Author Topic: Donaghy gets 15 months...  (Read 7493 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Donaghy gets 15 months...
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:50:04 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AklkHU9z.4BY6qRiSacyvqk5nYcB?slug=ap-bettingprobe&prov=ap&type=lgns

NY judge sentences disgraced NBA ref to 15 months
By TOM HAYS, Associated Press Writer

AP - Jul 29, 11:19 am EDT - Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy was sentenced to 15 months in prison Tuesday for setting off a gambling scandal that tarnished the league?s reputation and raised questions about the integrity of its officiating.

The sentencing in Brooklyn federal court culminated a case that hung over the league throughout the season and even into the NBA finals between the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers. League commissioner David Stern has repeatedly denied Donaghy?s claim that corruption among referees goes beyond him.

Donaghy?s lawyer had asked U.S. District Judge Carol Amon to give his client probation, arguing Donaghy is a pathological gambler. Amon, who could have imposed a sentence of 33 months, gave the former ref credit for cooperating with investigators, but scolded him for disgracing the sport.

?The NBA, the players and the fans relied on him to perform his job in an honest manner,? she said.

In addition to the prison time, the judge ordered Donaghy to serve three years of supervised release.

Folding his arms but showing no other emotion, the 41-year-old Donaghy apologized to the court. ?I brought shame on myself and my family,? he said.

Donaghy pleaded guilty last August to conspiracy to engage in wire fraud and transmitting betting information through interstate commerce for taking payoffs from a professional gambler for inside tips on games.

?By having this nonpublic information, I was in a unique position to predict the outcome of NBA games,? he told a judge at the time.

Donaghy didn?t stop there: In June, he marred the NBA finals by making fresh accusations that the league routinely encouraged refs to ring up bogus fouls to manipulate results, but discouraged them from calling technical fouls on star players to keep them in games and protect television ratings.

The allegations?contained in court papers arguing that Donaghy deserved leniency for voluntarily disclosing the alleged corruption?included one instance claiming referees rigged a 2002 playoff series to force it to a revenue-boosting seventh game.

Though the papers didn?t name the teams involved, only the Los Angeles Lakers-Sacramento Kings series went to seven games during those playoffs. The Lakers went on to win the championship.

Both Stern and the league?s officials have said Donaghy made the claims to get a lighter sentence.

?We anticipate that the judge?s sentencing decision, together with the changes we have made to our referee operations staff, will enable us to continue with the improvements we are making to our anti-gambling rules, policies and procedures,? Stern said Tuesday.

?There is little comfort to be gained from the mandatory prison sentence, especially as it affects Mr. Donaghy?s children and their mother, but hopefully the healing process can begin in earnest for all.?

The NBA has made a number of changes to its officiating program in the wake of the scandal. Former Army Gen. Ron Johnson was hired as senior vice president of referee operations, Bernie Fryer and Joe Borgia were promoted to new management positions and the league reassigned Ronnie Nunn, who had been the director of officials for five years.

Still pending is a report from the league into the Donaghy scandal and betting among officials. The NBA has promised to release the report, though it did not set a date for that Tuesday.

Last week, two of Donaghy?s former high school classmates were sentenced to over a year in prison for their roles in the scheme.

James Battista, a professional gambler and admitted drug addict, got 15 months in prison for making bets based on inside tips. Thomas Martino, the scheme?s middleman, was sentenced to a year and one day for paying the referee thousands of dollars for the tips. The three men attended school together in Springfield, Pa.

The league had demanded nearly $1.4 million in restitution. But the judge last week set the restitution at $217,266, to be paid jointly by the three defendants.

?Though we believe no sentence would ever be able to repair or justify the damage caused by this criminal and scoundrel, we are glad to finally put this behind us,? said Lamell McMorris, spokesperson for the National Basketball Referees Association.

?Tim acted in a completely selfish and unforgivable way, and has forever compromised the way people look at sports and officiating. However, NBA referees will continue to officiate with the highest level of integrity and professionalism.?

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Donaghy gets 15 months...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »
Here's hoping the League gives him his job back once he serves his time.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:00:51 PM »
Here's hoping the League gives him his job back once he serves his time.

Too bad he won't be out in time to help the Lakers in 2009.

Honestly, I really don't know what to think about that Lakers/Kings series now.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »
Oh, I don't know what to think about the NBA in general, Donaghy provided evidence to the feds that said there was a larger issue aside from just him, with the NBA 'encouraging' refs to 'lengthen' series...now, the NBA denied it of course, but if a cooperating witness gives you that kind of information and you investigate and find out he's lying, well then don't you smack him upside the head (metaphorically) for wasting their time?

I think there's a lot more underneath donaghy and it's being ignored or hidden.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:27:25 PM »
Not so much hidden as not being thoroughly investigated. Or at least they are being mum about it until concrete evidence is uncovered.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:32:08 PM »
Not so much hidden as not being thoroughly investigated. Or at least they are being mum about it until concrete evidence is uncovered.

Stern keeps mouthing off like it's been investigated and it's an isolated incident, i don't buy it, there's just too much 'home cooking' in the NBA and too much questionable stuff that goes on...it just makes me unsure that I can trust em, you got refs that people know and know that they mnight call one team differently than the other...officials should be transparent and have no major noticeable (sp?) impact on the game...that's how i see it

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:38:33 PM »
Honestly, I really don't know what to think about that Lakers/Kings series now.

Here I was making up what I thought was stuff for years about that series and now I have been proven right.

How do you think I feel?

My mocking reputation is in tatters; I may never recover my lack of credibility again. I have dreams where I have nowhere to turn that I do not see Phil Jackson's face in clown make-up, mockingly smirking at me as he says "TWENTY-SIX FOUL SHOTS.....AND THEY ARE ALL MINE!!!!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »
Here I was making up what I thought was stuff for years about that series and now I have been proven right.

It's far from being proven right.  It does cause one to pause though.  IMO Donahty should have gotten a lighter senctence, probably no jail time, if his allegations had any weight.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 02:12:30 PM »
I wonder what Scott Foster is thinking now?  How much longer for the statute of limitations to run out.....
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 04:52:23 PM »

I much rather have then wait to speak then throw out a bunch of what if's to the media.

Honestly it's hard to say either way if other refs did the same thing.  He has just as much reason to lie and he does to tell the truth.

15 months tho?  For tampering with pro games?  Am I the only one who finds this a little light?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 04:55:37 PM »
Let's see - he's a white guy, and there's no crack involved?

Nope, about right

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »

It's far from being proven right.  It does cause one to pause though.  IMO Donahty should have gotten a lighter senctence, probably no jail time, if his allegations had any weight.

I agree it's far from proven right and regardless of the 'stretching' of the series there is one 100% sure fact that is undeniable...

The Kings had a legit chance to win game 7 and Donaghy did not cause them to miss FTs on their home floor....
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »
Let's see - he's a white guy, and there's no crack involved?

Nope, about right

Even getting just 15 months, there will be some 'crack' involved, if you get my drift.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 04:59:06 PM »
nope, i don't but i'm a philadelphia sports fan so yule haf 2 spel it oot 4 mee

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 04:59:15 PM »

I agree it's far from proven right and regardless of the 'stretching' of the series there is one 100% sure fact that is undeniable...

The Kings had a legit chance to win game 7 and Donaghy did not cause them to miss FTs on their home floor....

Since Donaghy did not referee any games in that series, I imagine he had little to do with the outcomes of any of the games.