Author Topic: Eskin: Sixers about to sign Kareem Rush  (Read 26670 times)

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Eskin: Sixers about to sign Kareem Rush
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
Yes. That's pretty much all he does.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »
I just thought this was too funny not to pass on from PhilaPhans.  In another of the long line of Iggy can't play shooting guard because he is not a great shooter arguments, Sub repeatedly tried using logic to win the argument, but when one of the resident PITA's posted these points:

the day i see Iggy consistantly come off a screen and make a few jump shots...i will then believe he is a SG.....but just because your on the court and supposedly playing the SG position, doesn't mean you are...i guess no one remembers Iverson being here all those years coming off screens and jacking up the shots.......you guys have no memory of the offfense they Sixers ran back then.....Iggy might have been on the court playing the SG position, but he wasn't playing the position on offense....hope you understand it now....

I guess not many people on here know basketball.......let me clear this up some more for people that dont understand what am saying.....just because you are announced to start at a position....it doesn't mean you actually play the position.....eg..Michael Jordan, Ron Harper and Steve Kerr....i am not explaining this..you either get it or you don't.......Iggy is not a SG...has never played it either......he was a defender on the wing and never ran off screens and shot jumpers....that is what a shooting guard is.....

Sub responded with the following:

And a power forward should always play powerfully, a small forward is always little smaller, and a center always stands in the middle. Got it.

Beautiful, just freaking beautiful.   ;D

jemagee

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2008, 02:33:56 PM »
You know that seems so full of BS but i'm not sure

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2008, 02:43:41 PM »
You know that seems so full of BS but i'm not sure

Actually, BS was on our side (albeit belligerently), it was, not surprisingly, a guy with X in his screen name.

jemagee

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
two sides, same coin :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2008, 03:22:50 PM »

Sub responded with the following:

And a power forward should always play powerfully, a small forward is always little smaller, and a center always stands in the middle. Got it.

That quote just made my day.  Sort of the good side of Philaphans without having to sort through all the excriment posts.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
Skates:

I don't know if that guy on PhilaPhans was so far off...while I am OK with signing Iguodala to a 6/70 deal, I am a bit leery of giving $70 million to a guy who 1) has never played the position that he is going to play under this contract full-time (SG); and 2) who - for all of his wonderful qualities - still comes up short in two essential areas for a SG - outside/3pt shooting and his drive/handle in the halfcourt offense.

Will he eventually develop those two facets of his game to match his $70 million contract?  Perhaps...but he hasn't yet, IMO.

jemagee

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2008, 03:26:18 PM »
I'm confused

When Andre Iguodala was starting with allen iverson...what position was he starting at?

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 03:34:23 PM »
It was the 2, but it wasn't REALLY the 2.  ;)

Apparently Aaron McKie was the SG as well.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 03:45:58 PM »
I'm confused

When Andre Iguodala was starting with allen iverson...what position was he starting at?

LOL! And of course, we all long for those days of either not making the playoffs or being bounced very quickly by the Pistons.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 03:47:10 PM »
Touche, TGP!

I'm sorry...then how about we simply throw out his stats since AI was traded and pay him based on his stats when he was the SG?

;)

I guess all of the man-love that Iggy has gotten based on his breakout 2007-08 campaign was based on him playing the SG...err...ahhh...umm...

Never mind.

I guess that I missed all of that wonderful outside shooting and drives to the basket in the half court set when AI was here...ummm...well...hmmm....

Let's move on...

But - HEY! - when AI was here, Iggy was a WONDERFUL defender at the SG position...right?  So...based on that...

$70 mil sounds about right.

(and I'm on board with giving him 6/70...but if you guys have ZERO concerns about Iguodala developing the shooting touch and handle in the halfcourt to EARN that $70 mil, then we are definitely not on the same page)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2008, 03:52:50 PM »
I'm with you 100%, bebop. I am also somewhat ok with giving him 6 years/$70MIL but obviously he hasn't shown that he can play "shooting" guard at a high level yet. That doesn't mean he can't improve but he's been a SF with a limited offensive game. I think the kid will get better and be alright but I'm not about to say that I don't have any concerns about him fitting what this team needs in the future.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2008, 03:56:38 PM »
Skates:

I don't know if that guy on PhilaPhans was so far off...while I am OK with signing Iguodala to a 6/70 deal, I am a bit leery of giving $70 million to a guy who 1) has never played the position that he is going to play under this contract full-time (SG); and 2) who - for all of his wonderful qualities - still comes up short in two essential areas for a SG - outside/3pt shooting and his drive/handle in the halfcourt offense.

Will he eventually develop those two facets of his game to match his $70 million contract?  Perhaps...but he hasn't yet, IMO.

The point of the discussion was whether Iggy can play SG.  I have no doubt that he can play SG on the right team.  On the Sixers we don't have shooters in a lot of other positions, hence I would tend to agree that Iggy needs to really improve his outside shooting, and drop a little bulk to add some speed back, to really fit at SG.  On a team with a shooting Pg and/or shooting bigs he could play a power/point SG position with ease.  Not all 2 guards are great shooters just like not all centers are low-post monsters.  Had the poster in question approached the subject like that and like you are, questioning his value based on his fit at SG on this team, I would have had no problem with it.  But the argument was much more sophomoric, hence, Sub's eloquent response.

Personally I think Iggy will develop into a very good three point shooter, but will never have a Korver type quick-release.  His mid range game should improve and he is already a good slasher to the basket.  He has a good handle in most situations, where he lacks it, as you noted, is in driving from a stand-still.  I don't know that he will ever be good at that sort of isolation play drive.  His initial burst dribble and first step are not explosive enough.  Iggy should not be asked to be an iso-play kind of a guy or try to be one, although that happened a lot last year.  When he tries to initiate offense off of his initial dribble drive he looks like a piss-poor imitation of Iverson, hence why philly fans think he sucks.  However, if we took Iverson and asked him to spend his time closely guarding a decent SG he would look equally bad.  The system when Iverson was here was designed to maximize his skills and minimize his strengths, like poaching the passing lanes.  The system last year and Iggy's lead dog role in it were ill-suited to his talents and made him look foolish at times.

Iggy is a great athlete and a strong fundamental defender, with a good perimeter and open floor handle and significant offensive skills within the flow of a game.  He can initiate the offense with a sweet pass and finish with the best of them off the pass, in addition to being an improving shooter when he is open.  At SG he should also work on his post game as he will have a size/strength advantage many nights and his passing skills out of the post could be spectacular.  Whether that is a good fit for this team going forward depends on how the rest of the team and system develops.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »
If we had a PG who could either 1) shoot it well from the outside (Hinrich) or 2) be the dynamic offensive threat (shooting, slashing, general havoc-wreaking) that would allow Iggy to simply be an all-around jack-of-all-trades (in my beloved AI-for-the-MLE scenario), then I think Iggy is a great fit for this team.  But with Miller at the point (no outside shooting and a real concern about wearing down as May and June come around), I wonder if we will get enough "classic SG" offense from Iggy to keep opposing defenses from just packing it in and doubling Brand.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2008, 04:02:39 PM »
Please excuse the following rant... ???

Who came up with these fixed positions anyway?  He is a swingman.  If pressed maybe a point forward.  They need to surround him with some shooters, whether he starts at the "2" or "3."  Hoepfully Thad and Lou will develop their shots.  Brand, Speights and Smith can shoot.  Sam only thinks he can shoot.  

And by shoot I mean hit open jumpers, not just three's.  Three pointers are great, but shooting and floor balance does not begin and end with three pointers.  A consistant 18 footer works fine for me- but maybe that's just leftover brainwashing from the LB smell your kids school of basketball (and as a pediatritian I generally recommend against smelling your children- especially if they are teenagers.)

When the Nets went to finals with Kidd, RJ and Carter, who exactly was the "Shooting Guard?"  When MJ, Pippen and Harper went to the finals who was the SG (and who was the PG.)  If the peices fit and you can defemnd then the offensive labels are not important.