Author Topic: Eskin: Sixers about to sign Kareem Rush  (Read 26623 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Eskin: Sixers about to sign Kareem Rush
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »

I guess I'd take Elson. Might be better than Booth for a 5th big. However, after Brand, Sam, Reggie, Smith, and Speights, could Elson or Booth even get on our active roster.

One guy I still would like is Quinton Ross. He should be able to get more than the minimum, but if not, I think he could get into our rotation ahead of Willie or Rush. He is a very good defender.

Maybe Brand knows him and could get him to sign for cheap, but probably not.

I think Elson would be a big upgrade over Booth.  I think he is a rich man's Hunter, and could see minutes at back-up center if Speights is not ready.  But, as you pointed out the team is already pretty deep in the front court.

I also agree with you about Ross.  I see him as a much better defender than Ivey- but he is less versatile since he can't play point.

I wonder how well WG can play emergency PG.  He used to play some at the point, but those minutes dried up once he became starter at SG and Lou needed minutes to help his development.  If WG can be the emergency back-up PG I would have rather gotten Ross over Ivey.

Of course this probably all fits the definition of "quibbling."

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »
I'd like someone with a little bit more size than Ross. With two guys who can already do what he does (defend the 2) and the possible addition of another player at the position in Rush, I'd rather find someone who can handle SF's a little better.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »
He's clearly being brought in to push Willie, but the only thing it appears he does better is shoot the three ball.

Seriously, some of you are too down on Green.  Right now, he's the 2nd best 2 on the team, even with the addition of Rush.

I also don't see Low Williams playing much at the 2 spot.  There's no reason to have that short of a back-court. With Iggy and Rush we'd have two 6'6" players at that spot, and Willie is 6'3".

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 07:11:16 PM »
He's clearly being brought in to push Willie, but the only thing it appears he does better is shoot the three ball.

Seriously, some of you are too down on Green.  Right now, he's the 2nd best 2 on the team, even with the addition of Rush.

I also don't see Low Williams playing much at the 2 spot.  There's no reason to have that short of a back-court. With Iggy and Rush we'd have two 6'6" players at that spot, and Willie is 6'3".

As much as it pains me to say it, I agree that WG has probably got the best all-around game out of the trio of Rush, Ivey and Green.  I do expect to see Lou W. play a good bit at SG unless he has really become a stronger PG.  The problem with WG is that when he's on he's unstoppable, but more often then not he is not on, and then he is close to awful.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 07:17:34 PM »
Not sure I understand this line of thinking. 

Are you saying that you see Williams playing decreased minutes this year? (Specifically, fewer than Green or Rush)

OR

Are you saying that it will be Miller playing fewer minutes? (Meaning Williams will see the majority of his minutes as the PG)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »

When Thad is on the bench Iguodala will shift over to SF.  During that time WG, Lou or Rush will play SG.  My money would be on Lou to get the bulk of those minutes (unless he is playing PG at that time.)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2008, 08:45:54 PM »
Eskin was right on this since it's now up on Philly.com. I do believe Eskin is gaining credibility with me after being right on about Brand and Rush.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20080728_76ers_come_to_terms_with_Kareem_Rush.html

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2008, 08:51:56 PM »
I'd like someone with a little bit more size than Ross. With two guys who can already do what he does (defend the 2) and the possible addition of another player at the position in Rush, I'd rather find someone who can handle SF's a little better.

I thought Ross started at small forward for the Clips. They had Cassell, Mobley, Ross, Brand, and Kamen when he started. He covered small forwards night in and night out. Coach Dunleavy said he started over Magette because he was the best defender on the team.

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2008, 08:52:13 PM »
I hope we see Lou get more minutes at SG then WG. I do think Willie is better then Ivey and Rush, but it will give us good depth with the wing and PG. There are some nights where Willie can be aweful, now atleast there are options to not go to him so much.

Offline sixerscan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
I don't think Ross is going to sign for the minimum.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »
I don't think Ross is going to sign for the minimum.

I know, but I didn't see Rush signing for the minimum either. If Ross starts getting offers in the 2 million-dollar range, then I think we are a legit option. Nevertheless, I assume he'll get more from someone.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »
I thought Ross started at small forward for the Clips. They had Cassell, Mobley, Ross, Brand, and Kamen when he started. He covered small forwards night in and night out. Coach Dunleavy said he started over Magette because he was the best defender on the team.

Most of the time he started, Maggette was in the starting lineup at the 3. There were only a handful of times both Ross and Mobley started together.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2008, 05:45:20 AM »

Most of the time he started, Maggette was in the starting lineup at the 3. There were only a handful of times both Ross and Mobley started together.

His second year, pretty much all of his starts were replacing Maggette, with Maggs coming off the bench, Mobley at the 2 and Ross at the 3.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:47:06 AM by Derek Bodner »

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2008, 07:31:34 AM »
His second year, pretty much all of his starts were replacing Maggette, with Maggs coming off the bench, Mobley at the 2 and Ross at the 3.

True, but I was just referring to this past year. I think Ross is a nice player, but I see him as more of a luxury than a need on this particular team, given who they already have on the roster. The crop of SF's in the East are relatively bigger in comparison to those in the West, and I'd prefer a bigger player (Diawara?) to help fill out the roster.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2008, 09:38:35 AM »
I'd prefer a bigger player (Diawara?) to help fill out the roster.

Is he a good defensive small forward?