Author Topic: Donaghy gets 15 months...  (Read 7494 times)

jemagee

Re: Donaghy gets 15 months...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 05:00:09 PM »
Didn't DOnaghy specifically mention the lakers/kings series in an interview?  Even though he wasn't directly involved?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »
Here I was making up what I thought was stuff for years about that series and now I have been proven right.

It's far from being proven right.  It does cause one to pause though.  IMO Donahty should have gotten a lighter senctence, probably no jail time, if his allegations had any weight.

I agree it's far from proven right and regardless of the 'stretching' of the series there is one 100% sure fact that is undeniable...

The Kings had a legit chance to win game 7 and Donaghy did not cause them to miss FTs on their home floor....

Since Donaghy did not referee any games in that series, I imagine he had little to do with the outcomes of any of the games.

Maybe the Kings just could never beat the Lakers in the playoffs.  Saying they would have won the series in question because of a stretching of the series doesn't seem to be proven right 100%.

Didn't DOnaghy specifically mention the lakers/kings series in an interview?  Even though he wasn't directly involved?

Yes he did *hint* to it and that is what prompted my response.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 05:02:04 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

Donaghy cites the infamous ame 6 as an example of games that stern 'encourages' the refs to have go one way or the other to lengthen a series?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »
nope, i don't but i'm a philadelphia sports fan so yule haf 2 spel it oot 4 mee

Wachovia Center - men's room - philadelphia phudgepacker behind you - I know you've been there.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 05:03:35 PM »
nope, i don't but i'm a philadelphia sports fan so yule haf 2 spel it oot 4 mee

Wachovia Center - men's room - phidelphia phudgepacker behind you - I know you've been there.

The next time i go the wachovia center will be my first, maybe you could do some drawings with some stick figures,

mongo like candy

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
Maybe the Kings just could never beat the Lakers in the playoffs.  Saying they would have won the series in question because of a stretching of the series doesn't seem to be proven right 100%.

Maybe we will never know.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »

Ill give you that and I wish we would know.  I honestly do miss that rivalry.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »
next year will lead to the resurrection of a much more historic and interesting rivalry, since it's on the east coast.

The sixers celtics rivalry has been dormant too long

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 05:17:06 PM »
next year will lead to the resurrection of a much more historic and interesting rivalry, since it's on the east coast.

The sixers celtics rivalry has been dormant too long

Why not bring back the Philadelphia Warrior/Minnesota Laker rivalry?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »

Ill give you that and I wish we would know.  I honestly do miss that rivalry.

It was better then most, and certainly was a highlight of 2002.

jemagee

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 05:18:28 PM »
Why not bring back the Philadelphia Warrior/Minnesota Laker rivalry?

I'm hoping to renew the philadelphia blue jays philadelphia a's rivalry soon

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
I don't think basketball these days fosters rivalries well enough, i think they need to imbalance the schedule a bit more with those 29 extra games...more intra-divisional games are needed...just too many games in a season and only at most 4 games in the regular season?

In baseball you play your 'rival' over 10% of the schedule (19 times over 162 games)
In the nfl it's only two games but it's still over 10% of the schedule - then again that's not hard :)

In basketball it's barely 1/2 a percent...not even...i think they need to change the scheduling in the NBA

(PS, I also see conspiracies in the way some teams are dealt with on their opposite coast trips compared to others)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 11:12:36 AM »
'koast,

I'm with you;  the 15-month sentence, to me, seems EXCEPTIONALLY light.  In fact, to me, it suggests that he was VERY important in providing information to the feds.

The light sentence, in my opinion, makes Stern out to look a little more crooked.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »
The light sentence, in my opinion, makes Stern out to look a little more crooked.

What does David Stern have to do with criminal sentencing though?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 11:26:21 AM »
jemagee,

If Donaghy gave the feds nothing of importance, his sentence would be much, much, much stiffer, I think.  His cooperation, to this point, hasn't produced anything of real relevance.  So why is he getting a light sentence?  To my line of thinking, it means something that he's given up HAS NOT been made public yet.  And if there's something to that, it makes it look less favorable to David Stern's claim that this is just one rogue referee.  And if it isn't just one rogue referee, you'd think Stern would know that by now - which makes his other claims look like lies.

Donaghy's light sentence reflects badly on Stern - either because there's more to the story, or because corrupt officiating isn't really that bad.  Both are damaging to Stern.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!