Do you think he Sixers should trade Iguodala

Yes
0 (0%)
No
2 (20%)
Only if we are blown away
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Do you think he Sixers should trade Iguodala  (Read 9450 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Do you think he Sixers should trade Iguodala
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »
Just curious, where did you get those numbers?

Synergy Sports Tech, which a scouting service I get access to through my work with draftexpress.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 11:46:36 PM »
Ah, well, I'm not a big fan of isolated numbers.  Showing me numbers for one year, for 5 players, really isn't going to show me that those guys are or aren't good shooters or even what that stat even means.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 11:49:24 PM »
No doubt shooting is a weakness next year.  Just one of many reasons why next year they won't be ready to contend (mostly Thad needs a few years to start to tap into his full potential.)

Fortunately, Thad, Iguodala, Lou, Smith, Speight can all shoot and are 20-24.  I expect their jumpers to improve- even if none become truly automatic.  We can add a great shooter or two next summer, and worst case can always move Iguodala or Miller in the next 1-2 years if it looks like Shooting will be the Achille's Heel- Ouch, not the best reference...

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 11:58:48 PM »
Ah, well, I'm not a big fan of isolated numbers.  Showing me numbers for one year, for 5 players, really isn't going to show me that those guys are or aren't good shooters or even what that stat even means.
Yet you've been using 3pt% all night.

:shrugs:

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »
Yet you've been using 3pt% all night.

:shrugs:

I can look at 3pt% and 3pa and 3pm by year, by career, and for all players, and it's very clear exactly what it's showing.  Showing me what percentage of bad jumpers 5 guys hit for one year without being able to even see attempts/makes shows me very very little.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 12:11:58 AM »
I can look at 3pt% and 3pa and 3pm by year, by career, and for all players, and it's very clear exactly what it's showing.  Showing me what percentage of bad jumpers 5 guys hit for one year without being able to even see attempts/makes shows me very very little
willie Green was 70-191
Louis Williams 56-171
Andre Iguodala 153-384

I do have attempts/makes.  I also don't have "5 guys", but the entire league.  I listed 5 guys because they were being discussed.

(I meant between 17 feet and the 3 pt line, not 20 feet).

seriously, 17-3pt range shots is the same concept of 3pt%.  They both describe their percentage on shots from a certain distance.  They don't display the context of game, shot clock, or whether it's contested.  It's not any more ambiguous than 3 pt statistics.

Really, it was quite clear watching the trio that they were not anything to write home about from midrange, IMO.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »
I can look at 3pt% and 3pa and 3pm by year, by career, and for all players, and it's very clear exactly what it's showing.  Showing me what percentage of bad jumpers 5 guys hit for one year without being able to even see attempts/makes shows me very very little
willie Green was 70-191
Louis Williams 56-171
Andre Iguodala 153-384

I do have attempts/makes.  I also don't have "5 guys", but the entire league.  I listed 5 guys because they were being discussed.

(I meant between 17 feet and the 3 pt line, not 20 feet).

seriously, 17-3pt range shots is the same concept of 3pt%.  They both describe their percentage on shots from a certain distance.  They don't display the context of game, shot clock, or whether it's contested.  It's not any more ambiguous than 3 pt statistics.

Really, it was quite clear watching the trio that they were not anything to write home about from midrange, IMO.

I know you have everybody, I was stating that I don't.  And really, one year of a stat can be extremely misleading.  Maggette shot 38.4% from 3 this past year.  He only had one other season over 34%.  And what was the average % for that 17+ range?

Btw, I'm not gonna argue that they were great from midrange because they really weren't.  But I ask once again: is 2% really worth the difference between those guys and Iguodala on defense?  Is the 3-5% difference from 3 between Redd and Iguodala enough to offset the defensive, rebounding, and assist contributions?  Hell, is the 7-8% difference between Iggy and Gordon enough?  IMO, the answers to all those questions are a big "no fucking way".  Iguodala scores just as much as the other guys (they were all around 20 ppg), and brings a helluva lot more to the table than either of those guys.  We'll just hafta disagree that having a 3 point shooter is more important than having a guy who will score just as much (but not from 3) but brings a lot more to the table.  And to preempt the "but he got killed in the playoffs last year, obviously he's not what we need" argument, it was a 6 game sample in which he was going up a guy taller and longer than him and still had help defense coming against him.  Get guys in there that the defense has to respect and I fully believe the numbers go way up.

jemagee

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »
No.  Just no.  He's one of a very very few guys who can score, rebound, assist, steal, and play overall great defense.

Except in the playoffs when it mattered. :-)

39MPG, .333 FG%, .143% 3FG%, 13.2 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 5.0 APG, 2.17 SPG, and a 4.33 Turnover Ratio.

Let's just hope we NEVER have to see Tayshaun Prince in the playoffs ever again.

6 games versus how many regular season games?  I can see how we should define andre iguodala by 6 games

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 08:54:02 AM »
I disagree

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:25 AM »
No.  Just no.  He's one of a very very few guys who can score, rebound, assist, steal, and play overall great defense.

Except in the playoffs when it mattered. :-)

39MPG, .333 FG%, .143% 3FG%, 13.2 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 5.0 APG, 2.17 SPG, and a 4.33 Turnover Ratio.

Let's just hope we NEVER have to see Tayshaun Prince in the playoffs ever again.

6 games versus how many regular season games?  I can see how we should define andre iguodala by 6 games

I was jabbing you Iguodala lovers, that's all. If he has another post-season in '09 like he did this past year, well... I think we should all expect an upcoming romance with Madonna.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »
There are so many people calling for us to trade Andre, but I think everyone is forgetting one important thing.

Andre has to agree to the S/T so it's not as simple as everyone makes it out to be.  We can't just look at players around the league and say "hey, we can get so and so for him, so lets pull the trigger".  First we have to get his approval to go to whatever team (and that may not be easy depending on the team) then you have to work out the contract and then you have to agree on compensation.

Rarely do you see S/T deals where each team gets equal talent.  I mean, it can happen, but that's usually not how they go down. 

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »

I was jabbing you Iguodala lovers, that's all. If he has another post-season in '09 like he did this past year, well... I think we should all expect an upcoming romance with Madonna.

A yankee and an Iguodala jab. Well played sir. Well played.

jemagee

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 08:45:23 PM »
Except that the jab doesn't work, A-Rod is still playing well - it's not his fault the yankees suck...i wonder, does hank make yankee fans miss george?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 08:49:33 PM »
Except that the jab doesn't work, A-Rod is still playing well - it's not his fault the yankees suck...i wonder, does hank make yankee fans miss george?

Wait... when has A-Rod played well in October? That's the reference. You see, this A-Rod guy... no goodski in the post-season. Well, he's no good by the standards that he sets between April and September.

If he has another late April like he had this season, I'm saying Iguodala blows in the post-season just like that Rodriguez chap.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:51:17 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

jemagee

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 08:53:05 PM »
You're one of those people who thinks derek jeter is great and not possibly the most over rated player in the history of baseball (or at least since babe ruth?)