Author Topic: Next Game - Nov 11 Utah  (Read 8342 times)

jemagee

Next Game - Nov 11 Utah
« on: November 07, 2008, 12:38:09 PM »
The sixers have a nice little break between now and their next game, November 11th hosting Utah. 

Now, Utah is very very good, but I gotta say if the performance the sixers put up against the Jazz isn't much better than the performance against the Heat & Magic, I would think that regardless of too early in the season, a change has to be made.   I know the players play, but a situation like this, the 4 day lay off, 3 really bad games out of the last 4 (I count the hawks game cause, well, that's an embarrassing way to lose in my opinion), this is where a coach (to me) can do the most work in season and have a huge impact.  So, I'm going to be very curios as to how the sixers come out against the Jazz in the next game.  I don't expect a win, but if they are as flat and just plain bad as they have been so far, I think to me it's an indicator that Mo lost the team already, if he had them in the first place

Offline tk76

• View Profile
Re: Next Game - Nov 11 Utah
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:37:24 PM »
Assuming Deon Williams is still out, I don't see how the Jazz are all that dominant right now.  If the right changes are made, this team should come out as motivated as possible and possibly jump all over a good but not great Jazz team missing its all star PG.

Now that implies that Mo can rebuild the engine in 4 days of practice- which I would not bet on.

If the Sixers go small with either Sam or Brand at center and Thad a PF for long stretches they could get running and win some games- like last year.  Those pieces are still in place.  Of course that is not the recipe for sustained success in the playoffs- they need to get a more conventional half court offense going with Brand at PF- but for a game or a few weeks, I would not be surprised to see the Sixers go back to Thad at PF for longer stretches to help keep them in games until they fix their bigger problems through coaching or a move.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:20:02 AM »
No way they fix all of the chemistry/spacing problems, plus the defense in four games.  What I would like to see is solid improvement in specific areas, specifically the spacing and movement when the ball goes into Brand and some ironing out of the line-up compatibility problems.  I also want Miller to look like he is starting to get into shape.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
Utah still has a lot o 3pt threats... we need to do a better job defending the perimeter.  The offense is probably going to run through Boozer... we'll see how Brand does against him.... I'd like to see him more aggressive this game.  I'm not expecting a win either, but the game better not be over before the 4th quarter starts.... we need to actually show up for this one. 

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
Okur won't be at the game

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 03:03:23 PM »
Gots to be rusty right?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 03:10:36 PM »
As I said at RealGM, they'll be fine tonight- as long as they can leave those X's on the floor so they know where to stand.

The only thing worse than a stagnant offense where everyone is just standing around is one where they are standing in the wrong spot. It helps for stage actors, so why not for NBA players.  Playing the role of Samuel Dalembert tonight will be a lampost... at least it will be standing in the right position.

BTW- the statement under my avatar hasn't exactly turned out to hold true so far.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:12:20 PM by tk76- »

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 05:56:32 PM »
at least the lamppost doesn't have to defend Okur tonight. 

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
I missed the first half - sure they're losing but do they look any different than the games in florida?

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:42:34 PM »
Nice 3rd quarter

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:25:17 PM »
I'm flat out disappointed in Elton Brand thus far.  No other way to say it. 

Mo left Iguodala out of that 4th quarter too long.... left Willie Green in too long. 

Sixers get boo'd off the court on their home floor.... not exactly what everyone was expecting. 

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:27:18 PM »
So did they play better?  Look more motivated, more dedicated, more organized on offense, or did it still look like 5 guys on the court not knowing what they are doing - after Mo worked on em with TAPE and everything?  Seriously, even with that run in the 3rd i just had no faith in them winning..

just disappointing...just flat out disappointed and losing any interest at the moment

Offline tk76

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »
So did they play better? 

No.  Just like the Orl loss they were able to get out on the break in the 3rd.  When they run they win.  Infortunately, plugging in Brand and shifting Thad and Iguodala down to SF/SG means they run less.

There set offense looks as bad as last year, and they run less.  Their only hope is that their defense locks people down to create traditional fast break opportunities.  Last year they could create caos and run by playing an athlete like Thad at PF.  This year they are more conventional, but have yet to reap any rewards from it.

Offline tk76

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 09:50:50 PM »
Don't get me wrong- Brand is a very good player.

I'm just not convinced that Sam, Lou, Miller, Iguodala and Mo are well suited to be part of a conventional team.  These guys do great when they can push the pace, and are exposed in the half court- even when you add in a good PF like Brand.

Mo doesn't have the laybook or demeanor to demand the precision a halfcourt offense requires.  Miller and Iguodala dribble too much and can't hit a jumper, Lou ca't run an offense, and Sam is Sam.

These guys can assert their will if they get out on the break- but up to this point they run much less with Brand at PF then they did with Thad at PF.

I'm not saying they could be contenders with Thad at PF.  I just wonder if Ed dropped the ball by going for Brand instead of getting a more uptempo PF.  i realize Brand is a better player then Marion, Josh Smith or Camby- but maybe they should have gone with a lower ticket athlete at PF and added a star at another important position (they could have gone after a PG who can shoot and push the tempo like Calderon- just as an example, or get geral wallace and leave Thad at PF.)

Or, if you commit to Brand, they should have switched gears and moved Iguodala for a guy who can shoot and score in the 1/2 court.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:52:51 PM by tk76 »