Author Topic: Game Thread- Summer league- Game 5; 7/17 8PM Webcast  (Read 50792 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Game Thread- Summer league- Game 3; 7/15 8PM Web and NBATV
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »
Good stuff, TK.  Highlights looked solid from Speights, but how about that pivot move down low by Jason Smith? 

We have the Wiz tonight.  It'll be interesting to see Speights go up against Blatche and McGee.  Who ordered a nightmare? 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Game Thread- Summer league- Game 4; 7/15 8PM NBATV, 8:30 Webcast
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
Keep in mind tonights game is similar to last night's in that it will be broadcast live at 8PM on NBA TV, but will be tape delayed 30 min on NBA.com's webcast.

Also, since it is an NBA TV game, it should be available Thursday for watching an archived game.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Game Thread- Summer league- Game 3; 7/15 8PM Web and NBATV
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2008, 10:37:20 AM »

We have the Wiz tonight.  It'll be interesting to see Speights go up against Blatche and McGee.  Who ordered a nightmare? 

The frontcourt match-up is good, but both frontcourts are at somewhat of a disadvantage because sloppy summer league play tends to be more guard oriented.  Thad, Smith and Speights would have really benefited from LouW playing, or at least some decent PG.  As it is, Thad, Lamont Gordon and Junior Harrington are sloppy looking out there.

Son't get me wrong, Thad has shown signs of an improved handle and evidence that he is a star SF in the making- but he still is a far cry from a point forward.
---

Speights has looked better every game.  He has these brief spurts where he just takes over with follow dunks and easy finishes.  He has great hands, and is really quick for his size.  He lacks great natural shotblocking instincts, but seems to have the tools to be a good defender and rebounder.  Speights is both big and quick.  I think he will be able to stay in front of Washington's bigs- but it should be interesting.  I think of the 4 bigs Blatche is by far the most polished.

Speights jumper with his feet set looks automatic- and his form is pristine.  He does look very raw when he puts the ball on the floor or tries to make moves- but is very effective when he gets his feet under him.  The guy has all kinds of potential to rapidly develop into a top PF.  Way ahead of where I thought he would be.  In fact, in some ways he looks as ready at PF and Thad does at SF.

Thad shows great moves, first step and finishing ability.  Also, looks good defensively on the wing.  Thad looks very sloppy on his drives- tries to do way to much fancy dribbling- although drives with his head up and has made some great passes.

Smith has been shooting well, and made that one good post move.  Smith has looked really small and soft out there- esp in comparison to Speights.  Smith seems to struggle to control rebounds even when in position, where as Speights moves around like a man amongst boys.

jemagee

« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »
It's a shame that the guards the sixers brought to the summer league are kind of thad and pathetic, i watched about 5 minutes of last nights game and one dude was so turnover prone it hurt me to watch.

Tonights game is airing live on NBA TV as well for those with the channel.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
For those with Comcast as their provider, does anyone know if you can purchase a single channel like NBATV?  or would you have to upgrade your whole package to get that channel? 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2008, 11:36:20 AM »
Pretty sure you have to get an add-on package.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:39:46 AM by Derek Bodner »

jemagee

« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »
In my experience, packages like that don't cost more than 5 dollars per month and if you only wanted it for summer league, you might be able to add it then turn it off a couple weeks later, cost would be minimal and you could probably have it turned on by the time you get home from work (assuming comcast is halfway competent)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »
I've only gotten to watch a little bit of the Summer league, but between what I've seen and what I've read here and in the papers, it seems like Speights could step in and be a 20-25 MPG big man right away.  He's huge, athletic, has great hands, can put the ball in the hoop, and rebound.  Nice surprise.  As for Thad, he's lightyears ahead of where anybody expected him to be.  He still needs to work on his handle, but he has all the makings of a star.  Read something, either in the paper or on ESPN, where he was considered one of the 3 best players in the SL.  Not sure who the other 2 were.

jemagee

« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »
Who is speights going to take minutes from?

Let's ASSUME sam can stay out of foul trouble (i know a big assumption) and average 30+
Let's assume that Brand stays healthy and averages 30+

in fact, for safetys sake let's say they each average 30 minutes exactly

That leaves 36 MPG between Jason Smith, Reggie Evans and Speights, now I think speights is going to be amazing, a possible all star, but right now he probably isn't ahead of evans on the depth chart.

I mean with his athleticism i think he might be the best option for the 'athletic' line up if brand can' keep up at center (much better small line up center than sam in my opinion)

Where the sixers used to be overly clogged at the 2/3, they now seem a bit clogged at the four and speights may suffer because he's a rookie unless he wows in training camp the way andre iguodala did his first year here.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
I'll say a combined 66 for Brand and Dalembert.  That leaves 30 minutes.  Evans probably gets 15-18, Speights and Smith will be left to fight over the remaining minutes.

And just because Speights could be a 20-25 mpg guy doesn't mean he will be.  Of course, things can change quick, who thought that Thad would even get off the bench last year?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2008, 12:22:16 PM »

That leaves 36 MPG between Jason Smith, Reggie Evans and Speights, now I think speights is going to be amazing, a possible all star, but right now he probably isn't ahead of evans on the depth chart.

Speights is raw, and would not be ehaead of Evans at PF- but he might end up the main back-up to Sam at C.  Speights is really big.  He looks as tall as Smith, but both a good deal bigger and longer.  He can still add to his frame, but he already is bigger than someone like Bosh or even JO.

If Speights is ready to play C, I see him ahead of Smith.  On some nights, that could mean a 20+ min run when Sam is in foul trouble.  Against bigger teams we won't want to have Brand get beat up covering a center.  But against smaller teams I can see Speights getting a lot of DNP CD's.

jemagee

« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »
who thought that Thad would even get off the bench last year?

He was blocked by reggie evans (and willie green if you want to look at it that way, like i do :) )

Speights is blocked by brand and dalembert who are a higher level of talent than Evans and Green :) 

If the sixers are floundering maybe speights gets more minutes, but part of the reason young started to get minutes was the need to 'do something' to shake up the team.

I really thinks Speights NBA minutes will be limited and we'll get a good idea if the "don't use the NBDL" thing is a billy king idea or organizational idea...

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2008, 12:29:36 PM »
To start the season, I expect Speights to get ca 10 minutes per game.

By the end of the season, I expect him to get 15-20 and really take over Evans minutes.

There will be times inbetween where that could go up if injuries occur

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »
That leaves 36 MPG between Jason Smith, Reggie Evans and Speights...

I'll say a combined 66 for Brand and Dalembert.  That leaves 30 minutes.  Evans probably gets 15-18, Speights and Smith will be left to fight over the remaining minutes.

To start the season, I expect Speights to get ca 10 minutes per game.  By the end of the season, I expect him to get 15-20 and really take over Evans minutes.

Does no one expect Young to see any minutes at the 4 this season?  Wouldn't surprise me to see him at PF for 5 minutes or so a game.  That would cut into Speights/Smith time.

jemagee

« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »
Does no one expect Young to see any minutes at the 4 this season?  Wouldn't surprise me to see him at PF for 5 minutes or so a game.  That would cut into Speights/Smith time.

I think that goes into my discussion of the 'small lineup' where i think speights would be a better center...if brands legs can't keep up...i don't know how athletic up and down the court brand is

Young at the four was more of a necessity last year than anything else I think...that necessity seems gone