Author Topic: Ellis Signs! 6 years/$67MIL  (Read 13296 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ellis Signs! 6 years/$67MIL
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. There won't be the same level of FAs in 2011 as there are the previous summer BUT if Andre Miller is still here, he'll be well on the downward spiral of his career. Thad Young and Speights should be upcoming players while Iguodala and Brand should still be top notch players.

Having some cap space the summer of 2011 would enable us to either re-sign Williams if we believe he can play the point or we could take a run at a free agent PG or make a trade.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »
It's Friday and frankly, my brain is toasted.

I will be happy if Iguodala signs something in the 6 year/$70MIL range... anything over that and I start to worry about how overpaid he becomes. Am I wrong?

I think you are right on the mark.  I would also love to see a yearly decrease in the contracts for both Iggy and Lou, a la Hinrich, to increase future flexibility in trades and tax implications.

For next year Ellis gets 9M and Gibson more like 3M.

there's a huge gap between these player's salaries, so its unclear where Lou will be slotted.

Hopefully Lou gets a 3 year/$18MIL deal. I think that's a win-win for all parties involved.

I actually do too, but probably not for the reason you're thinking.  A 3 year deal takes his contract off the books the same year as Dalembert, Green, and Evans.

For the same reason I would be happy to let Iggy have a 3 year opt-out in his contract.

Did I miss the part where Tayshaun Prince became an upper eschelon NBA player?

He's had 2 nice playoff series vs the Sixers, but both have been against 6'5"-6'6" small forwards who have a slow release on their jumpers.  He's exploited 2 match-ups that played to his strengths and philly fans think he's the shit.

For us old guys Tayshaun Prince = Bobby Jones, franchise guys = Erving, Malone, possibly Toney (if the feet didn't break).  Good god, sometimes I forget how freaking good that team was.  They would have absolutely crushed this year's Celtics team.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »
The '83 team probably would have beaten most of the NBA title teams since Jordan's Bulls. Anyone else here own the 76ers Dynasty DVD set? I love watching Game 7 of the '82 ECF and of course, Game 4 of the '83 Finals. That team was awesome is sooooo many ways.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 01:54:09 PM »
If I had to choose between Ellis and Iggy, it would be a tough call...but if the current market value for Ellis is 6/65, then there is no fucking way that Iggy is worth even CLOSE to 5/70, IMO.

He and his agent better get a grip or get ready to play this season for the QO.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
If I had to choose between Ellis and Iggy, it would be a tough call...but if the current market value for Ellis is 6/65, then there is no fucking way that Iggy is worth even CLOSE to 5/70, IMO.

He and his agent better get a grip or get ready to play this season for the QO.

No, 5/70 is getting close to the max (5/80).

6/70, on the other hand is reasonable.  It would be a starting salary of <10M, and is close to the 5/57 + 1 year with the normal 8% raise.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 02:57:50 PM »
Tk:

I'll pay Iggy 6/70.

That is a LOT different than 5/70.  Iggy and his agent need to put down the crack pipe and back away slowly if they think he should get even close to 5/70.

WTF has Andre Iguodala done in his NBA career to deserve a contract that averages 14m a season?!?

Again - if Ellis' contract is setting some kind of value for quality RFA's, and he signs a SIX year deal that averages over 3m less than what Iggy is reported to be seeking, then I say fuck him - tell him to sign the QO...no sense in trying to do a S and T, as I feel reasonably comfortable saying that NO NBA GM will give Iggy 5/70.

It's one thing to deal with Iguodala's "whining to the refs and making faces at his teammates on the court" shit, but paying him truly ridiculous money just to make him "happy"?

Fuck him.

I'd renounce his rights and try to sign Gordon in a nanosecond before I would consider giving him even close to 5/70.  I would like to be a fly on the wall listening to his agent trying to rationalize 5/70 to Stefanski.

If these numbers are even remotely true, then Iggy is risking all of the goodwill that has been builr with the Brand signing, and I will hate him for the rest of his career.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 03:11:08 PM »
I don't disagree, but I think we all need to think positive thoughts and find our happy place.  A lot of peole on edge today :-[

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/snlcn/franken/stuartepisodes.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=p3MiD_U4CHQ

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:14:52 PM by tk76- »

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »
and I will hate him for the rest of his career.
I bet he'll lose sleep over this possibility ::)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »
Tk:

Good post, bro!

I actually typed that post on my Blackberry from the deck of my house in LBI...looking at the ocean as we speak...I am just beginning to wonder whether this whole thing with Iggy can have a happy ending.

I thought that we were finally finished with all of the "drama" around here (AI, LB, CWebb...).  At least those guys had done something in the NBA.

Iggy hasn't done jack.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »

I actually typed that post on my Blackberry from the deck of my house in LBI...looking at the ocean as we speak...

Hey, I'm the one at work (despite all my posting)- you should be the the happy one.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 03:25:03 PM »
Iguodala's doing what he, as an employee of the NBA, is entitled to do. Let's not get too riled up over reports of what he wants and such. And the "he hasn't done jack" argument doesn't fly with me. He's proven himself as a player on the rise in this league, and he should get what he can.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »
Sub:

You want to pay Iggy 5/70?  Fine.  Be my guest.

If Stefanski pays him 5/70, as a season ticket holder who is spending my money, I'll be pissed at him too.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 03:45:36 PM »
I don't know how many of us are riled up vs. bored/in NBA news withdrawal, after the draft and big start to FA.  Re-signing your own free agents just doesn't give you the buzz like picking up Elton Brand does.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
Tk:

I am happy...I'm just not happy at Iggy and his agent right now...

jemagee

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 04:12:47 PM »
Tk:

I am happy...I'm just not happy at Iggy and his agent right now...

It's true, players and agents should take into considerartions fans feelings when negotiating...probably should be high on the list