Author Topic: Spurs start season 0-3, WTF is going on?  (Read 12481 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs start season 0-3, WTF is going on?
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2008, 03:52:24 PM »
Of course there's a lot wrong with that idea. I probably should have made me sarcasm more clear. There is, however, a well-established school of thought that the voice of the people ought to be able to change the Constitution. It's a big can of smelly poop if you ask me, and we don't want to open it. But this issue is turning into a real stinker for the left; hell, even the left's new leader isn't in favor of same-sex marriage. I don't for a second believe a No on Prop 8 decision will end the fight.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

jemagee

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2008, 03:54:45 PM »
I don't for a second believe a No on Prop 8 decision will end the fight.

Well it's a silly fight in my opinion, but of course it won't, cause there are 50 states, and right now each state can make it's own law, and two states passed 'no gay marriage' laws on election night as well (I believe arizona and florida) and no one paid attention or made a big stink about it.  I believe I read there were half as many (approximately) 'gay marriage' initiatives in states this year versus last time...

What I don't believe is the idiocy of this issue - I'm sorry but to me it's the equivalent of having laws banning inter racial or inter religion marriages.

The problems (as many problems stem from in this country in my opinion) is that religion has way too much influence and say in this country in things that it shouldn't have any influence or say in and too many people are too feeble to think for themselves so they just go with whatever herd mentality they happen to be a member of.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2008, 03:55:45 PM »
That's a tough spot to be in Ted, you just weened your wives of Did-neyland and now your kids wanna go?  OUCH!

Going for the low-hanging fruit today?  ::)

OC is a very nice part of SoCal, maybe on your next visit I'll take you to Eeez-Lowze for some Tacos and less-plastic-ie people!

That would be cool. My little bro spent two years in East LA (that is what you mean by "Eeez-Lowze" right?), and he loved it. Although he did have some stray bullets fly over his head once (or so he says).

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2008, 04:00:31 PM »
That would be cool. My little bro spent two years in East LA (that is what you mean by "Eeez-Lowze" right?), and he loved it. Although he did have some stray bullets fly over his head once (or so he says).

Stray bullets are a small price to pay from some authentic "Al Pastor" tacos from East-Los!  Plus there are some awesome upper-scale places there as well.  Most def we need to go there next time, hopefull get some others to join us....although a big girly wuss like weakkoast would probably not venture beyond OC.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »

Stray bullets are a small price to pay from some authentic "Al Pastor" tacos from East-Los!  Plus there are some awesome upper-scale places there as well.  Most def we need to go there next time, hopefull get some others to join us....although a big girly wuss like weakkoast would probably not venture beyond OC.

Don't want to burst ya bubble here esse but my birth certificate has Montebello on it.

And I am in LA every day for work when I am actually in California.  I don't work in OC.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »
What I don't believe is the idiocy of this issue - I'm sorry but to me it's the equivalent of having laws banning inter racial or inter religion marriages.

The problems (as many problems stem from in this country in my opinion) is that religion has way too much influence and say in this country in things that it shouldn't have any influence or say in and too many people are too feeble to think for themselves so they just go with whatever herd mentality they happen to be a member of.

I'm curious about your position on the issue. We are both members of religions that frown on the practice of homosexuality and abortion (at least as far as I understand Judaism; I may be wrong). From the tenor of your posts it seems you disagree or perhaps ignore that part of your religion's doctrine. I myself struggle with the issue. I was taught and now believe that the act (not the state of being) of homosexuality is a sin. I also believe the family is the fundamental unit of society, and that marriage is a sacred ordinance. I also know that in most places, marriage doesn't mean half of what it used to. More and more people do it on a whim knowing they can back out any time. Does a fully committed gay marriage really deserve less respect than a Britney Spears marriage?

As I told Mike, I was asked to participate in the Yes on Prop 8 campaign, to place phone calls, to donate. I declined, and I don't really know why I declined. I just didn't want to do it. I believed in the prop, but I figured the initiative would fail in California, and I didn't buy the messages on each side.

No on Prop 8 said that rights were being taken away. As far as I could tell, the only right in question was the right to use a certain word. Why is the word such a big deal? (Both sides can answer the question.)

Yes on Prop 8 trotted out all of these scenarios from Massachusetts or Connecticut, and I'll admit, they were a concern. I also heard the story of a coworker's friend who was arrested because he refused to leave his child's school until they told him what they were going to teach concerning sex-ed and same-sex marriage. The school refused to tell, and eventually won the decision in court.

That kind of stuff scares me a little. I go to church because I believe in it. But I don't like forcing my beliefs on others, and that's what it felt like in California. But I also know that if I want to call myself a Latter-day Saint (or any other religion I may espouse) and I believe in what that religion teaches, then I'd better stand up for it when it's threatened or get out of it. And I'm not getting out of it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2008, 04:32:58 PM »

Don't want to burst ya bubble here esse but my birth certificate has Montebello on it.

And I am in LA every day for work when I am actually in California.  I don't work in OC.

"esse"?  You sound like a big fag!  I bet you drink long neck beers like a total coulero!  Where do you work?  I am heading over to Claremont next week, is that anywhere near you?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2008, 04:38:30 PM »
xuality and abortion (at least as far as I understand Judaism; I may be wrong). From the tenor of your posts it seems you disagree or perhaps ignore that part of your religion's doctrine

Yes I do, mostly because I found early on in life that I'm capable of thinking for myself and don't need a religion to tell me the difference between what's 'right' and wrong - especially with thousand year old rules set up by very different people by those alive today.

Religions selectively ignore the 'words' written down all the time...I consider myself a cultural jew not a religious jew (and i won't have the debate that judaism is or isn't a culture again, it's tiresome)...but here's a few things to ponder....

As it was taught to me, being jewish means ABSOLUTELY questioning the rules and laws laid down - blind obedience is idiocy in the eyes of judaism...

I have no idea where judaism stands on homosexuality or abortion, but if you think of judaism as some monolithic religion with one 'group mind' and 'group idea', it's just not true, judaism is as varied as Christianity  and has its nutty fruit cake fringe groups too (Jews for Jesus for instance, Meier Kahane was also a bit of a loon)...

My point ted is that if you allow your religion to tell you what is right and wrong without deciding for yourself then you basically give up the thing that makes humans human, and that religion 'preaches' all the time when god doesn't 'save' people - free will...in my personal experience the truly dogmatic religious followers who basically decide their entire moral code based on their religion lack the common sense to think for themselves.

jemagee

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2008, 04:53:49 PM »

"esse"?  You sound like a big fag!  I bet you drink long neck beers like a total coulero!  Where do you work?  I am heading over to Claremont next week, is that anywhere near you?

Doesn't corona have long neck beers?!

Right now  I am splitting my time between Long Beach (though I sorta don't consider this LA) and Redondo Beach.  Claremont might as well be on the other side of the planet lol.  When are you actually in OC next?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »

Right now  I am splitting my time between Long Beach (though I sorta don't consider this LA) and Redondo Beach.  Claremont might as well be on the other side of the planet lol.  When are you actually in OC next?

Why don 't you two just go get a room,  jeez!   8)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »

Don't know when I'll be back in the OC...I'm doing a round of upgrades and the only remaining sites are Claremont and Sacramento.  I have a regular poker game in OC but I've been too busy at home to break away on Fridays to join the game lately.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2008, 05:13:01 PM »

Awweee.....didn't mean to make you feel left out and unloved....  :-*
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2008, 05:39:57 PM »

Awweee.....didn't mean to make you feel left out and unloved....  :-*

With Reality being M.I.A.........

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »

It was only a matter of time.