't mind getting gifts in general, it's silly I find it to not like gifts if you aren't 'asking' for them - it sort of misses the entire purpose of giving a gift be it hand made, home made, purchased from a store of fulfilling that deep dark princess leia fantasy you have...a gift is a gift

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »

Ever think of that you brat?!?!

FYI, I'm in a similar boat as you, I actually detest getting any type of gift but I love buying stuff for my kids and neices/nephews.

Nothing beats seeing a kids face when they get that super cool gift.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:10:15 PM »
The absolute best gift you can give during the holiday season is to act genuinely ecstatic upon opening a gift from a friend or family member, regardless of how you might feel about it. You NEVER tell them you do not like receiving gifts. They want to give you something with probably the same joy and gusto you do in giving them a gift yourself and you should never dismiss or diminish the occasion in any way
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »

Depends on how 'hard core' she is - being israeli she's really not 'assimilated' to the christmas thing the way the american jewery is...I don't know how the 'gift giving' thing for hannukah works over in Israel...and like most religions there's different factions...I would think she wouldn't be too offended, though to be safe, i would wrap it in 'neutral' wrapping paper and just not call it a christmas gift.  For me, it's weird because holidays are HUGE for her and her family and since her whole family is gone i endure the christmas tree stocking thing for her...i don't like it or dislike it but I like it better than making up some sort of 'hannukah' bush thing.

Talk to your nephew, if they've been dating for a while I'm sure the concept of 'holiday season' gifts has come up between the two of them so he might be able to give you some insight.

You do sort of have some 'cushion' this year that Hanukkah overlaps Christmas (December 21 to 29 this year) so you could call it a Chanukkah present...however, be sure to find out her feelings on hanukkah and gifts, it's not originally a gift giving holiday as much as it became one to make jewish kids not feel so bad about christmas.

Just don't do this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/26/bushes-send-out-christmas_n_146772.html

Asking my nephew sounds like a real good idea.

After meeting her, I got the impression she was very down to earth, honest, and obviously in love with our laddy up there in Seattle. Plus, she is such an upgrade over "The Troll" said nephew is in the process of divorcing, we don't want to say or do anything to mess it up.

Thanks for the suggestions, jemagee. I hope to ask her some questions about her own holiday experiences in Israel when she visits. She is, as stated, honest and willing to talk about herself, if asked direct questions.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »
The absolute best gift you can give during the holiday season is to act genuinely ecstatic upon opening a gift from a friend or family member, regardless of how you might feel about it. You NEVER tell them you do not like receiving gifts. They want to give you something with probably the same joy and gusto you do in giving them a gift yourself and you should never dismiss or diminish the occasion in any way

I won't be rude if I get one.  Obviously it would ruin the occasion.  I also don't say "DONT GET ME A GIFT OR ELSE" but more a long the lines of "any money you would spend on me, spend on the kids"  Like I said I make a good living and can afford what I want.  Much rather that money be shifted to the younger ones in our family.  My family is fine with it and actually do joke it's nice not having to bother buying gifts for someone who "has everything"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »

I won't be rude if I get one.  Obviously it would ruin the occasion.  I also don't say "DONT GET ME A GIFT OR ELSE" but more a long the lines of "any money you would spend on me, spend on the kids"  Like I said I make a good living and can afford what I want.  Much rather that money be shifted to the younger ones in our family.  My family is fine with it and actually do joke it's nice not having to bother buying gifts for someone who "has everything"

The rule in our family is once you have kids you forfeit all gifts to yourself and your "gift rights" are passed to your "yung uns".  It works for the most part but every now and then my parents or sister will buy me a gift...uggg....but I don't get all rude about it....
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"