Author Topic: Lakers are seriously looking to acquire Ron Artest.  (Read 9400 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Lakers are seriously looking to acquire Ron Artest.
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »
Apparently, the Lakers contacted Geoff Petrie this past week inquiring about a trade for Ron Artest. Their offer would be Lamar Odom. But Odom has one year left on his contract at $14,559,000. Artest opted to take his last year with Sacramento at $8,450,000. So the rumor is (Petrie is not talking) that Geoff will insist the Lakers take on Kenny Thomas' two year contract with over $18 mill still to be paid out.

From the Sacramento Bee:

According to a league source, the Lakers already have contacted the Kings regarding Artest and are believed to be offering forward Lamar Odom. As of Tuesday evening, the Kings had not returned the call. They are expected to insist on forward Kenny Thomas and his $18 million of remaining salary (over two seasons) being included in that potential trade. Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie declined comment on whether the Lakers had called.

Funny how the worm turns.

But in all truthfulness, Petrie would have much to explain here in SacTown if he made a trade to help out the Lakers. Chris Webber was in town, at his restaurant to help the Kings with their public signing of their three draft picks this year, and was interviewed this morning on the local sports radio show. His take is that teams should never make trades with teams in their own division because those players traded always have their best games against their former teams. That goes for Odom as well, but Artest is semi-bi-polar. His highs are VERY high.

BTW, he was asked about the game six, 2002 playoff game. He refused to say anything about the officiating until the facts prove the rumors to be true, but promised to say something if and when they are confirmed. He also felt the Kings should have won game seven anyway. He would have liked the Kings to keep that team together for another year, instead of trading him away, because he essentially felt that the Mavericks were the Kings' b*tches and would not have gone to the finals the next year if the Kings had stood in their way with everyone still together.

He also said <this is somewhat odd, I should think> that he still hangs out with most of his teammates from the Kings - he sees them regularly and even travels with them. He went to Slovenia with Scot Pollard at the behest of Vlade a year or two ago. I know players often become friendly off the court, but that team was disbanded a few years ago and several are retired. But even recluse Doug Christie looks them up when he can. Chris is hosting an event this coming weekend to help poor neighborhoods in the area and Vlade and Bobby Jackson are coming to it, along with a ton of current NBA players, including Paul Pierce.

And, um.....he still hates the Lakers. But not to be too upsetting, he hates the Celtics more, being from Detroit.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

Re: Lakers are seriously looking to acquire Ron Artest.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »
Ah Kenny Thomas, even if chris webber was terrible, the sixers got rid of you so it was an awesome deal

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:12:55 AM »
Ah Kenny Thomas, even if chris webber was terrible, the sixers got rid of you so it was an awesome deal

From my perspective, it was an aw[ful]some deal as well.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:18:34 AM »

As a sixer fan (don't know if you are too) i loved the trade PURELY for cap purposes, as webbers deal was shorter than the ones traded away...i wasn't delusional enough to think he was the right guy to go with iverson (low post billy LOW POST, not any post)...but maybe it hastened the iverson trade which hastened billy kings departure, so all things are good.

It feels good to have a GM who seems to know what he's doing.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »

As a sixer fan (don't know if you are too) i loved the trade PURELY for cap purposes, as webbers deal was shorter than the ones traded away...i wasn't delusional enough to think he was the right guy to go with iverson (low post billy LOW POST, not any post)...but maybe it hastened the iverson trade which hastened billy kings departure, so all things are good.

It feels good to have a GM who seems to know what he's doing.

Normally, so do I. But Petrie took on a long term albatross with that trade and Webber was a better fit in Adelman's arsonal then he ever was going to be playing with Iverson.

And I am a Kings' fan, though I am originally from the Philly area. I am one East Coaster who has no desire to return.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »
I'd like to hear how trading Lamar Odom, a player who is more versatile and very much apart of the good Laker chemistry as Derek Fisher, for Ron Artest is helping the Lakers out.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »
Lamar Odom is a 3rd banana and you really can't start a front court of Odom, Gasol and Andrew Bynum....Odom isn't as good defensively at the 3 spot as ron artest, and for someone who care so mcuh about the concept of 'playing hard' - odom vanishes at many inopportune times seemingly including during the playoffs.

odom is disposable with the return of bynum and the lakers need a defensive upgrade at the 3.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 11:41:23 AM »
I'd like to hear how trading Lamar Odom, a player who is more versatile and very much apart of the good Laker chemistry as Derek Fisher, for Ron Artest is helping the Lakers out.

He would make Kobe Bryant look like a sensible, quasi-perverted family man, in comparison.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 11:45:31 AM »
My distant psychological evaluations of ron artest (and rasheed wallace) are that both need some serious medication and should start with various ADHD treatments

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 11:56:52 AM »
He would make Kobe Bryant look like a sensible, quasi-perverted family man, in comparison.

Dirty?  JoMal, did you perhaps take your coffee regular this morning?

My distant psychological evaluations of ron artest (and rasheed wallace) are that both need some serious medication and should start with various ADHD treatments

Welcome to the club.

So are you guys telling me I was the ONLY guy duped by Kenny Thomas 14 point, 10 rebound season he had back in 03-04??  I drafted that bum in like the 6th round of my fantasy draft that 04 summer. >:(
Oh wait . . . I forgot Billy King was duped, too.  So, have the spontaneous feelings of euphoria when you realize at long last Billy King is GONE dissipated for you Sixers fans, yet?!? 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 12:01:29 PM »
Not really, cause the whole elton brand thing is just something fans feel billy king never could have accomplished...so the euphoria over getting one of the best PFs in the game leads to stefanski appreciation which leads to glee that king is gone (but god willing the knicks will hire him)

Many MANY sixer fans were duped by kenny thomas 14/10 in 03-04 and thought that billy king (bidding against himself as usual) signed KT to a good contract, i wasn't one of them.

There are still sixer fans who don't think Willie Greens contract sucks and that he is better than an nba 8th man dime a dozen fungible player :)

I'm in the minority who would rather have signed john salmons (at the time)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 12:44:34 PM »
I hope the Lakers have nothing to do with Ron Ron.  I think it would be a big mistake to bring him into the mix.  IMO, after the Celtic beat down, if you told me the Lakers were adding an athletic, defensive minded SG/SF player who can hit the occasional 3 PLUS the Lakers also got a true 7 foot center who can put up 13/10 and bang in the paint as well as block shots and has no interest in 15 foot jumpshoots I would be happy and call it day.

IMO the Lakers don't need to make one SINGLE personnel move, all they need to do is come back healthy and the championship is theirs to lose.  Unfortunately it looks like Turiaf might be gone and the knee-jerkers are ready to ship Odom off.  Odom is going to be the 3rd option at BEST, most likely he will be the 4th option and probably the 2nd/3rd option with the SECOND unit.  If Buss is willing to spend bucks then keep the team together for another 3 years.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »
Turiaf is only gone if Buss goes cheap and makes a financial decision, which i think is a mistake because turaif is a vital bench piece and stepped in admirable when bynum went down before gasol showed up.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 12:46:08 PM »
John Salmons has been a nice pick up by the Kings, though he was not thought of all that highly by anyone at the time of his signing.

Kenny Thomas has been the gift that keeps on giving. His endless contract is about the only thing anyone ever mentions about him. That and how to get rid of it. If you ask me, any deal for Artest that the Kings' insist must include Thomas is a trade-killer.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 12:49:48 PM »
The John Salmons preference was purely over willie green, if the sixers had to choose one to give a contract to, but then god told salmons to sign with the kings