Author Topic: Eskin: Sixers about to sign Kareem Rush  (Read 26619 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Eskin: Sixers about to sign Kareem Rush
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2008, 09:08:11 PM »
Iguodala's handle is fine- but he lacks a great first step.

Sort of the opposite of where Young is- great 1st step and bad handle.

Iguodala can't blow by his man, but he can dribble the ball to where he needs to and create for others through penetration.  This issue last year was that Evans and Green's men could sag off and cut down Iguodala's options.

Without great shooters Iguodala might still struggle some this year- and Young will struggle some at Sg- but the following year watch out- they should be great.

jemagee

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2008, 09:08:19 PM »
jem:

My point of using Bowen and Bell as my examples was when Skates said that Iguodala probably won't ever have that classic "quick release" stroke that classic SG's have...Bowen and Bell were guys who came into the league without that 3-pointer, but with time and (I would guess) hard work, they became above to above average 3 point shooters.  Iggy has actually shown that in the past (I'll get back to that later);

I'm not even sure what the heck you are referring to

My point was that i'm rather tired of people saying andre iguodala has never played SG...i wasn't referring to anything you said.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2008, 09:20:35 PM »
sub:

Even if he can develop a decent outside shot, as mentioned above, I don't see a Redd/Korver/Allen/Rip-like release coming anytime soon.
If the expectation is that he has to have one of the premier strokes in the league to be a good SG, I think that's unrealistic and unfair. Those guys are the cream of the crop, but do a fraction of the other things Iguodala does.

However, you still left out the other fatal flaw in his current game (with this current roster) that is a problem - his handle.  It's simply no more then average/pedestrian at best in the halfcourt...now, a couple of years ago, with AI on one side, and Korver on the other side, there were open spots on the perimeter and lanes that an athletic guy with a sub-standard handle could still take advantage of.  But on this team, with other teams zoning us up and packing it in), I don't see those lanes being available, and his handle simply is not good enough to create something, IMO.  Do you agree or disagree with that?

I think Iguodala's lack of a handle in the half-court is overstated. And as the year progressed, I felt he actually improved in that facet of his game, cutting down on TOs, making better decisions with the ball, etc. I think his ability to move without the ball and find spacing, and the ability of Brand to pass out of the post, will bump his productivity in the half-court.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2008, 09:55:21 PM »
jem:

I was referring to you post where you questioned why I used Bowen and Bell as my 3-point shooting examples...you did post that...right?

tk and sub:

As a guy who saw most of the Sixers games last year (including a bunch live), I stand by my statement that Iguodala has a no-better-than-average handle for a SG in the halfcourt.  If you don't agree with that, that's fine.

And, if teams zone up and pack the lane (because we can't hit a 3 to save our life and they want to double Brand), and Iguodala has the ball on the perimeter, where are these driving lanes going to be?  While I certainly expect Brand to be able to pass out of the double team and at least give our perimeter guys the chance to hit a uncontested jumper (whether Miller, Iggy and Thad can HIT that shot remains to be seen), I still don't see Iggy breaking down his man on the perimeter with his handle...much less finding driving lanes that may not be there...which is why it would be absoultely HUGE if Lou could actually play meaningful games in the future at the point.  He's the one guy in the Sixers backcourt who can get just about any shot he wants in the halfcourt.  At this point, Iggy has to rely on others to get space for his jumper and lanes to get to the rack (not exactly what I expect from my $70+ million SG).

jemagee

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2008, 09:56:40 PM »
I was referring to you post where you questioned why I used Bowen and Bell as my 3-point shooting examples...you did post that...right?

I don't think so, if i did it was unintentional

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »
oops...my bad, jem...it was sixerscan...

Sleep deprivation does some fucked up things to sensory processing.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »
jem:
which is why it would be absoultely HUGE if Lou could actually play meaningful games in the future at the point.  He's the one guy in the Sixers backcourt who can get just about any shot he wants in the halfcourt. 

Every offseason I somehow talk myself into Lou being a future star- and I won't claim it to be rational.  I just think the kid has "it" and has the mentality to be a star.  His game still has a ways to go, but he is the type of player who will come through in the clutch- you can just see it in his game.

I really hope Lou can polish of his game to where his jumper is less streaky and he can start to score better from 6-8 feet instead of having to go all the way to the hole.  Obviously he also has to continue to improve his PG skills- mostly in handling defensive pressure.

If Lou can add these skills he might be a great compliment to Iguodala and Thad.  Those guys need a true PH like Miller right now because they are still polishing there games- but in 1-2 years I think they will be ready to play best next to a dynamic scoring PG like Lou could turn out to be.

This is why I want to see Lou signed to 6 years instead of 3.

jemagee

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »
I have seen nothing yet that tells me louis williams can a be a starting point guard in the NBA...I think he's more than i thought he'd be, and can be one of the best sixth men in the game, but i don't see him as having the natural point guard instincts and I don't think those things can be learned...I think if the sixers ONLY plan to replace andre miller is louis williams i'm very very concerned

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »
I'll admit your view is the more rational one- I just have a gut feeling that Lou will be a special player- or atleast on the level of Young or Iguodala in terms of impact- but maybe I just expect him to magically attain some of AIs' scoring skills, which only come once in a generation at that size. 

Either way, I can't wait for this season to see how Lou, Thad and Iguodala develop under the lesser pressure of a much more talented team, but the greater pressure of higher expectations and attention.  I think Iguodala and Lou should really thrive, but Young might take a few more years than expected to really thrive at SF.

jemagee

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
but maybe I just expect him to magically attain some of AIs' scoring skills, which only come once in a generation at that size. 

But that's not a point guard :)  I admire your optimism, but I believe contingency plans are a good thing and a well run organization should NOT put all its eggs in one basket, for instance, marcus williams was a contingency plan, he wouldn't have been too expensive, but might have been a good contingency in case williams doesn't come through

one of the three point guards in memphis, i don't recall any being moved yet?

Sean Livingston - wouldn't cost much could have huge upside

I was shocked to see telfair get 2 (basically 3 really if it's a player option as reported

There just seem to be a lot of 'young' and 'potential' point guards rumored to be or just plain available this off season and i still think the sixers really need to make that something they look to do this off season.

What if they have a great but not quite there yet season and miller leaves and williams doesn't develop any more point guard skills...then you got problems :)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2008, 10:54:40 PM »

I agree with a lot of what is being said here...I think we still need Miller this season to aid in Iggy and Thad's development...I think that Lou has a chance of becoming - eventually - an AI-lite scoring PG (with hopefully better shot selection) that could blend well with Iguodala's all-around game to form a formidable backcourt...and we should try to do something by next summer to have another good quality young PG on the roster to develop in the even that Lou can't quite get there.

(all of this, of course, goes out the window if we can trade Miller for Hinrich)

;D

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
I'm fine with seeing how things go with Miller at PG and Lou splitting minutes at PG/SG.  We should know better next summer, and maybe we replace Miller with a quality vet PG, or maybe Lou/Thad/Iguodala is ready.  It might be too late to bring in a really young future PG like Lowry because there are not enough minutes to develop them.  Even Lou would not get reasonable minutes if wasn't a good enough scorer to log minutes at SG.

jemagee

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2008, 08:46:19 AM »
Sure there are minutes

Tell mo he can not play wilie green unless the spread of points in the game is 25+

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2008, 09:13:03 AM »
So I'm guessing Rush and Ivey won't get the press conference treatment... poor guys.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2008, 08:17:29 PM »
So I'm guessing Rush and Ivey won't get the press conference treatment... poor guys.

I don't think Ivey will get a whole lot of time out there, but the Rush signing is probably a little bigger than most people think as certain game situations will require his services.  I'm sure he'll find a role on this team.... hopefully he can find that role ahead of Willie Green at the midway point in the season.