Author Topic: Ot - Direc TV Users?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Ot - Direc TV Users?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »
My cable company seems unwilling to deal in most cases, i supposed i could call them with a 'last chance' and see what they do, but i must admit that I find it irritating that all these companies make all these offers to 'new customers' but do nothing for long term customers to make them feel appreciated and not want to leave when the newest offer becomes available, especially with the regional 'monopolies' that most cable companies have.

The thing is you have to be ready and willing to walk.  If you found a deal that works for you then go for it.  IMO you keeping cable internet but dropping TV should help your negotiating power.  I've had someone call me AFTER I cancelled to offer me a deal.  So if you call in the middle of a month and tell them to cut your cable TV at the end of the month you might get a call before you have to commit to a Dish.  Worked for me, I even upgraded to two more recievers, HD and DVR and the price was cheaper than when it was just regular cable.

The thing about new customers is the deal typically don't go for an entire year, I get deals for an entire year when I call to cancel.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »
I'll look into it, just trying to find anyway to save some money monthly - thanks for all the advice and tips

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »
I have had DirectTV for several years with no problems until this year, when my tree grew a bit large and blocked the signal. They came out and moved the dish to a more unobstructed place and solved the problem - for a service fee of $78.00. But that is what they charge - total - for just coming out to "see" what the problem might be.

I use the DVR all the time. It holds about 100 hours of shows, I can record two shows at once, but must watch something else recorded previously on DVR because we can not record TWO shows and watch a third, unrecorded show, at the same time. You can, however, record ONE show and watch something else on TV. Or, have two TV's attached to the satellite and watch something on the second TV.

You can pre-program up to fifty separate shows for the DVR to record, and if you want to record the whole series of a show, it will do that regardless if the network moves the show around. However, if the show runs over, or begins late, which happens often, you could miss part of the show because it does not recognize the time change.

We are pretty much spoiled by DirectTV now. The sports channels are extensive, the alternate channels are good and plentiful, and we love the music stations. They provide stations for every, single, type of music, from every era, and seem to play only the good stuff from that era. We did not get into that aspect of the system until this year and are kicking ourselves for not using <actually..heh..heh..FINDING!> those stations before.   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:47:15 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »
and we love the music stations. They provide stations for every, single, type of music, from every era, and seem to play only the good stuff from that era. We did not get into that aspect of the system until this year and are kicking ourselves for not using <actually..heh..heh..FINDING!> those stations before.   

This is just about the only reason we "watch" tv besides the NBA.  Or special events like the Olympics or disaster coverage

Never have had any dish service.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues