Author Topic: McCain/Obama debate, debate (heh)  (Read 12080 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
McCain/Obama debate, debate (heh)
« on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
Im curious on what everyone's take on this whole "I will not debate on Friday because we need to fix the budget" debate.  Do you think the debate should still go on?  Do you think it should be held off?  What is everyones outlook on this?

Personally?  I don't see why the debate needs to stop.  Obama and McCain are not going to make or break this decision if they are not around.  I'll go as far to say that I think it would be a major distraction and inject more political/presidential bs into a very serious issue.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: McCain/Obama debate, debate (heh)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 12:56:59 PM »
Im curious on what everyone's take on this whole "I will not debate on Friday because we need to fix the budget" debate.  Do you think the debate should still go on?  Do you think it should be held off?  What is everyones outlook on this?

Personally?  I don't see why the debate needs to stop.  Obama and McCain are not going to make or break this decision if they are not around.  I'll go as far to say that I think it would be a major distraction and inject more political/presidential bs into a very serious issue.

McCain is an idiot.  Neither Obama nor McCain are going to be the "savior".  When the 3rd highest ranking Republican in congress was asked about McCain's impact on the stalemate the guy remained silent for 10 seconds!  :D

It's a total political ploy, in fact McCain was on TV last night, he was supposed to be on Letterman but cancelled and Letterman ripped him a new one after seeing him on TV giving an interview.  Some people are even speculating that it's a ploy to delay the VP debate since the McCain camp offered up the VP date as the rescheduled Prez debate date.  I don't want a guy as prez who can't handle more than one task at a time, has anyone in camp McCain herd of a cell phone?  E-Main?  The Internet?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »
Isn't McCain the one who never used the internet?

Didn't McCain also admit openly he knows nothing about the economy?

Last week he said the fundamentals are good...I think the best way he can help is to AVOID being involved in any discussion

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »

McCain is an idiot.  Neither Obama nor McCain are going to be the "savior".  When the 3rd highest ranking Republican in congress was asked about McCain's impact on the stalemate the guy remained silent for 10 seconds!  :D

It's a total political ploy, in fact McCain was on TV last night, he was supposed to be on Letterman but cancelled and Letterman ripped him a new one after seeing him on TV giving an interview.  Some people are even speculating that it's a ploy to delay the VP debate since the McCain camp offered up the VP date as the rescheduled Prez debate date.  I don't want a guy as prez who can't handle more than one task at a time, has anyone in camp McCain herd of a cell phone?  E-Main?  The Internet?

I am on the same page as you.  I feel like why does McCain think he or Obama are going to make or break anything related to whats going on. 

Yet when I was driving to work this morning and was listening to KFI Bill Handle was like "This is a genius move by McCain, he wins either way"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:20:11 PM »
I say let McCain off the hook.  His VP candidate can step up and fill in.  This is a 3 AM moment...is she ready to answer the call?

BTW McCain's team may be trying to shield him.  Foreign affairs is supposed to be his strong suit.  Last week (maybe week before) he was doing an interview with a Spanish reporter.  When asked about the potential problem the Spanish president might be facing McCain launched into a diatribe about central america.  When reminded by the reporter he was from Spain McCain said 'I know" and continued with his rant.  When pinned down later he said that he knew Spain was in Europe but that there were many parrallels with Central America.  The guy is going senile in front of the voters eyes...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:44:17 PM »
Does anyone believe tomorrows scheduled debate topic would be tossed and changed to the Economy, one way or another?  Foreign affairs don't really have the immediacy when you got the US Government handing out a trillion or so dollars to 'fix' the economy

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »
Does anyone believe tomorrows scheduled debate topic would be tossed and changed to the Economy, one way or another?  Foreign affairs don't really have the immediacy when you got the US Government handing out a trillion or so dollars to 'fix' the economy

I think it would be.  They can easily tie in the economy in this country affecting the global market thus saying its part of 'foreign affairs'

I wouldn't put it past the Dems/Obama's camp to sneak it in somehow.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 05:26:26 PM »
McCain is already loosing in the polls, and the process is accelerating.  IMO, he was trying to look like a responsible leader, and ended up looking like he was running scared of the debate.

McCain is clueless about what is happening in the economy. He was one of the turds that voted to dismantle the depression-era regulations that separated financial institutions from insurance agencies!

It is absurd to think that he could add anything meaningful to the discussion about this crisis, since he helped to create it and doesn't understand how his actions helped lead us to this point. 

I'd like five minutes to ask the man questions on Television.  That would be the end of his political career!

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 05:46:58 PM »
Rick...how does your ego fit through doors?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 06:30:48 PM »
What's a matter jemagee, don't think you could put him on the spot?

Here's the first two questions; "what was your class rank when you graduated from West Point?"  "What was your grade point average?"

Then you could follow up with his basic knowledge of economics.  Like for example, what is a free market, and then ask, is the US a free market?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »
Rick...how does your ego fit through doors?

Is it Rick has a huge ego?  Or is it that John McCain just seems that clueless?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 06:36:42 PM »

McCain is clueless about what is happening in the economy. He was one of the turds that voted to dismantle the depression-era regulations that separated financial institutions from insurance agencies!

This shows how little you really understand of the whole financial crisis.

There are plenty of financial institutions that have combined commercial banking, investment banking and insurance without going head over heels into derivatives.  JP Morgan Chase is a strong example.   Bank of America another.

The repeal of the 1930 era rules have helped the American financial industry compete with the foreign companies in what is now a global economy.  Financial institutions in other countries were not burdened by archaic laws.  Just because commercial and investment banks are allowed to be combined didn't cause them to underwrite bad mortgages or invest in financial instruments they don't understand.

The breakdown of the walls separating financial institutions didn't cause the last 3-4 administrations (especially Carter & Clinton) to pressure Fannie & Freddie to extend more & more credit to low income housing.

Rick, go hide in your back bunker and suck on your gold bars for nourishment.  The sky is falling.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 06:39:17 PM »
What's a matter jemagee, don't think you could put him on the spot?

Here's the first two questions; "what was your class rank when you graduated from West Point?"  "What was your grade point average?"

And the relevance of these questions is...?

Why not ask his favorite color while staying at the Hanoi Hilton?  It is just as pertinent.
-Moody Blues

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 07:07:57 PM »
I think McCains been in politics for a LONG TIME and survived a POW camp and conned the republican party into the nomination, I don't think he'd be easily befuddled by me (or by you rick) especially when the questions are irrelevant to anything that matters.

My questions would probably be on the economy and what he knows about the new technologies, the flat world, and how things are evolving...since he's never used the internet that would actually be more interesting, but I expect he'd be prepared with non answer answers.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »

This shows how little you really understand of the whole financial crisis.

There are plenty of financial institutions that have combined commercial banking, investment banking and insurance without going head over heels into derivatives.  JP Morgan Chase is a strong example.   Bank of America another.

The repeal of the 1930 era rules have helped the American financial industry compete with the foreign companies in what is now a global economy.  Financial institutions in other countries were not burdened by archaic laws.  Just because commercial and investment banks are allowed to be combined didn't cause them to underwrite bad mortgages or invest in financial instruments they don't understand.

The breakdown of the walls separating financial institutions didn't cause the last 3-4 administrations (especially Carter & Clinton) to pressure Fannie & Freddie to extend more & more credit to low income housing.

Rick, go hide in your back bunker and suck on your gold bars for nourishment.  The sky is falling.

Talk about clueless! The sky really is falling, or more precisely the financial markets and the world's economy. It's not just one or two banks with problems, they are all in serious trouble. Even the banks you mentioned have seen their stocks go down along with the rest.  The economy is in serious trouble when housing fails, and it takes investment banks with it.  Real Estate should not the primary engine for a country's economy.

Paulson wants Congress to give him $700 billion for a bail-out and you think things are fine?  Do yourself a favor and buy some gold now, before it's too late.