Author Topic: Seeking Opinions  (Read 4178 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Seeking Opinions
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »
My suggestion is that you examine your career, jemagee.  You've most likely followed a path of some sort, building experience and skills along the way, with an idea in place of what you'd ideally like to be doing.  When a potential employer can follow your line of thinking and your career path, you're right where you want to be in the interview.  Build your resume to get you to that point.
I haven't found a 'career' that holds my interest just yet

Then what, exactly, is it that you want?

While many people actually follow a path that leads into what they want to do for the rest of their careers, it often does not live up to their expectations. Sometimes, you can turn the job into those expectations, but that takes time on the job to advance to a position in which you can do so. It would help if you can decide what that might be.

As far as inteviewing for a new position goes, Joe has covered some of the needed aspects but there are important traits you need to exhibit during a job interview that can help you get hired. It does involve selling, however, so even though it flies against your nature, it helps to make you stand out in a crowd. You are selling yourself. Primarily, do your homework. Use the Internet to research the company and find out what they are likely looking for in job candidates, then become that person. This is not that hard, but is typically ignored by many job candidates.

The longer you put off getting into the field or career of your choice and education, the harder it will be to switch. Unless you are not concerned with your current treatment and prospects in being recognized as an important cog of their system, you should be looking for that career now. Management may not realyze fully how important you are to them, or worse, do not see you as being all that important. Their perception may not match your own.

So instead of demanding a raise or discussing salaries, ask your boss to give you a job review. Tell her you are concerned about your future with the company and need to know what direction the company is going and where you fit into those plans. Be prepared to discuss particulars about your job - SELL your job to her, but not by using terms like "my flawless skills were the only thing that guaranteed success", "So and so knew nothing about it, but I saved the day for her", blah, blah, blah. That won't work. It is best to get your supervisor to tell YOU how you contributed by asking direct questions, such as "what do you think about the work I did on such and such?".

Do not expect immediate action, but listen very carefully to what she has to say. It may turn out that she has no idea how much you do and how you do it, so be sure to explain exactly how you worked on a project without talking directly of others. This is about YOU. At the end of the discussion, tell her you enjoy the work you do (be sincere regardless of how you REALLY feel), but that you are unsatisfied with the compensation. Then ask her if you can do something that could change that and what that might be.

Yes, this is selling a product - YOU, but do not dispair about that. Just be prepared before talking to her. You want the discussion to provide essentially a status update of your worth to the company and to your supervisor so the seed gets planted that you provide skills not readily available not only within the company but in any future hirings of the company.

Then start planning a career change into the field you want to BE in. This is your practice company. Look at it that way.  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:40:42 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 01:58:09 PM »
Then what, exactly, is it that you want?

That's the 100K question :)

Right now I only started this looking for ideas on how to get 'more money' without having to be taxed on it (legally) if it were possible - the rest of it sort of evolved - i'm sort of committed to one more year here right now - cause of the possibility of turning it around, becoming profitable, and the stock options becoming viable.  I can 'survive' on what i make combined with what my gf makes - but more would be nicer

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 11:36:13 AM »
It sounds like "Nicer" isn't what you really need here.  Your floating along in a career that you have found by default.  There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that, but what you choose to do next is very important.

It makes no sense to push for a raise since you seem to care about the company and it's future, and you don't want to add to it's troubles.  The review idea seems the best way to go, since it gives you a formal opportunity to talk about what you have done and how she sees you fitting in. Since the big payoff can come from sticking around, and you don't want to entertain a move until you see this through, it seems the objective should be to help the company be as successful as possible.

More important than the money at this point is where you fit in with the organization.  If she truly values you and your contributions, she will try to make you happy if she can.  If you have ideas that would help the company move forward, it's important to be in a position to push for those ideas, and in that way improve your value to the company.

More important than that is that you find challenges within the organization that mean something to you.  Everyone talks about doing a job that they want, but the truth is unless you work for yourself there is no "perfect" job. The key is to be able to be happy and satisfied with the job you have, if that is at all possible.  Considering the tough economic conditions, now isn't the time to make a move, unless someone is aggressively recruiting you.

It seems like you've found a good place to develop yourself, so keep doing that, update your resume just in case, and get going on a job review.