Author Topic: Eskin: Sixers about to sign Kareem Rush  (Read 26592 times)

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
Re: Eskin: Sixers about to sign Kareem Rush
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2008, 01:42:46 PM »
A blogger's perspective:
- The "points per shot" fans amongst us - basically me and me only - were extremely moist to hear that the Philadelphia 76ers have signed shooting guard Kareem Rush to form an incisive and efficient off-guard partnership with the incumbent Willie Green. These two players have a role to play for the Sixers, in that they are the only two guards currently under contract who can actually hit a three point shot. This is a positive. But the negative side-effect is that both of these players are really, really bad. The pair are both deemed "one dimensional scorers", but neither is any good at scoring. Willie Green last season scored 921 points on 870 shots, for a spectacularly bad 1.06 points per shot, a number that still somehow managed to raise his career average to a heady 1.02. Rush is even worse, scoring 588 points on 569 shots last year for a 1.03 PPS average, against a catastrophic career average of 1.01. Yeesh.

For the sake of a point of reference, free agent Sixers backup point guard Kevin Ollie has a career points per shot average of a modest 1.21. That from a man who has 9 made career three pointers. Technically, if you need someone to hit a shot, you are better served going to Kevin Ollie than Kareem Rush or Willie Green. While that statement lacks important context....it's something to think about. Supposed "scorers" suck at scoring, and it's not difficult to see this.

jemagee

« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »
Oh goodness

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2008, 11:26:05 AM »
A blogger's perspective:
- The "points per shot" fans amongst us - basically me and me only - were extremely moist to hear that the Philadelphia 76ers have signed shooting guard Kareem Rush to form an incisive and efficient off-guard partnership with the incumbent Willie Green....

Technically, if you need someone to hit a shot, you are better served going to Kevin Ollie than Kareem Rush or Willie Green. While that statement lacks important context....it's something to think about. Supposed "scorers" suck at scoring, and it's not difficult to see this.

First, I never want to hear about a blogger, or anyone for that matter, becoming "moist."

Second, could it bet that these guys pps is low because they never get to the foul line?  This is an issue for a guy like Green, because he makes a better driver than shooter- but for Rush we are asking him to stand out there and shoot.  If he only shoots threes and hits 38%, then that would be 1.15 pps, and I would be happy with that.

Offline darius08

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »
Yes, Rush's problem is that he never gets to the foul line. In fact, as a jump shooter he's very efficient. Compare his efg% on jump shots (46.9%) to the much discussed Michael Redd (47%). Of course Redd's efg% is more impressive since he's creating his own shot more often but 47% on jump shots is decent. It's not fabulous though. Contrast it to James Jones who was at 58%. Still, for the min., it's not bad.

Rush's problem is that he never ever gets to the line. He attempted 42 TOTAL free throws last season.

jemagee

« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »
Not getting to the foul line for a shooting guard, even a back up one, is a problem, it's one of many issues i have with willie green, a player who isn't even close to efficient

What's Redds PPS though?

Offline sixerscan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »
Google broken jem?

1.31 last year, 1.38 the year before, 1.29 career

There was a time where I really valued PPS but it's flawed in that if you miss a foul shot you don't get any penalty. TS% is much better.

jemagee

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »
It's sunday morning, I played mass effect all day yesterday (i needed a day off) i'm waking up and I gotta spend the day learning how to use data in files in my php/mysql class and I find it silly since stuff like that should be in datbases and not accessed in individual files (though i'm starting to think it might come in handy if i ever get my basketball thing built) plus I knew someone would look it up for me.

DOn't suppose you can give me Redd's TS% vs Green and rush :)

Offline sixerscan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »
put it this way. It's much much higher.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
LOL! Wow... we've gone from talking about comparing Redd to Iguodala to now Green and Rush. WOW!

jemagee

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »
Willie Greens minutes MUST drop dramatically if this team is serious about contending, that's been my stand for a while now.

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »
We can only hope. Last year, the Sixers didnt have any depth and this year they do. As long as Willie doesnt get more then 15 minutes, they will be a much better team.

jemagee

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
I worry that willie is a 'mo guy' and that as long as he's on the roster mo will play him too much (i find 15 minutes too much for willie)

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2008, 01:03:42 PM »
I think Willie is a Mo guy too, but now that Willie isnt starting (hopefully), Mo wont have any choice but to give him less time.

BTW... I dont think Ed is a fan of Willie.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
Bench Guards:

Lou: Scorer/Creator
Green:  Scorer/chucker with some defense
Rush: Shooter
Ivey: Defender?

Hopefully Mo will go to whoever fits best in the game- usually that will be Lou.

I really don't mind having Green as a bench guy.  He has some scoring ability, and could even be an asset off the bench.  I agree that too much will is a bad thing.

BTW- have you seen this Ivey vid from college.  Pretty harsh- beyond posterized by Warrick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4YSAcoF2Ys

And, now that we have Evans and Ivey, I strongly reccomed the use of cups by Sixers opponents.  Are anyone's nuts safe? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natJK96nU_g

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »
Wait... are saying that Ivey purposefully had his head get buried in Warrick's nutsack?? If so.... well, I'm not sure what I think about that.