Author Topic: Do you agree with Barkley??  (Read 11548 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you agree with Barkley??
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2008, 12:50:33 PM »
I said 'on their own' meaning with out Lebron James.  If they landed a Chris Bosh and some other supporting players they could be a better team.  Right now they are saddled with a bunch of players that don't work well together.  Thank god they finally fired the crappy coach and are pushing aside Marbury.

On their "own" by getting Chris Bosh...  ::) ...yea wk, compelling argument.  Way to make a point of making NY better by adding a free agent named Chris on their "own" vs adding a free agent named LeBron.

Ok, this has deteriorated to "dumb", I think this thread is done.

Um... They have a much easier chance of landing Chris Bosh (and for cheaper) then Lebron James. 

The thread is about Lebron James.  So on their own means with out his help.  Stop being the Telemundo version of Reality.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »
Well this thread stopped being 'solely' about Lebron a few pages ago, threads evolve, and I don't know that Bosh is going to be that much cheaper...he's a dominant big man about the same age as Lebron and while he doesn't get the pub he's pretty damn good and putting up MVP like numbers in the hinterlands...Bosh as a 'back up' to Lebron won't be a cheap option.

Additionally - hypothetically - say the knicks roster doesn't have a major change between now and summer 2010 - lebron alone won't make them title contenders at all - they will need to add a big man (Bosh) to be a better option (I think) than the cavs in terms of winning titles (not to mention that the D'antoni system doesn't seem like a title selling point to me)

And at least one team in Texas is going to have quite a bit of money in 2010 - and the lure of texas to bosh reportedly could sway his decision as much as money - so i wouldn't say it'd be easier to get bosh - it depends if these guys are PURELY about money or about money AND a chance to win

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »
Well this thread stopped being 'solely' about Lebron a few pages ago, threads evolve, and I don't know that Bosh is going to be that much cheaper...he's a dominant big man about the same age as Lebron and while he doesn't get the pub he's pretty damn good and putting up MVP like numbers in the hinterlands...Bosh as a 'back up' to Lebron won't be a cheap option.

Additionally - hypothetically - say the knicks roster doesn't have a major change between now and summer 2010 - lebron alone won't make them title contenders at all - they will need to add a big man (Bosh) to be a better option (I think) than the cavs in terms of winning titles (not to mention that the D'antoni system doesn't seem like a title selling point to me)

And at least one team in Texas is going to have quite a bit of money in 2010 - and the lure of texas to bosh reportedly could sway his decision as much as money - so i wouldn't say it'd be easier to get bosh - it depends if these guys are PURELY about money or about money AND a chance to win

Please don't use "details" on wk, it's not nice.

Plus I'm sure guys like Wade, Bosh and Amare will come to NY at the HALF the price of LeBron.  ::)  ::)  ::)
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2008, 01:04:54 PM »
No the NBA is NOT fine.  The ratings have been declining since MJ left the league, with Spurs/Cavs being the low point.  It wasn't until last year when Boston and LA met in the Finals that the ratings bumped UP.  The last bump was the Lakers/Kings in 02.

Ratings for ALL SPORTS have gone down in the 2000's.  The baseball world series ratings have continually been going down.  Hockey Ratings are going down.  Either all sports are failing, or there needs to be better ways of rating the state of the leagues.

Ratings will never be what they once were.  There's simply more on television now than there was 25 years ago. 

jemagee

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2008, 01:08:31 PM »
Hockey Ratings are going down.

That's being charitable - since there only national contract is VS they've bottomed out - and now the players are actually trying to get the NHL to cancel the contract with VS and take whatever ESPN will offer them.

This years world series (as we were told REPEATEDLY, since Philadelphia really didn't deserve to be there don't you know) I believe were the worst ratings of all time (which might partially be due to the fact that baseball in florida is a failed experiment that should have been contracted already)...again, it's an adjustment as the world changes and the networks and the sports are behind the curve, and as usual MLB seems to be bringing up the rear in that the MLB channel will finally launch in january - though it's started showing up on my cable channel yesterday with some world series documentary (Houston/White Sox) - i'm hoping they have a phils / tampa docu ready :)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2008, 01:27:11 PM »

But we are talking about Lebron and going to New York to save the NBA specifically.  Bosh will be cheaper then Lebron is.  That is the truth.  Just because they are close in age and importance to a team doesn't mean they get equal pay.  Tim Duncan is a better player then Kevin Garnet but makes substantially less then KG does because KG is a bigger draw.  The same goes for Lebron.  His agent can justify the max asking price very easily.  Could Chris Bosh command a 22 million a year salary?  MAYBE.  Could Lebron?  EASILY.

To get him to go to New York it will take more then just clearing cap room.  They would have to add players that will make Lebron think they want to build around him.

Honestly I have faith in Lebron being able to take a bunch of average basketball players and leading them to the championship.  He just did it 2 years ago and I think he is a much smarter basketball player then he was on 06. 

There is also the factor of where they want to live, taxes in that state, etc.  Elton Brand bolted because he wanted to be closer to his family.  Shaq wanted to return to Florida to play a bulk of his games because of tax reasons.

How would it not be easier to get Chris Bosh then Lebron James?  Not every team in the league wants or needs Chris Bosh.  Every team in this league would pick Lebron James up if given the chance for a number of reasons.

jemagee

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2008, 01:30:18 PM »
Honestly I have faith in Lebron being able to take a bunch of average basketball players and leading them to the championship.  He just did it 2 years ago and I think he is a much smarter basketball player then he was on 06. 

But he didn't WIN the championship, a small point, but that's what Lebron claims will matter, not making but winning a title...and believing he has a supporting cast that he won't have to completely carry.

Hell Allen Iverson carried a questionable supporting cast to the NBA finals once, I think Lebron wants to accomplish slightly more than that.

How would it not be easier to get Chris Bosh then Lebron James?  Not every team in the league wants or needs Chris Bosh.

One, I think you're underselling how good Chris Bosh is and his demand from NBA GMs, not his popularity with the media (two vastly different things) and the importance of skilled big men in the NBA.  And you don't need 'every team' in the league to need him - you only need one more willing to spend - and you'll over pay.

In terms of the media coverage of 2010 - Chris Bosh is getting the 'shaft' in my opinion - he's like an after thought where he might be the second best free agent available that year after Lebron...

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
The other thing that sucks is some games, in all sports, are ONLY available on cable and there are even games that are only available on "premium" cable channels that require an extra monthly fee.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »
The other thing that sucks is some games, in all sports, are ONLY available on cable and there are even games that are only available on "premium" cable channels that require an extra monthly fee.

I read that a lot of people have to pay extra purely to get NBA TV - which i find odd - I don't pay extra for NBA TV - it is part of the digital tier of programming out here - same with NFL TV.

I think FOX needs to bring out the MLB game of the week earlier (like the beginning of the season)...but one would think the availability of 'league pass/indemand' for many sports increases fan interest because expat fans now have a chance to see their teams play in ways they couldn't just 10 years ago (ok maybe not 10...but you get the point).

Some day I hope the NFL and DirecTV end their partnership and opens up to cable companies as well

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »

But he didn't WIN the championship, a small point, but that's what Lebron claims will matter, not making but winning a title...and believing he has a supporting cast that he won't have to completely carry.

Right but they were and still are a contender.  Everyone wants to win a title.  Had Lebron seen Utah instead of the seasoned and multiple banner hanging Spurs it could have been a different story.  No one is a shoe in for anything but being a contender is important.  Gutting the Knicks to free up cap space to get him means it will take a minute for them to surround him with non-scrubs.

One, I think you're underselling how good Chris Bosh is and his demand from NBA GMs, not his popularity with the media (two vastly different things) and the importance of skilled big men in the NBA.  And you don't need 'every team' in the league to need him - you only need one more willing to spend - and you'll over pay.

Not at all.  I know how good he is.  I think he is a great player and like I said earlier in this thread I would LOVE to see Lebron and Bosh together.  Not every team needs his services.  PHX, if they keep Amare, do not need him.  The Lakers do not need him nor could they persue him.  Boston does not need him and can't afford to go after him.  A team like Miami is not going to go after him because of their current draft pick.  EVERY team would go after Lebron not only because he can play 3 positions but because of his draw to put butts in the seats.  Basketball fans like you and I understand Bosh's importance and contributions.  Save your 'importance of skilled big men' speech for another board.  That goes with out saying around here.  We get it.  To the average fan they care more about Lebron then Chris Bosh when it comes to putting money up for jerseys, tickets, and 10 dollar beers at the game.

In terms of the media coverage of 2010 - Chris Bosh is getting the 'shaft' in my opinion - he's like an after thought where he might be the second best free agent available that year after Lebron...

The second best free agent available after Lebron would be Dwayne Wade IMO.

jemagee

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2008, 02:00:09 PM »

Dwyane (I can't spell my name in a way that makes sense) Wade to me is good - but he's over rated for what he is - and the position he plays - big men of Bosh's skill are a rarer commodity - and Wade also gets the pub related to playing with Shaq and with Riley in a 'bigger' market than Toronto (in terms of the NBA Toronto must be the most over looked market around)

As for the comments on who does and doesn't need Bosh - 18 months is a LONG time from now - Amare might not be a sun at the end of this season - Bynum is being mouth - Gasol and Garnett are not young - how many years can Garnett truly continue to play at a high level (same with Pierce and Allen), anyone believe they'll all be at the top of their games in the 10/11 seasons or will they have started going down hill by then?

The market for Chris Bosh (or lebron james) is fully fluid between now and 2010...in terms of pure talent and position I think Bosh comes second - you think Wade does (hopefully you think Bosh comes before Carmelo, and I put him before amare and nash due to age, years in the league)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:02:19 PM by jemagee »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »

Dwyane (I can't spell my name in a way that makes sense) Wade to me is good - but he's over rated for what he is - and the position he plays - big men of Bosh's skill are a rarer commodity - and Wade also gets the pub related to playing with Shaq and with Riley in a 'bigger' market than Toronto (in terms of the NBA Toronto must be the most over looked market around)

How is he overrated at the position he plays?  He was injured for a year and a half.  Now that he has healed you saw what he did in China and look at what he is doing now.  His defense has improved this year and he still is one of the top 5 offensive players in this league. 

He is a finals MVP and carried the Heat to the championship, not Shaq or Riley.

jemagee

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »

So they would have made the NBA finals without shaq?  And would have won without the help from the refs?

He's a 2 guard, Bosh is a power forward - i think finding a high level PF is harder than finding a high level 2 guard just based on height distributions...the maxim you can't teach height while over used is one that does come into play sometimes (I don't think it justifies drafting any 7 footer in existience who can hold a basketball, but when it comes to a player of bosh caliber i think it matters that he's as tall as he is)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2008, 02:16:42 PM »

So they would have made the NBA finals without shaq?  And would have won without the help from the refs?

He's a 2 guard, Bosh is a power forward - i think finding a high level PF is harder than finding a high level 2 guard just based on height distributions...the maxim you can't teach height while over used is one that does come into play sometimes (I don't think it justifies drafting any 7 footer in existience who can hold a basketball, but when it comes to a player of bosh caliber i think it matters that he's as tall as he is)

Did you forget that Shaq was hurt or in foul trouble for most of the first three rounds of that run?  Let's not get into the refs helping because it has nothing to do with what we are talking about here.

Wade is not just a high level 2 guard he is a premier 2 guard in this league.  I think it's hard to find a player of Wade's caliber.  You can disagree. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2008, 02:43:41 PM »

Did you forget that Shaq was hurt or in foul trouble for most of the first three rounds of that run?  Let's not get into the refs helping because it has nothing to do with what we are talking about here.

Wade is not just a high level 2 guard he is a premier 2 guard in this league.  I think it's hard to find a player of Wade's caliber.  You can disagree. 

Bosh is a permier front court player and you take that over a premier back court player ANY day of the week.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"