Author Topic: OT Holiday Gift Guide  (Read 5979 times)

jemagee

Re: OT Holiday Gift Guide
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
sking my nephew sounds like a real good idea.

After meeting her, I got the impression she was very down to earth, honest, and obviously in love with our laddy up there in Seattle. Plus, she is such an upgrade over "The Troll" said nephew is in the process of divorcing, we don't want to say or do anything to mess it up.

Thanks for the suggestions, jemagee. I hope to ask her some questions about her own holiday experiences in Israel when she visits. She is, as stated, honest and willing to talk about herself, if asked direct questions.

The fact that she's actually dating your nephew probably means she's a bit more open than the zionistic orthodoxy - they won't even date non jews...I expect she'll take the gift in the spirit it was meant but checking with your nephew and 'holiday neutral' wrapping should definitely work.

Additionally - make potato latkes - not just for her benefit but because they are AWESOME

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 02:30:42 PM »
sking my nephew sounds like a real good idea.

After meeting her, I got the impression she was very down to earth, honest, and obviously in love with our laddy up there in Seattle. Plus, she is such an upgrade over "The Troll" said nephew is in the process of divorcing, we don't want to say or do anything to mess it up.

Thanks for the suggestions, jemagee. I hope to ask her some questions about her own holiday experiences in Israel when she visits. She is, as stated, honest and willing to talk about herself, if asked direct questions.

The fact that she's actually dating your nephew probably means she's a bit more open than the zionistic orthodoxy - they won't even date non jews...I expect she'll take the gift in the spirit it was meant but checking with your nephew and 'holiday neutral' wrapping should definitely work.

I think I will follow that advise.

Additionally - make potato latkes - not just for her benefit but because they are AWESOME

And I couldn't help but notice there was no link to a recipe or one included by you.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »
And I couldn't help but notice there was no link to a recipe or one included by you.

Oh, i didn't know yo'd need one but i did have an idea

Again, ask the nephew, if her family has any Cahnukkah traditions and try to integrate them (aside from lighting the menorah) latkes are very traditional Channukah faire...she might have a family recipe :)

Here's a link to one recipe - everyone has their own twist, some people put carrots in em, some don't, some don't serve with applesauce (which is a mistake) the key is the shredded potatoes and cooking them in hot enough temp

http://www.jewishmag.com/74mag/latkes/latkes.htm

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 02:53:35 PM »

Oh, i didn't know yo'd need one but i did have an idea

Again, ask the nephew, if her family has any Cahnukkah traditions and try to integrate them (aside from lighting the menorah) latkes are very traditional Channukah faire...she might have a family recipe :)

Here's a link to one recipe - everyone has their own twist, some people put carrots in em, some don't, some don't serve with applesauce (which is a mistake) the key is the shredded potatoes and cooking them in hot enough temp

http://www.jewishmag.com/74mag/latkes/latkes.htm

Wait why is serving with apple sauce a mistake?  I thought that is how they are always served?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 02:59:05 PM »
some don't serve with applesauce (which is a mistake)

Hence why I said what I said

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 03:00:35 PM »
some don't serve with applesauce (which is a mistake)

Hence why I said what I said

Ohhhh I read that wrong.  My bad.

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »
'salright - i've been reading things wrong all morning - 3rd cup of extra strength coffee and can barely keep eyes open - some sort of flu/cold seems to be circulating the cental coast and southern california

jemagee

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 03:14:38 PM »
So I get this newsletter mainly because they sell our products on their web site but the title of this article caught my eye - haven't read it yet - but seemed relevant :)

http://www.odemagazine.com/doc/59/the-art-of-receiving/

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 10:50:42 PM »
Playstation 3 (80 GB) for $323 to $313  That's a cool XMas gift......
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 11:08:10 PM »
Playstation 3 (80 GB) for $323 to $313  That's a cool XMas gift......

Come join X3 and myself....on the dark side......

Really though that is the cheapest bluray player you can probably get right now.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 11:29:29 AM »
Nothing beats seeing a kids face when they get that super cool gift.

If you want a real thrill, find a family (with kids) who can't afford to have Christmas (they're not hard to find) and drop a whole Christmas on their doorstep. It's even better if they don't know you, because then you can deliver it in person and see the childrens' reactions. If you do know them, get a friend to deliver it for you while you watch from the car.

We do this every year and it is by far the best part of Christmas.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 11:55:46 AM »

If you want a real thrill, find a family (with kids) who can't afford to have Christmas (they're not hard to find) and drop a whole Christmas on their doorstep. It's even better if they don't know you, because then you can deliver it in person and see the childrens' reactions. If you do know them, get a friend to deliver it for you while you watch from the car.

That's pretty awesome Ted, mucho props. 

We use to do those X-Mas Angels at my previous job.  You know bring gifts the kids ask for and wrap them for Salvation Army to pick up.  That is not quite as cool as what you do.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »

That's pretty awesome Ted, mucho props. 

We use to do those X-Mas Angels at my previous job.  You know bring gifts the kids ask for and wrap them for Salvation Army to pick up.  That is not quite as cool as what you do.

I am sure they love that "Joseph Smith Jr. action figure with real saintly grip"  ;)

j/k.

I think it is awesome that you do that Ted.  That is really something I think I would like to do this year.  my kids always get great stuff, I think we can spare some gifting to people who need Christmass this year.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 01:12:45 PM »
I am sure they love that "Joseph Smith Jr. action figure with real saintly grip"  ;)

And for the girls you can get them 3rd Wife Compound Barbie.  :D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »

No, it's cooler, because it's totally anonymous. That's serious charity, when almost no one but the giver knows who is giving.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton