Author Topic: Spurs start season 0-3, WTF is going on?  (Read 12456 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Spurs start season 0-3, WTF is going on?
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
I saw some of the Spurs/Suns game and the Spurs looked pretty good, not sure why they are stuggling.  They have some new faces but they are sorely missing Manu.  What is the ETA on Manu?  IMO this could be a blessing in diguise.  The Spurs will start at a lower playoff seed but they will have a healthy Manu, IMO a decent trade off.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs start season 0-3, WTF is going on?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »
POOR defense.  In fact, if you  can believe it, they are the worst defensive team in the league right now.

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought one of the REALSPURS told me mid-December for Manu??
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
POOR defense.  In fact, if you  can believe it, they are the worst defensive team in the league right now.

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought one of the REALSPURS told me mid-December for Manu??

He has started bike work and straight line running.  The expected game date is after Jan 1.

Right now the Spurs look like they have 15 new faces and a new system.  Part of the problem in the first 2 games was having only 3 big men available: Duncan, Thomas and Bonner.  Oberto had a heart murmur reappear, Mahinmi is injured and a rookie, Tolliver, was excused due to his mother's death.  I haven't had a chance to watch last night's debacle yet.

But I do hope they figure it out quickly.  I have tickets to Friday's game against the Heat and would prefer to see a Spurs victory.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »
i told you we have a lot of scrubs, nobody of real substance came on board this summer , MAYBE  Mason, he has been ok so far, but yeah I expect to have a LONG season this year... :-\
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:21:16 PM »
Wow - Oberto  can not defend al jefferson can he?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 11:11:45 PM »
Yeah, to think they kept Oberto and let Scola go...

Other than that Parker and his 50+ point game is nice, I like How Mason is coming along...

nice hard fought win, reminds me of the old days...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:04:36 AM »

Other than that Parker and his 50+ point game is nice, I like How Mason is coming along...

If Duncan gets 30 and 16 and Parker gets 55 and 10 yet they have to go all the way to double OT to win.....not that good of a sign.  A W is a W though.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 12:10:21 AM »

50+ for real?  I almost traded him this week!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:58 AM »

If Duncan gets 30 and 16 and Parker gets 55 and 10 yet they have to go all the way to double OT to win.....not that good of a sign.  A W is a W though.

that is what i meant by it reminds me of the old days.  I got used to my team winning, now I have to get usd to wondering if we are going to win each night, it is going to be a struggle for a little while.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »

Hollinger addressed this yesterday.  Parker is leading the league in PER and Duncan was 3rd (before last night's game).  It is the defense/rebounding that has completely fallen off the face of the earth.  Here is his article:

Everyone said last night was a historic evening, the kind that happens once a generation. They were correct: For the first time in 35 years, the Spurs fell to 0-3 after Tuesday's 98-81 loss to Dallas. What, you were thinking of something else?

While San Antonio's slow start can't compare to the landmark election results in terms of jarring impact, it's nonetheless a big story on the NBA landscape. Many had presumed the Spurs could make a run back to the conference finals this season, and it's possible they'll still get there. But through three games, it ain't looking good. The Spurs have already lost twice at home, and last night's defeat was significant because they were bushwhacked by a Dallas team that was playing on back-to-back nights and didn't play well against Cleveland on Monday.

Here's the part where Spurs fans should really start worrying: Tony Parker is leading the league in PER, and Tim Duncan is third ? and yet the team still hasn't won a game. That's major red-flag territory, people -- San Antonio's two stars couldn't possibly be playing any better, and it hasn't been enough to get them even one win.

Ready to be shocked further? Try this: The Spurs are dead last in defensive efficiency. It's not a close dead last, either -- even lowly Sacramento ranks well ahead of them. Parker and Duncan are dominating and the team is second in the NBA in offensive efficiency, but the normally buttoned-down San Antonio D has been surrendering points with such ease that it hasn't mattered.

When the season started, the consensus was that San Antonio was trying to hang on until Manu Ginobili could return in early to mid-December (they hope) or late December (I suspect). But that perspective relies on the assumption that the Spurs are a quality defensive team that only needs Ginobili's added firepower to hang with the elite contenders. Through three games, they've been a completely different team from what we expected, and unless they get some stops, getting Ginobili back isn't going to make much of a difference.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »
That's why I am saying it is a bad sign Lurker.  The defense is so bad you have to have TWO monster games and double OT to win.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »

Stay calm Spurs Sheep.  For I will lead you.  Along with Michael Finleys lockdown D.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 11:07:15 AM »
Tony Parker 3rd person in NBA history to hit 55/10 assists

1. Oscar Robertson ('64-'65) - 56/12

2. Michael Jordan ('92-'93) - 57/10

3. Tony Parker ('08-'09) - 55/10

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »

Stay calm Spurs Sheep.  For I will lead you.  Along with Michael Finleys lockdown D.

I'm sorry.  I thought this was a discussion between intelligent basketball followers.  But just to placate the thought challenged on this board...

It is obviously the fact that Horry retired and Barry went to Houston that has caused the complete collapse of the defense.  All hail the great (SARCASM) mind of Reality.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
I'm sorry.  I thought this was a discussion between intelligent basketball followers.  But just to placate the thought challenged on this board...

It is obviously the fact that Horry retired and Barry went to Houston that has caused the complete collapse of the defense.  All hail the great (SARCASM) mind of Reality.

LOL, feel the burn Lurker, feel the burn.  It's like a rash with no clue isnt' it?  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"