Author Topic: Sixers/Thunder  (Read 9186 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers/Thunder
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 08:54:20 PM »
Speights really has a nice smooth stroke from outside doesn't he?  Did he get lost in the shuffle, or were all those other 6-10 players really better?

He has good hands and good instincts.  Seems to have a very good attitude and a willingness to run the floor.

In general the Sixers don't seem to run any plays other than post up Brand.

jemagee

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008, 08:57:02 PM »
Hey look - they called the double dribble this time

jemagee

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »
Speights really has a nice smooth stroke from outside doesn't he?  Did he get lost in the shuffle, or were all those other 6-10 players really better?

There were some work ethic and character questions that let him slip...weren't others just talking about the 'first year bigmen' in another thread just recently...

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I hate generic names like "Thunder" that could be applied to any team in the league.  I mean, not that half the teams name still apply after they've changed cities (Lakers, Jazz, etc), but at least they initially had some relevance.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »
Once of Speights best offensive attributes.  Off pick and roll he dives to the hoop and finishes really well.

jemagee

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 09:07:27 PM »
So - if a team doesn't really have any set plays - and you have a younger player who never has really been a a point guard trying to learn to be a point guard - wouldn't that be a problem - i would think it would be helpful to have set plays so that the PG can learn slowly to 'view the court' by at least knowing where some guys are supposed to go...

Oh yeah, when i was younger before i knew the reasoning i thought utah jazz was the dumbest name for a team

jemagee

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 09:08:48 PM »
Dude - that was one ugly kid

jemagee

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2008, 09:11:51 PM »
There was some nice crispness on that pass from Speights to Marshall (and a good follow when Marshall missed the easy pass)...I'd like to see some speights in the post plays - see how he works in the low post...can you have a 'center' who is a low post threat and a PF who is a high post threat work together well?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2008, 09:17:56 PM »
There was some nice crispness on that pass from Speights to Marshall (and a good follow when Marshall missed the easy pass)...I'd like to see some speights in the post plays - see how he works in the low post...can you have a 'center' who is a low post threat and a PF who is a high post threat work together well?

Are you kidding?  IMO, that would en an ideal combination, having tw post players who could demand a double team.  IF they double Brand, Speights should only have on man on him down low.. and vice-versa.  And, someone else should be wide open on a double and with the shooters we apparently have, the Sixers should be able to operate quite effectively in a half-court offense.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2008, 09:25:54 PM »
I got my wish- extended minutes for Speights and some good PT for Marshall, who shows that he can still shoot from long distance. 

Both players were big for the Sixers at the end, maintaining and increasing the lead.  9 pts. and 8 boards in 17 min. for Mareese. Marshall hit a three and a two that was close to being a three.  Loved the rebound + stuff by Speights.

Gotta give props to Dalembert- when he stays out of foul trouble he can be an effective player; 13 pts. 16 bds. and 3 blocks in 31 min.  This is about the right ratio of minutes for these two centers. Speights is playing well enough that Cheeks should have no worries about subbing him in for Sammy.

Not sure about Ivey and Rush as players.  They seem pretty marginal at best.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2008, 09:37:57 PM »
I have to admit I couldn't take much away from this one.  The Thunder are really limited.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »
That is the real bottom line, the Sixers can play great against a team like the Thunder, (And, I agree with Dabods about that name too!) but they can't play like that against good teams that are able to pressure the ball and make it hard for the Sixers to move and make passes.

It's one thing to have your half-court offense work against Oklahoma, and quite another for them to play that way against the Pistons.

But the outside shooting was very impressive tonight. If they can shoot like that against the Pistons, they should be able to beat them too.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2008, 12:56:32 AM »
Just got back from the game.  First, the Thunder are not good, other than Green, Durant (who looks like he will never be more than a scorer at best) and Westbrook, the team is generally untalented.  Swift, Petro and Sene = 21 feet of crap.  They need real bigs in the worst way.

Observations on the Sixers, especially things I have not noticed on TV.  Iggy is bringing the ball up a lot in half court sets, maybe a quarter of the time, and is the best initiator of their break with his dribble.  His power dribble on the break and court vision were very impressive, plus he had some nice drives to the basket in the half-court.  He sees the court at least as well as Miller does.  His jumper almost has too much arc on it.  He might be able to control it a little better if he flattened it out just a little.  Still, he shot better tonight than he has most of the season.

I know Sam had a good game tonight, but there were still three or four cringe worthy times where the ball wnet into his hand and you just knew something awkward and bad would happen, and it did.  His 15 footer was falling better tonight and he had some nice tap-ins.  He sets the most useless screens imaginable.

Lou looked terrible.  He was missing FT's, completely ignoring his team mates and absolutely blew three outlet passes to start a break that ended up as easy steals for OKC instead of easy baskets for us.  Any time he gets any space between himself and a defender he shoots, otherwise he drives.  His defense was so-so.

Thad has an incredible nose for the ball and the basket and the touch on all of his shots is feathery smooth.  He can put points on the board in a hurry.  He is a glider athletically as opposed to Iggy's more explosive athleticism.  And no, they don't run plays for him.

Green looked solid, he left some shots short, but so did a lot of players (4th game in 5 nights) tonight.  He plays more within himself tha Lou does.

Speights has all of the tools offensively and is a better athlete than I ever imagined when we drafted him.  He has the second best touch on his shot to Thad and it is pretty close between the two of them.  He just needs to learn some go to moves and get more experience on defense.  He will be starting by next year, book it.  Also he should come i the game when Brand sits to keep the offense balanced.  There is usually a 3-5 minute span of time when reggie and Sam are the only bigs in the game.  This is not good, every time this happened the Thunder made a run and our offense clogged up.  Speights should come in with or before Reggie. 

Reggie was Reggie, which was a good thing in itself.  You can tell he makes the opposition uncomfortable by his raw energy.

Brand is a player who is not dominant in any one area, but seems to be very good in most.  He is an extremely efficient and proficient shotblocker who keeps the blocked ball in play.  He plays the interior passing lanes very well.  He deferred to Sammy on the boards some tonight as he defended the perimeter a little more (not really his thing, see Green, Jeff in the boxscore), but he definitely does not slow down the break when he runs. 

This may sound like I am picking on him, but it's actually a compliment - Brand's offensive game is a mixture of a more athletic Armon Gilliam down low, with Chris Webber on the mid-range jump shot and a neat little power drive built in to his repertoire.  Like Gilliam he does not jump over people, but down low, when he is not open to dunk the ball, he has a number of fakes, half hooks, push shots and other tricks  and body contortions he uses around the rim to get his shot off or initiate contact for a foul.  Speights will eventually have a more prototypical low-post game as his height will allow him to get off a variety of jump hooks, turn-around jumpers and drop shots that might get blocked if Brand shot them straight up.  Brand really has a neat bag of tricks in his varied offensive game and a nice touch from the perimeter, plus real muscle on the boards and defensively.  Sadly none of our guards has a shooting touch to compare with Brand, Speights and Thad.

We also have the best garbage time three point shooting team in teh league with Rush, Ivey and Marshall.  Marshall is definitely power forward sized these days and could not keep up with any decent small forward.  In a pinch you could get 10 minutes a game from him at PF without killing your team.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 11:23:54 AM »
Was there much  energy in the building from the supposed 13K fans?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 12:17:06 PM »
Was there much  energy in the building from the supposed 13K fans?

I was there.  There were not 13K fans there.  No more than 10K.  And there was energy at times, but there were nowhere near enough fans nor excitement for there to be a whole lot of energy.