Author Topic: Iguodala's PPG w/ Brand  (Read 8709 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Iguodala's PPG w/ Brand
« on: July 12, 2008, 02:40:47 PM »
I've been doing some thinking about what kind of year we can expect from Andre Iguodala this upcoming season. On one hand, he averaged 19.9 PPG as the #1 option on a playoff team that didn't have any sort of a low post presence on it's roster. With Brand now taking on double-teams, Iguodala should get a lot cleaner looks at the basket in a half-court set which could lead to a higher FG% and perhaps more PPG. On the other hand, the combination of Brand eating into his shot attempts and the possibility of Thad Young have at least one plat a game drawn up for him might eat into Iguodala's PPG.

PPG aren't the end all/be all of an NBA player but I just wonder if you are expecting to keep his average were it was this past season or do you think he might slide down a little? I believe I'm expecting him to average around 16 or 17 PPG along with usual solid assist and rebound numbers. I do expect his FG% to increase this year and if it does, then I think this team will be in great shape.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Iguodala's PPG w/ Brand
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 02:46:57 PM »
I believe I'm expecting him to average around 16 or 17 PPG along with usual solid assist and rebound numbers. I do expect his FG% to increase this year and if it does, then I think this team will be in great shape.

I think it depends more on Thad's production than Brand's.  If Thad doesn't score much I expect Iguodala to score 18+ ppg on better (47%+) shooting.  I think he takes less shots, but draws more fouls as the lane opens up.  his assists also go up, but he will rebound less at SG given his location on the floor.  Last year we had nothing in the post from our PF or C.  Iguodala went to the line more in 2006-7 when we had a better PF in Joe Smith.  Brand obviously is better than that.

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
Iguodala's shots likely won't be negatively effected by Brand.  He was dumping it in to sam and Reggie like the were the admiral and timmy.  Now, when he gives the ball to a big guy he's gonna actually make a shot.  He'll draw less double teams and Brand should open up driving lanes.  He'll be guarded by sg's were he can be more physically assertive as well.  I don't think that he'll score that much more because it's just not in his nature but I think it will be much more efficient. Hhis fg% and 3pt% should rise.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 02:53:04 PM »
I do think Iguodala's numbers will go down when Thad is ready to be a primary scorer.  Young will cannibalize some of Iguodala's touches- which I think Iguodala would welcome.

Brand will mostly impact Miller's numbers.  He will no longer be used much in the post.  I expect less scoring and more assists (14/9) and slightly lower FG%.  Miller could average 10+ apg if this team upgrades its shooters.

I expect the Sixers to be a top NBA team in:

FG%
Blocks
Dunks
Steals
Fast Break points scored
Rebounds (if they play at a fast pace)
FT attempts/made
OBoards

hopefully FG% allowed

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 03:11:29 PM »
I'm predicting around 17ppg from Iguodala this year with improved FG%.  Brand and Young will both take away his shot attempts.  I'm hoping for him to see a new career high in assists.  He's got his share of options in Brand, Thad, Miller, and Sam. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 05:41:15 PM »
I am sure Brand will be our primary low-post scorer, but he can also shoot pretty well from mid-range and I would not be surprised to see Thad and Iggy both working down low at times.  Thad has those instinctive low-post moves already and Iggy will have a big stregth advantage at SG on many nights.  I doubt we will see Miller down there as much, except when we play Orlando, he loves to post up Jameer.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:14:20 PM by Skates »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 06:12:24 PM »
I doubt we will see Miller down there as much, except when we play Denver, he loves to post up AI.

Fixed.

Offline Mozy-76er Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »
I think Iggy will be in the 17 - 21 point range.  I think his PPG could increase even with Thad scoring more and Brand scoring a lot because the 76ers as a team will be scoring a lot more points.

Offline darius08

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 11:44:34 PM »
Almost mechanically Iguodala's points have to go down. We scored 96 points per game last season. Even if we jump drastically (which I don't see happening because I don't see our pace of play going up) we could move up to 100 points per game: roughly 9th in the league.

That's only 4 more points. You figure Brand is going to get 20, say 12 more than what we're getting from that position in those minutes right now.  You figure Thaddeus will also deliver another 2-3 more. So that's 15 more minus the 4 total increase = 11 points per game that have got to come from someone.

An ideal candidate is Miller. He's a reluctant scorer to begin with. You can expect 3 points per game drop from him. That still leaves us with 8 that have got to come from elsewhere.  Iguodala, Green and Dalembert are my prime candidates for that drop.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 10:41:45 AM »
Iguodala gets points in open court and half-court.  Against intuition, I see his half court scoring maintained, while his open court scoring down due to less running by the team.  Iguodala got a ton of points in the open floor.  The Sixers intend to be a running team again, but if they go away from this (they won't be as desperate to force the action, and will be playing with a lead more often) then Iguodala's scoring in the open court goes down.  Thad will also be a bigger open court contributor this year, now that he can dribble better.

From the admittedly small sample of 2 summer league games, I think Thad is not ready yet to be a major ball handler in the half court at SF.  I am confident he will play smart enough to contribute at SF despite his unrefined handle- but I don't see his scoring to be much more than 12-13 ppg this year.  If that is the case, he won't cut into Iguodala's scoring opportunities in half court.

As I said before, I don't see Brand directly decreasing Iguodala's half court chances that much.  The team may have only gotten maybe 10 ppg from the PF position- but if Evans converted some of his easy chances that number would have been higher without effecting Iguodala.  Brand will have the Ball in his hands more, but Sam Miller(less posting) and Green(replaced indirectly by Thad) will have less touches.  Brand's touches should open up easy looks and drives for Iguodala, balancing itself out.

I guess this adds up to about 18ppg.  Maybe a few less open court dunks because the Sixers will slow down the pace a bit when they are playing with a big lead.  Last year they had to scrap for ever chance to run.  I think Iguodala will appear to be a much more refined scorer in the half court, since his job will be much easier not having to score alongside Evans and Green.

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »
This is actually a really difficult thing to figure out because we've done so much position switching.  We have effectively removed or shortened the playing time of most of our least efficient players.  Willie green is benched, Carney is gone, and Reggie is benched.  Also, Smith's minutes should be ate up my Speights, if Smith isn't dealt.  Some of this has nothing to do with Iguodala, but I'm just happy to have an UBER efficient team on the floor most of the time. 

I don't think Iguodala is negatively effected by Brand at all.  I Think he may have a touch or two less but that would be offset by increased efficiency in the halfcourt.  Everyone should get an ample amount of touches since miller (he was up 3 fga from what he averages historically), Carney, Green, smith and Evans all will get less.  particularly you carney...   

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 11:48:43 AM »
How efficient was evans last season?  I mean with brand, evans should see a lot less minutes as well, no?

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 12:44:02 PM »
Yeah I put that reggie would likely be benched.  Reggie had a TERRIBLE FG% of .439 (pretty much the same as Willie's)  And he had and EFG% of .441.  also pretty damn terrible.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 02:17:21 PM »
Evans is one plater you don't need numbers to prove his struggles.  If anything, his contributions went beyond his numbers in terms of hustle and disruption- but Evans/Sam has to be one of the most offensively challenged frontcourts in the league last year.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 03:16:52 PM »
Overall Evans is not an asset on the court...i believe all his 'positive' contribution is off set by his inability to shoot even at a level than sam

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708PHI.HTM