15 (68.2%)
Philaphan
3 (13.6%)
Sixers.com
0 (0%)
Other
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Roll call (and Pixar nonsense)  (Read 23945 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Roll call
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
Johnny... did you see Hellboy II yet? I'm going to go see it tomorrow afternoon and am wondering what your thoughts are. Also, I just got Batman Begins on blu-ray and it included the first 6 minutes of DK... that film looks awesome.

Since JBS hasn't answered yet, I will say that I saw HB II on Saturday and Journey to the Center of the Earth on Friday (one movie for the kids, one for me), and sad to say I had a better time at the movies on Friday.  Journey would be very cool to see in the digital 3-D (I saw it in 2-D and my wife and kids were still jumping out of their seats) as a no thought involved, popcorn action flick.  HB II disapointed compared to the original, which I loved, some very good parts, some not so much.  Definitely looking ahead to the Dark Knight this weekend.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Roll call (and Pixar nonsense)
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2008, 12:44:02 PM »
I saw HBII yesterday and I liked it. As a fan of Mike Mignola... I thought the story was really point on like the comic books and when combined with Del Toro's insane imagery, well.... I dug it. That said, I am beyond hype for the Dark Knight. I will be leaving for a music festival later this week so I won't be able to catch The Dark Knight until I come back next week. Oh well, hopefully I won't have to deal with a large crowd.

Anyone else have blu-ray on this board? The "Action In" commentary on Batman Begins is insanely entertaining.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2008, 12:46:14 PM »
Sorry buys...CRAZY busy at work. Haven't seen HBII yet, but I hope to see it this week/weekend. Everyone I know who's seen it has said positive things so I'm psyched!

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2008, 12:47:15 PM »
And my Dark Knight excitement level is off the charts...maybe I'll double feature those two and then go pass out

jemagee

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2008, 12:48:53 PM »
I saw HBII yesterday and I liked it. As a fan of Mike Mignola... I thought the story was really point on like the comic books and when combined with Del Toro's insane imagery, well.... I dug it. That said, I am beyond hype for the Dark Knight. I will be leaving for a music festival later this week so I won't be able to catch The Dark Knight until I come back next week. Oh well, hopefully I won't have to deal with a large crowd.

Anyone else have blu-ray on this board? The "Action In" commentary on Batman Begins is insanely entertaining.

I like the blu-ray clarity, but i've never really been a commentary guy, I like the movies and watching em over and over, but all the extras never really got me...so i can't justify the expense yet.

Which remeinds me, gotta set up netflix queue to get entropy series now that key to time is finished.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2008, 01:02:23 PM »
I like the blu-ray clarity, but i've never really been a commentary guy, I like the movies and watching em over and over, but all the extras never really got me...so i can't justify the expense yet.

The visual clarity of blu-ray is nice but that can sometimes be rivaled by an upscaling DVD player. The real gem of blu-ray is the lossless audio. Movies that I have always thought were slightly above average (Die Hard comes to mind) are suddenly some of the best movies to watch.

Offline Stanford

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2008, 08:26:10 PM »
Hey internets  :)

Name:  Brook Lopez
Names at other boards:  Stanford
Original home:  New Scotland AKA nouvelle ecosse AKA Nova Scotia, Canada
Current home:  Toronto, Ontario
Other Boards: RealGM
Other: I like the food network and jazz music. Play guitar. In my first semester of radio broadcasting here in Toronto, so good luck to me in that. Oh, and I hate people who argue about movies; so gay.

I need to post pad to get my post count up. I hide behind it on realgm.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2008, 08:47:03 PM »
Can we trade you for Robin?

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2008, 09:35:53 PM »
I was thinking Felipe.

jemagee

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2008, 09:37:40 PM »
What about Slater?

Offline Stanford

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:52 PM »
You guy's can have Robin and Mario, Ill take Jennifer

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »
You guy's can have Robin and Mario, Ill take Jennifer
;D Quality response.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Roll call
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2008, 12:55:55 PM »
This is my Pixar rankings - they are all good especially the top 4 or 5:

1.  Incredibles
2.  Toy Story
3.  Toy Story 2
4.  Wall-E
5.  Monster's Inc.
6.  Cars
7.  Bug's Life
8.  Ratatouille
9.  Finding Nemo

I've got 4 kids and I'm forced to see these movies and every so often I get surprised by a good quality film for both kids and adults.

1.  Toy Story - Awesome, great movie, did not find my attention wandering off.
2.  Finding Nemo - Very close to number 1, terrific movie, can't say enough good things about it.
3.  Toy Story 2 - Amazed this follow up was able to hold a candle to the original.
4.  Bug's Life - Very funny, so many funny lines.
5.  Ratatouille - Very enjoyable, got a little bored with the goofey 2nd banana cook kid.
6.  Wall-E - Very good movie but it had a few "dead" spots.
7.  Monster's Inc. - Eh...too cutesy for my taste.
8.  Cars - Too cutesy and predictable, then again it is a kids movie.
9.  Incredibles - Booooooring.....

The top 5 I would, and have, see multiple times.  Not sure about Wall-E.  7 through 9 I don't have an interest in seeing again.  Monster's Inc is borderline about seeing again, it was ok in the theater but I have no desire to see it again.

Hellboy II was a disappointment for me, I have seen Pan's Laber??? (FYI I'm a crappy speller) and the Orphanage Movie by the same director.  Those two movies probably had 1/10th the budget of HBII but they were much more enjoyable if you're into "dark" movies.  I think the problem I had with HBII was my expectations were too high considering the subject and the director.

I'm very hyped about DK, hope it lives upto expectations.  So far with super hero movies (Ironman, Hulk and HBII), only Ironman has lived upto expectations.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »
Someone please tell me what it is about Finding Nemo, cause I just hate it, i find it dull and sleep inducing and ellen degeneres fish make me want to vomit...sure 'fish are friends not food" and the irritating 'mine' birds are cute, and trust me, I'm a HUGE fan of the 'father / son' bonding type of thing that finding nemo talks about, but I just don't get it, seriously, i struggled to sit through it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »
Someone please tell me what it is about Finding Nemo, cause I just hate it, i find it dull and sleep inducing and ellen degeneres fish make me want to vomit...sure 'fish are friends not food" and the irritating 'mine' birds are cute, and trust me, I'm a HUGE fan of the 'father / son' bonding type of thing that finding nemo talks about, but I just don't get it, seriously, i struggled to sit through it.

The "Degeneres fish" is what made the movie for me, loved the fish in the dentist tank as well.  Mount Wanahockalugee!!!!!!  I actually found Nemo cutesie annoying.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"