Author Topic: Ellis Signs! 6 years/$67MIL  (Read 13297 times)

jemagee

Re: Ellis Signs! 6 years/$67MIL
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 11:11:23 AM »
The point on carmelo anthony is that in my opinion he is one of the most GROSSLY over paid and over valued players in the league and does not belong in the same league as James, Wade, Prince, etc...he's a selfish shooter with very little else to contribute, i think he might be more over rated than tracy mcgrady ever was...by virture of the draft he was in and his NCAA accomplishment his freshman year he was assigned a certain 'level' in the nba universe, and left there...dude shouldn't be on the olympic team and he shouldn't be paid what he's paid.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »
who do you compare him to? Tayshaun Prince? Caron Butler? Carmelo Anthony? Dwayne Wade? LeBron James?

Sentence fragments...my apologies...now we have two mr literals, i understand now.

The use of sentence fragments in this sort of declaratory response helps the clarity of the writing rather than lead to ambiguity.  IMO it is grammatically correct usage- especially for this setting.  Posts here are similar to speech writing, and we all know how people like to stand on their figurative soapboxes on message boards.  Our current company excluded.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:41:13 AM by tk76- »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 11:31:14 AM »
I don't think Tayshaun Prince belongs anywhere near the LBJ, Wade (when healthy), Kobe echelon, a very nice player but nothing resembling a franchise guy.  Carmelo could be in that group, he has the skills and athletic ability to be there, but he has to alter his mindset.  He will be a much better player if he ever gets out of Denver and into a winning system, but it would still take him being willing to make those adjustments he needs to be great.  

I agree with TGP and Jem on two separate points they made, Iggy should slot in around the $11 million per year range and Chris Mullin definitely over-paid (by my relative ranking, I know no one is over paid if someone is willing to pay them at that rate) Ellis by about $8-10 million over the life of the deal, no surprise there with Mullin.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 11:39:53 AM »
Let me also say that I feel Ellis got too much money, for too long, for what he's done and what they think he'll do, and the GM is Chris Mullin

My sentiments exactly. My feeling is that with Davis gone, Ellis' ppg will go up slightly, but his overall offensive numbers/production will not equal what he did last season.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »
Did I miss the part where Tayshaun Prince became an upper eschelon NBA player?

He's had 2 nice playoff series vs the Sixers, but both have been against 6'5"-6'6" small forwards who have a slow release on their jumpers.  He's exploited 2 match-ups that played to his strengths and philly fans think he's the shit.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »
Did I miss the part where Tayshaun Prince became an upper eschelon NBA player?

He's had 2 nice playoff series vs the Sixers, but both have been against 6'5"-6'6" small forwards who have a slow release on their jumpers.  He's exploited 2 match-ups that played to his strengths and philly fans think he's the shit.

People are willing to look past Princes pedestrian numbers and see his value on a good Pistons team.

I expect the same type of accolades for Iguodala in the future if he is key part of a finals team- even if his scoring dips significantly.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 12:17:47 PM »
It's Friday and frankly, my brain is toasted.

I will be happy if Iguodala signs something in the 6 year/$70MIL range... anything over that and I start to worry about how overpaid he becomes. Am I wrong?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 12:20:07 PM »
Agree, 6Yr/72M starts at 10.5M.  Anything higher would be above market value IMO.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »
Also... doesn't this signing more or less end any chance of the Bulls re-signing Ben Gordon this summer to anything more than a 1 year deal? I'm sure Gordon and his agent are expecting the same kind of deal that Ellis got given that the two players are somewhat similar to each other.

EDIT: I was just reading the Bulls' forum on realgm and a couple of posters there seem to think that the Ellis signing also drives up the value of Lou Williams as well. I guess that's a fair point. Hopefully negotiations don't sour between the Sixers and these 2 players.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:44:06 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »
I don't see how the Ellis deal would affect Lou's asking price. Right now, there's not much of a comparison IMO.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 12:51:27 PM »
For next year Ellis gets 9M and Gibson more like 3M.

there's a huge gap between these player's salaries, so its unclear where Lou will be slotted.

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 12:51:29 PM »
I don't see how the Ellis deal would affect Lou's asking price. Right now, there's not much of a comparison IMO.

Ellis has had two years to show what he can do, lou really only broke out this past season, there's a lot of similarity between their games but less known about how far lou can go, so it could have an imapct, i doubt it, but there's definitely a comparison, electric scorers...

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 01:01:58 PM »
There's a comparison to be made in regards to each of their styles of play. In terms of what each should be making based on what they've accomplished and should accomplish going forward, it's a difficult one.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »

there's a huge gap between these player's salaries, so its unclear where Lou will be slotted.

Hopefully Lou gets a 3 year/$18MIL deal. I think that's a win-win for all parties involved.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 01:25:29 PM »

Hopefully Lou gets a 3 year/$18MIL deal. I think that's a win-win for all parties involved.

I actually do too, but probably not for the reason you're thinking.  A 3 year deal takes his contract off the books the same year as Dalembert, Green, and Evans.