Do you think he Sixers should trade Iguodala

Yes
0 (0%)
No
2 (20%)
Only if we are blown away
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Do you think he Sixers should trade Iguodala  (Read 9448 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Do you think he Sixers should trade Iguodala
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:02:41 PM »
Before every thread turns into a trade Iguodala debate, here is one place to debate your opinion.

Personally, I think Iguodala did an admirable job being the teams leader (along with Miller), and even if he is not the most gifted scorer, I see his value to this team as at least as much as his stats suggest- if not more.

I admit I may be biased after rooting for him and the team these last four years, but I put Iguodala a step above than names being thrown around like Gordon and Richardson. 

I really can picture Iguodala as ultimately being a key part of a championship team- especially since he can develop into the ultimate glue guy now that some of the scoring burden will be lifted with the arrival of Brand and the emergence of Thad.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you think he Sixers should trade Iguodala
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »
No.  Just no.  He's one of a very very few guys who can score, rebound, assist, steal, and play overall great defense.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:59 PM »
I'm AGAINST the idea of trading Andre Iguodala unless is for someone like Michael Redd, Ben Gordon, or Rip Hamilton. Outside of those 3, I wouldn't move him. Do I believe those 3 players are better overall than Iguodala? No to two of them and yes to Hamilton. I think Redd and Gordon are inferior in some aspects of their game but I think their shooting and scoring from the perimeter (not just the 3 ball) could help Brand down in the post. If teams double Brand, we need to be able to punish them by hitting open jumpers outside of 18 feet.

Right now, I have concerns about Miller, Thad, and Dre hitting those jumpers on a night to night basis however, I think it's very possible that Dre and Thad both improve.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:14:43 PM »
No.  Just no.  He's one of a very very few guys who can score, rebound, assist, steal, and play overall great defense.

Except in the playoffs when it mattered. :-)

39MPG, .333 FG%, .143% 3FG%, 13.2 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 5.0 APG, 2.17 SPG, and a 4.33 Turnover Ratio.

Let's just hope we NEVER have to see Tayshaun Prince in the playoffs ever again.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:16:07 PM »
Remember, Iggy will be moving to the 2.  He'll be able to score much easier from that spot and not having to be the focal point of the offense.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:46 PM »
Remember, Iggy will be moving to the 2.  He'll be able to score much easier from that spot and not having to be the focal point of the offense.

Agreed. I think he was somewhat unfairly thrust from being a distant #3 behind Iverson and Webber to a #1. He did a solid job in that role and so I'm curious to see what happens to his game when he's a legit #2 and put next to a legitimate post-presence who hopefully has two legs.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:30:37 PM »

39MPG, .333 FG%, .143% 3FG%, 13.2 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 5.0 APG, 2.17 SPG, and a 4.33 Turnover Ratio.

Let's just hope we NEVER have to see Tayshaun Prince in the playoffs ever again.

Would you call Anthony a good scorer?  He hasn't done any better in the playoffs.  And at least those RPG, APG, and SPG numbers are still good.  Not to mention he was getting double teamed whenever he even got close to getting by Prince.  Getting Brand and another year of Thad developing should take a lot of that pressure off him.  Also, Iggy was good the first time he was in the playoffs.

And I STILL don't understand your obsession with Redd and Hamilton as 3 point shooters.  Go look at their career 3% and by year.  Gordon at least hits the 3 consistently.  Redd is average and nowhere near Iggy's level in any other category, and is one of the most overrated players in the league.  Hamilton has had 2 good 3% seasons, has never averaged even 1 three made per game, and has a career 3% below the average.  Seriously, if you want to trade him for a 3 shooter, fine.  But make sure you're getting a guy who can actually hit the goddamned 3.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:31:46 PM »
]

Did someone just try to spill my kool-aid?

Luckily I see Princ having his hands full trying to slow down Thad.  Iguodala will be a damn good third option at SG once Thad starts to really emerge in the next 2-3 years. 

Iguodala will be free to score against the lesser perimeter defender, and if a double team presents itself he will be passing to Brand and Thad instead of Evans and Green.  Maybe that will change his stats and outcome a bit?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:14 PM »
Ducky... I don't have an obsession with just 3 point shooters but guys that I perceive to be better shooters (18 feet and out) than Iguodala. I understand that you don't like these guys but they're better than Iguodala in that aspect. I love what Iguodala does on the floor in all other aspects but his scoring and shooting were streaky this past season and that concerns me a bit. Given that we have a solid group of defenders on this team, I am willing to take a step back in that department for the sake of strengthening out half-court offense. That said, I believe my list is at 3 so it's not as though I'm screaming for Iguodala to be moved at any cost.

Also... as a side note... I really don't like the idea of paying Iguodala anything more than $55MIL over 5 years. I think that's even a bit much when you look at the contracts of players that he should be compared to but that's a separate issue.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:48:43 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

Offline Mozy-76er Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »
I say keep him - Iggy is a perfect fit this team - great D, athletic, good leadership, good all around play.  His penetrating is great and his shooting is so-so.  He might get to be a better shooter in time.  If we trade him for a shooter that shooter better play real good D as well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:48:36 PM by Mozy-76er Fan »

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »
Ducky... I don't have an obsession with just 3 point shooters but guys that I perceive to be better shooters (18 feet and out) than Iguodala. I understand that you don't like these guys but they're better than Iguodala in that aspect. I love what Iguodala does on the floor in all other aspects but his scoring and shooting were streaky this past season and that concerns me a bit. Given that we have a solid group of defenders on this team, I am willing to take a step back in that department for the sake of strengthening out half-court offense. That said, I believe my list is at 3 so it's not as though I'm screaming for Iguodala to be moved at any cost.

Also... as a side note... I really don't like the idea of paying Iguodala anything more than $55MIL over 5 years. I think that's even a bit much when you look at the contracts of players that he should be compared to but that's a separate issue.

It's a faulty three, but I think that's well detailed at this point.  And really, I don't see the difference between a guy with a consistent 18 footer and a guy with a consistent 20 footer.  Any further out and you're pretty much at 3 pt range anyway.  And I don't hate these guys (Gordon/Richardson/Redd), I just don't think they're nearly as good all-around and making a trade to get an extra 4 feet of range makes absoutely no sense to me.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 10:56:37 PM »
I'm curious, from how many feet and in would say that Iguodala's jumper is consistent?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 11:00:31 PM »
I just don't think they're nearly as good all-around and making a trade to get an extra 4 feet of range makes absoutely no sense to me.

Shooting % on shots between 17' and 20':
Ben Gordon: 42.9%
Michael Redd: 42.7%
Andre Iguodala: 39.8%
Willie Green: 36.6%
Louis Williams: 32.7%

This isn't just about "adding another 4 feet of range".  This notion that Iguodala, Green and Williams are good midrange shooters is just factually incorrect (to use your term).  Iguodala's passable.  Green and Williams are actually quite mediocre.  If these are the good shooters, floor spacing in the half court set is going to be a problem.  Just as it was last year. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »
I just don't think they're nearly as good all-around and making a trade to get an extra 4 feet of range makes absoutely no sense to me.

Shooting % on shots between 17' and 20':
Ben Gordon: 42.9%
Michael Redd: 42.7%
Andre Iguodala: 39.8%
Willie Green: 36.6%
Louis Williams: 32.7%

This isn't just about "adding another 4 feet of range".  This notion that Iguodala, Green and Williams are good midrange shooters is just factually incorrect (to use your term).  Iguodala's passable.  Green and Williams are actually quite mediocre.  If these are the good shooters, floor spacing in the half court set is going to be a problem.  Just as it was last year. 

Just curious, where did you get those numbers?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 11:06:45 PM »
Willie Green - designated shooter off the bench.  What more do we need?  ;D

One source of floor-spacing type shooting we all may be over-looking is Jason Smith.  He can be a very nice preimeter oriented big man off the bench and showed a little three point range in a few games last year.  If he works on his shooting this summer he might be able to nail the three with decent consistency.