Author Topic: Farve  (Read 10709 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Farve
« on: July 12, 2008, 11:32:05 AM »
You can't escape the story can you?

The idea of letting him walk because of all he has done for the Pack, well the Pack has paid him over 100 million so i think they both benefitted.

The Packers should trade him, absolutely.

jemagee

Re: Farve
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »
Dude should make a decision and stick to it...stop screwing with the organization

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:37:11 PM »
Dude should make a decision and stick to it...stop screwing with the organization

To throw the flip side out there...he's been playing football his entire life.  All 131 years he's been on this earth and for the last 40 with the Packers.  I wonder if his problem is he doesn't know what to do with himself if he's not playing football.  My grandfather was that way when he retired.  He loved what he did and had been doing it for so long he could not imagine life with out work.  Maybe Brett could be feeling the same way??

As far as them releasing him, I think they should.  You know he has done a lot for the city and the Packers, he's a legend, and brought them a championship in recent history.  He has worked with them for 17 years and he is a nice guy.  The list goes on and on.   Really though...he needs to make his mind up so they can do the same.  They drafted that kid 2-3 years ago to replace him knowing his time was up, just use him.  Let Brett go.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »
From a cost benefit analysis you don't release him UNLESS you can't find a taker in a trade, it's downright stupid not to at least explore trade options...i know trades in the NFL don't happen much, but if a team wants brett favre you think they'd work out a first round pick or something....

However, Favre has to take the first step, he's still retired until he sends a letter to the commissioners office to 'unretire'...

ESPN News reporting that the Pack won't give Favre his release...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 01:10:31 PM by jemagee »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:24:08 PM »
I really can't begrudge a guy for continuing to pursue his passion.  It's like when Michael Jordan came back and people cried he's ruining his legacy because he's staying around too long and becoming ineffective.  Ultimately, it's their legacy.  If being able to continue playing is worth more to them than their legacy, who am I to argue.  I certainly wouldn't want other people to tell me when it's time to stop pursuing my passion.

That being said, it's the Packers responsibility to do what's best for their team.  If Aaron Rodgers career is wasted, to me it either falls on Aaron Rodgers for not being able to beat out Brett Favre, or on the Packers for letting someone else dictate their depth chart and not doing what's right for the team.

The whole salary cap thing is the real travesty.  When a player retires, that should be it on his contract.  He should no longer get paid, and the team should no longer be on the books for the contract.  I'm not sure how much of Favre's contract is from bonuses, so I'm not sure the cap hit GB would be looking at to release him.

Brett is slightly annoying me, not because of his indecision and desire to come back (because as I said, I can't begrudge him for wanting to continue playing), but because I do think he's a little bit of a media whore and a drama queen.  I just get the feeling he's doing this more because he misses the spotlight than because he misses actually playing football.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 01:41:22 PM »
A LITTLE bit of a media whore and a drama queen?  That's like calling me slightly beliggerent

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
Agree that Farves chagning his mind and wanting to continue to play is his call all the way.
Agree also that the attention whore way he is going about it again this year is  ::)

Pack just countered by saying Farve can come back -as a backup.
The trade is on!

Farve really could do well some places with great D.  He was just one boneheaded interception away from the SuperBowl.  Baltimore, Tampa Bay.

Wonder what Green Bay will get out of this trade?
NFL has none of the silly dollar for dollar nonsense the NBA has, right?

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »
The NFL has no dollar for dollar stuff, but they do have a pretty 'hard' cap type thing...you don't often see a lot of trades of big name players in general...trading Favre will not be easy.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 02:59:11 PM »
you don't often see a lot of trades of big name players in general...trading Favre will not be easy.

Usually because of the dead weight on the cap it would create from bonuses that the trading team would be stuck with.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 03:00:36 PM »
So...realistically Green Bay can hope for what in a trade?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »
Nothing.  He'll be released, IMO.  Maybe a 4th round pick if they're extremely lucky.  I doubt higher than that.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
So...realistically Green Bay can hope for what in a trade?

Keeping him away from the vikings, who really need a QB, and that would just be awesome on opening night MNF, when the packers are currently scheduled to honor favre, and you have vikings packers...john madden if he had the game would plotz himself

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »
Nothing.  He'll be released, IMO.  Maybe a 4th round pick if they're extremely lucky.  I doubt higher than that.
Wow, that blows me away.
I mean what is Baltimore, Tampa Bay etc going to do with their would-be 3rd, 2nd, or for that matter 1st round pick that is going to impact their team more then Favre?
I think it's safe to say he was in the top 5 for qbs last year.  Arguably top 10.
Atlanta?  In serious need of getting over the Michael Vick fiasco and Favre would be a great PR move. 

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »
atlanta invested a lot of money (and PR) in a high draft pick on a rookie QB they've already been hyping.

One year of Favre does nothing in Atlant except slow the development of their QB (I wanna say matt ryan but i'm blanking right now)...

Favre really only helps a team that thinks "If only we had a pro bowl QB we'd be super bowl contenders"...like a Minnesota..etc...

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 04:32:56 PM »
^^ yeah i had ATL mixed up with his old offensive coordinator that he set records with, Mike Sherman.  Sherman went to Houston.

Just like the NBA, no way should Green Bay trade inter division.
Maybe not even interconference.