Author Topic: Ot - Direc TV Users?  (Read 2280 times)

jemagee

Ot - Direc TV Users?
« on: August 28, 2008, 07:37:39 PM »
Any DIREC TV people out there?  I'm thinking of switching over because they are offering some good deals right now on the NFL package and depending on what my cable company wants to charge me for just internet access, the costs might be cheaper (with a lot more HD channels as well...)

There's obviously a lot of anti Direc TV marketing out there from the cable companies, but I was wondering what anyones actual experience might be.

I have to apply for a waiver for the one of my local channels...has anyone out there have experience getting a waiver - was there a problem?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ot - Direc TV Users?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 08:16:40 PM »
I am Direct TV.  I like the service, but I have no cable option, I live 8 miles outside BFE.  I am not an NFL, so no experience with that, but overall I like the service.  They have a huge number of HD channels, which I haven't upgraded to as of yet.  Their internet service is abysmal, don't even consider going there.

You have to recognize you will have weather issues.  Where I live is very windy, and I get some snow.  I get intermittent signal problems.  I have a perfect unobstructed southern view, which gives exceptional signal when the weather is good, but that is an issue for some people.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 08:35:48 PM »
Hey, the boring monotonous weather of santa barbara will FINALLY come in handy...70-85 and sunny almost every day of the year...

Do you use their DVRs?  I was doing some reading that indicated you can only record one show with their DVRs and not watch another channel?  With my cable dvrs i can record 2 shows if i want to watch something on the DVR

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:06:38 PM »
I had Directv before until I got Verizon FIOS.    I really liked the service when I had it.   Never had anytime of problems at all.   Though I did have it with TiVO I heard they discontinued their contract with them recently.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:15:27 PM »
No word of a TiVo contract, but they do have DVRs...the 1 show at a time thing is a bug-a-boo that I'd have to have cleared up.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:26:35 PM »
Hey, the boring monotonous weather of santa barbara will FINALLY come in handy...70-85 and sunny almost every day of the year...

Do you use their DVRs?  I was doing some reading that indicated you can only record one show with their DVRs and not watch another channel?  With my cable dvrs i can record 2 shows if i want to watch something on the DVR

I have TIVO, and I can record two shows simultaneously, while watching a third recorded show.  You have to have two inputs.  I struggled with that in the beginning.  I built my home, and I asked for two inputs, and the Direct TV installer and the people who did the wiring for stereo/phone/ etc had a major fubar, and it took a couple of years to get the issue figured out.  Once I did I was able to get the two inputs things to work on the main TV and the bedroom TV.  Two inputs is the key.  Make sure you go over that clearly with the installer, and don't let up until you get it.

My father in law has Dish with a DVR.  I like TIVO much better.  Far better interface.  90% of what I watch is TIVO.

The only thing I ask in return for my advice is a box full of fresh picked Valencia's from Ventura County/Ojia/Santa Paula.  Ok what the heck, Santa Barbara will do fine too.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:32:30 PM »
Can you record 2 shows on a tivo if you aren't watching a 3rd show with one input?  My cable DVRs will record two and only have one input - but can't watch a third (which i'm used to with a standard dvr)

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 10:51:26 PM »
I can record 2 and watch a third that is prerecorded.  I cannot record two, and watch a third live.  I am not a techno geek, so I would have to defer to an expert on exactly how to set it up (WOW, Derek, Joe V, and I am sure few others here, Jomal, Ted and me, not so much).  You may be able to get by with one input, and split that signal right at the TV, which for all intents and purposes is the same as doing the split at the satellite.  All that I know is you need an input into the TIVO for every channel you want to control.  I don't believe it would be a problem to have 3 inputs if you want, just need the capability on the TIVO.  TIVO though requires a separate input for every "channel" (in the sense of a signal input channel, not a TV channel).  It cannot see all 500+ channels at the same time, it can only see the one channel that is being routed through the tuner on that input channel.

AA Mil

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:10:01 PM »
What is a Tivo?  ???
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 09:28:50 AM »
I can record 2 and watch a third that is prerecorded.  I cannot record two, and watch a third live.  I am not a techno geek, so I would have to defer to an expert on exactly how to set it up (WOW, Derek, Joe V, and I am sure few others here, Jomal, Ted and me, not so much).  You may be able to get by with one input, and split that signal right at the TV, which for all intents and purposes is the same as doing the split at the satellite.  All that I know is you need an input into the TIVO for every channel you want to control.  I don't believe it would be a problem to have 3 inputs if you want, just need the capability on the TIVO.  TIVO though requires a separate input for every "channel" (in the sense of a signal input channel, not a TV channel).  It cannot see all 500+ channels at the same time, it can only see the one channel that is being routed through the tuner on that input channel.

Directv runs two seperate coax cables into the TiVO box but that only allows you to either record and watch one show or record two shows at once and watch a pre-recorded one.  The set top box only has two places to run cable so I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to rig anything up.  It's not like cable where you can just take a coax cable and throw it into the back of your tv.

Though I do have to say I am pretty happy with Verizon now.  The problem with DirecTV is the only internet they offered through them was slow dsl. 

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:30 AM »
Well I did run the price comparisons last night and even if i just kept the cox internet that i have now and disconnected the entire service elsewhere the combined bill SEEMS like it would be cheaper by about 30 bucks per month, i'm just worried about those hidden charges...

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 11:51:53 AM »
Well I did run the price comparisons last night and even if i just kept the cox internet that i have now and disconnected the entire service elsewhere the combined bill SEEMS like it would be cheaper by about 30 bucks per month, i'm just worried about those hidden charges...

I run the same numbers every year and every year my cable company gives me a discount when I'm ready to bail.  IMO cable is better than sattelite, fewer problems with TV and internet.  I've had Direct TV, Dish Network and cable.  IMO it is not even close so I don't mind paying 20 to 30 dollars more.  What good do more channels do if you can't get a clean signal or at times no signal at all.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
My cable company seems unwilling to deal in most cases, i supposed i could call them with a 'last chance' and see what they do, but i must admit that I find it irritating that all these companies make all these offers to 'new customers' but do nothing for long term customers to make them feel appreciated and not want to leave when the newest offer becomes available, especially with the regional 'monopolies' that most cable companies have.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 11:58:01 AM »

I run the same numbers every year and every year my cable company gives me a discount when I'm ready to bail.  IMO cable is better than sattelite, fewer problems with TV and internet.  I've had Direct TV, Dish Network and cable.  IMO it is not even close so I don't mind paying 20 to 30 dollars more.  What good do more channels do if you can't get a clean signal or at times no signal at all.

It all depends on your area.  I never had signal problems when I had DirecTV.  Not a single one.

If you are going to get internet from your cable company it ends up being cheaper if you just stick with them for TV as well.  You get a price break if you have both.  

Jem, can you get verizon FIOS TV and internet in your area?  They have a deal right now where you get a free DVR media box that allows you to watch shows you record in any room in the house.  Internet is lighting fast.  The quality of regular channels looks good if you have an HD TV (normally they dont look decent).  I pay like 95 bucks a month for TV + Fiber Optic internet 10 mb down 2 mb up.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:59:32 AM by westkoast »

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »
If you are going to get internet from your cable company it ends up being cheaper if you just stick with them for TV as well.  You get a price break if you have both. 

Actually it doesn't....not right now...similar packages with directv and cable company for internet actually is a savings...but i'm still a bit wary just because of hidden charges.

And no, santa barbara doesn't have FIOS yet, and FIOS would make me wary because i truly hate verizon telephone company...