Author Topic: Do you agree with Barkley??  (Read 11581 times)

jemagee

Re: Do you agree with Barkley??
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »
I'd love to see where you are getting your numbers from because they televise Laker games from San Diego up to Bakersfield.  Pretty much all of Southern California gets Laker games.  Is Orange County and the Inland Empire included in your stats?

Keep moving north - santa barbara is considered LA sports tv market as well - and when it comes to NFL it's northern cal as well - which wouldn't be so bad if every california football team didn't SUCK and the NFC West and AFC West weren't embarassments

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 02:13:38 PM »
I'd love to see where you are getting your numbers from because they televise Laker games from San Diego up to Bakersfield.  Pretty much all of Southern California gets Laker games.  Is Orange County and the Inland Empire included in your stats?

What is your point?

Do you understand why ratings are important?

My point being that the population of Southern California compared to Chicaco and it's burbs is greater.  The more people who watch games, the more money that is made on ads.

Exactly wk, but you CAN NOT buy SoCal air time.  You have to buy a bunch of SoCal markets like LA and SD and there are like 10 or more markets larger than SD.  If you want to reach the MOST viewers you buy NY, LA and CHI in that order and you only gain 2% more viewers buying LA over CHI, so IMO CHI being the 3rd largest TV market helped the 90's ratings.  MJ obviously had a part in it but how much of the impact was MJ vs CHI having a built in audience..I don't know.  To date King James has not had the same impact as shown by the ratings of his finals matchup vs SA yet he seems to be very popular, almost MJ like but it's not flying cause he's in a small market.  I guarentee (sic?) you that if LeBron went to the NBA finals with NY the ratings would be much better, far from the lows he had with Cleveland.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
Keep moving north - santa barbara is considered LA sports tv market as well - and when it comes to NFL it's northern cal as well - ....

WRONG!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »
Keep moving north - santa barbara is considered LA sports tv market as well - and when it comes to NFL it's northern cal as well - ....

WRONG!

I suppose I could be wrong, Laker/Dodoger/Angels/Clippers games being blacked out up here on ESPN/League Pass, whatever to the contrary.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »

What is your point?

Do you understand why ratings are important?

My point being that the population of Southern California compared to Chicaco and it's burbs is greater.  The more people who watch games, the more money that is made on ads.

I guarentee (sic?) you that if LeBron went to the NBA finals with NY the ratings would be much better, far from the lows he had with Cleveland.

I don't disagree with this statement.  Cleveland is a pretty weak market for sports in general.  The question is though if Lebron went to a middle of the pack but more successful market than Cleveland would he be in good shape?  I'm saying that New York or LA are not just a make or break for Lebron.  For example, Wade is in Miami.  I don't know the size of that market but it is not top 3.  The ratings between Miami and Dallas was higher than SA/Cle just 2 years ago.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »

WRONG!

I suppose I could be wrong, Laker/Dodoger/Angels/Clippers games being blacked out up here on ESPN/League Pass, whatever to the contrary.

I guess you could say you are getting screwed both ways in that regard.  Buying air time for a Dodgers game does not get you LA/SD/SB/ect..., you have to buy each "market" seperately at different rates but as a viewer you get lumped in with the LA market for "black outs".  My parents old Dish Network system used to get feeds from different locations/markets for the same event on TV and you would see different commercials depending on what channel/feed you were watching.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 03:45:04 PM »
The interesting thing - or irritating - depending on how you look at it - was clippers games - due to some nonsense about regionality - we no longer get channel 5 from LA - it's some sort of stupid corporate owned thing without any local programming at all per se - and as such there were certain clippers games i wouldn't get at all - they'd be blacked out on league pass even though i had no other channel on my cable system in which i could watch the games...it seems to be fixed this year - but it just seemed year in and year out i wouldn't get the sixers/clippers game from philadelphia due to that blackout

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 04:45:49 PM »
Again in the 90s, when the game was extremely popular, ground zero was more or less Chicago.  Not a massive market compared to LA or NY.   I just don't get it.  I see history repeating itself with Lebron James having that some global appeal that Michael Jordan did.  And once again it will not matter if the most popular figure in the league is in a big market or not.

FYI,

The LA market is less than 2% larger than Chicago.  NY is less than 4% larger than Chicago.  IMO your point is flawed.  IMO Chi vs LA is a wash but IMO the NBA definately needs NY to be relavent in order to boost TV revenues.  Yes player marketing can help but just look at the horrible TV ratings of Cleveland vs SA, the lowest since the 70's I think, LeBron didn't seem to help much.

LA is over 50% larger of a media market than Chicago.

Top 5 media markets, in terms of tv households:
1         New York, NY    7,433,820         6.495    
2         Los Angeles, CA    5,654,260         4.940    
3         Chicago, IL    3,492,850         3.052    
4         Philadelphia, PA    2,950,220         2.578    
5         Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX    2,489,970         2.175    

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 04:47:25 PM »
Again in the 90s, when the game was extremely popular, ground zero was more or less Chicago.  Not a massive market compared to LA or NY.   I just don't get it.  I see history repeating itself with Lebron James having that some global appeal that Michael Jordan did.  And once again it will not matter if the most popular figure in the league is in a big market or not.

FYI,

The LA market is less than 2% larger than Chicago.  NY is less than 4% larger than Chicago.  IMO your point is flawed.  IMO Chi vs LA is a wash but IMO the NBA definately needs NY to be relavent in order to boost TV revenues.  Yes player marketing can help but just look at the horrible TV ratings of Cleveland vs SA, the lowest since the 70's I think, LeBron didn't seem to help much.

LA is over 50% larger of a media market than Chicago.

Top 5 media markets, in terms of tv households:
1         New York, NY    7,433,820         6.495    
2         Los Angeles, CA    5,654,260         4.940    
3         Chicago, IL    3,492,850         3.052    
4         Philadelphia, PA    2,950,220         2.578    
5         Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX    2,489,970         2.175    

You could look at it that way but you can also look at it as LA has 2% more American TV viewers than Chicago.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 05:03:27 PM »
How does 2% come out of those numbers?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 05:14:34 PM »

LA has 4.94% of all American TV viewers and Chicago has 3.052%....so LA has about 2% more of the total....so the 2% relates to the total amount of viewers vs DaBods 50% more viewers deals with just the individual numbers for each market.  Both are technically correct.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »

LA has 4.94% of all American TV viewers and Chicago has 3.052%....so LA has about 2% more of the total....so the 2% relates to the total amount of viewers vs DaBods 50% more viewers deals with just the individual numbers for each market.  Both are technically correct.

Another way to look at it is that the LA/NY markets combined accounts for 10.5 percent of the total U.S. TV media market, using US TV household estimates as the measuring stick, but the media outlets in those areas convince advertisers the only relevant buyers of their products in the country live in those regions, though neither market ranks in the top five for the median household effective buying income (EBI) rankings for this year. The San Francisco Bay Area and the Washington D.C. area rank one and two on that list.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2008, 12:51:08 AM »

Another way to look at it is that the LA/NY markets combined accounts for 10.5 percent of the total U.S. TV media market, using US TV household estimates as the measuring stick, but the media outlets in those areas convince advertisers the only relevant buyers of their products in the country live in those regions, though neither market ranks in the top five for the median household effective buying income (EBI) rankings for this year. The San Francisco Bay Area and the Washington D.C. area rank one and two on that list.

Soooooooo....LeBron is going to the Wizards?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2008, 12:53:22 AM »

Isnt that where all popular black figures in this country go now?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 01:06:40 AM »

Isnt that where all popular black figures in this country go now?

Only if some dumb white guy completely screws things up first......
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"