Author Topic: dabods, Rick. Looks like Wolves and Sixers are on the verge of a trade.  (Read 12732 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
The Sixers offer was still significantly less than the Warriors offer, so I don't think it was all about the money.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
It was only partly about money.  Brand also wants to do something with his career, and the Clippers are farther away, and in the Western Conference.  Golden State is an even poorer destination for Brand.

His best chance to contend and go deep in the playoffs was with Philly, who had room under the cap and desperately need a player of his abilities.

The Sixers now do need that outside shooter, now that they have a legitimate inside threat.  Willie and Lou better be practicing their 3 balls this summer. I suspect that the Sixers will want to do something else this offseason to add that shooter.

If they can add outside shooting to Igoudala's slashing and Brand commanding a double-team in the post, they should be competitive with the best teams in the East. Adding Brand without giving up a major piece is a huge move, and proves that Ed Stefanski was a very good choice to replace Billy King.

I have no doubt that the Sixers will resign Iggy and Lou. Now that they have a deal with Brand they can go over the cap if necessary to resign them.

I'm waiting for the conspiracy theorists to say the NBA was involved in this, trying to get Phila. back in the mix with Boston and LA. 

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email

And the money would be about the same in LA as in Philly.

I don't know Lurker, 82 Million verse 65 Million, that's a $17 million difference which I think is significant. 

Thing is, its just amazing how the Clips keep doing themselves in over and over like this.  If you even had an iota's doubt about Brand you make sure you leave yourself the flexibility so that if Brand leaves, nobody can use money as the excuse.  Why sign Davis without Brand??  The Clippers are such a hopeless and helpless franchise.

If they believed Falk's schtick about "bring in a superstar to contend" rather than operating under the religion of all Pro-players/Agents "Show me the money".  There is just nothing to be said.  Clippers, YOU. ARE. LOSERS!!   

BTW, jemagee, I don't begrudge anybody going out for more money.  Never have, never will.  Would do it myself, even.  I will call it like I see it, though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:55:16 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I was referring to the 'cycle of greed' reference to maggette actually...what abbot doesn't seem to mention is that Maggette probably gets more minutes in golden state than he would on a spurs or other title contending team, maybe he wants to play more?

I know that a big pay day doesn't mean you will enjoy your job more, and i nkow money can't buy happines, but it usually can buy you the things that make you happy

Magette doesn't want more minutes.  He wants to be a super star, head guy on the team he is on.  He's been that way in LA and he will be that way in Golden State.  The problem is, as usual, he is not the player he thinks he is in his head.  He lacks a lot of what makes up an all-star player and the main leader on a squad.  For example he only plays hard when he feels like he has something to prove (ie when he is guarding Kobe or Lebron or someone like Bruce Bowen is guarding him).  He does not always play hard.  His attitude also doesn't help him at all.  So it's not so much about minutes as it is if he goes to say San Antonio, he WILL NOT be the man.  Any team that is a contender is not going to make him THE GUY.  They would be stupid to do so.  Now that Baron Davis is gone Golden State will make him a major focus.  I knew he was going to leave the Clippers but once the BD rumor popped up it was a no brainer as his pecking order status would have dropped a notch....and rightfully so.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:16:47 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

I don't know corey maggette or elton brand well enough personally to comment on their motivations and psychologies as others here seem to so I can't comment any more

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't know corey maggette or elton brand well enough personally to comment on their motivations and psychologies as others here seem to so I can't comment any more

::)

Some of us actually have heard thousand of interviews, millions of quotes, and been to games at Staples center to actually speak about this.  Imagine that!

You are telling me that after 5-6-7 years of a player playing on a local team you don't get to know how they are in terms of basketball?

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Some of us actually have heard thousand of interviews, millions of quotes, and been to games at Staples center to actually speak about this.  Imagine that!

You are telling me that after 5-6-7 years of a player playing on a local team you don't get to know how they are in terms of basketball?

You've heard THOUSANDS of interviews and MILLIONS of quotes from Corey Maggette? Those are big numbers little buddy. Mrs. Flenderton should have taught you those in homeroom.

Sorry dude, but there's no way anyone can write an accurate psych profile on ANY player from hearing what they say to a reporter or watching them play a game of basketball--even if they had heard THOUSANDS of interviews and MILLIONS of quotes . . . ROTFL!

95 percent of the time, players repeat the same cliches, and when they don't do that, they tell the reporter what they think the reporter wants to hear, or what they want him to hear.

Now if you've had a sit-down with your man Corey and he's tearfully born his soul to you . . . well, I take all this back.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:13:23 AM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

You've heard THOUSANDS of interviews and MILLIONS of quotes from Corey Maggette? Those are big numbers little buddy. Mrs. Flenderton should have taught you those in homeroom.

Sorry dude, but there's no way anyone can write an accurate psych profile on ANY player from hearing what they say to a reporter or watching them play a game of basketball--even if they had heard THOUSANDS of interviews and MILLIONS of quotes . . . ROTFL!

95 percent of the time, players repeat the same cliches, and when they don't do that, they tell the reporter what they think the reporter wants to hear, or what they want him to hear.

Now if you've had a sit-down with your man Corey and he's tearfully born his soul to you . . . well, I take all this back.
:D
Ted FWIW, and you know WIW, Elton Brand went on the local LA radio station yesteday and gave reasons why he did not resign with the Clips.  Just for giggles i would like to have heard the script he read, I know there was some blabber about "respect".
For the love of goodness, what has pro sports become when Brand can be offered 65 million bucks for 5-6 years and feel "disrespected".  Not saying the Clips did or did not screw up, they probably did.
Just sayin, 65 million bucks.....

jemagee

Disrespect is realtive - in a league where Bogut gets 72.5 million for the next five years, is elton brand only worth 65 million?  He may not be as flashy or as noisey and he may not have been surrounded with as much talent, but he compares favorably as one of the best power forwards in the game today when healthy...and there's no indication from him or the doctors that he isn't 100% healed...what exactly has andrew bogut accomplished except having the good fortune to be drafted by a team that seems to make GMs a bit stupider.

Additionally, earlier in this thread Corey Maggete was metaphorically bitchslapped (by people who know him very well no less) for taking money over a chance to win a title.

Yet here people are insulting Elton Brand for going to a team, and possibly taking less money than offered by the clips and DEFINITELY by the Warriors that has a better chance of winning a title...yes, the sixers have a better chance of winning a title cause to win a title you got to GET to the finals, and the east is top heavy with an aging celtics team a pistons team seemingly on the verge of imploding a cavs team that has lebron and some guys.  Maybe the magic are ascendant, but maybe they could use a real PF, maybe the bulls get it together under del negro, but who knows, maybe jermaine o'neal gets healthy and he and bosh become a monster combo...the east is not as good top to bottom as the west.  Heck adding davis and keeping brand probably doesn't make the clips anything more than a six seed in the west...adding brand to the sixers and people are talking top 2/3 in the conference (record wise)....plus there's a heck of a lot more developing youth with upside on the sixers than on the clippers.

Not to mention, Elton Brand is from the east coast, and as someone who grew up in philadelphia and has lived in santa barbara for almost 14 years now, trust me, there's a big difference, and east coast people MISS the east coast, i can't wait to move back there (hoping options become valuable one day)...and the same applies to other players, andre miller has said he's an west coast guy, and a lot of us sixers fans assume he might leave, for less money, after next season to go back to california (but maybe now that brand is here he can be persuaded to stay for a 2 year deal, since the sixers have no other options on the roster right now)

The only person who truly knows elton brands motivation (or corey maggettes for that matters) is elton brand, and any one who posts on an internet message board who claims to have insight to the psychology of a professional athlete without ever having a conversation with them for more than 5 minutes, it's just not right.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

That's really funny Ted.  I don't know if it's worth rolling on the floor over but hay, if you take everything someone says that literal maybe it is.  Obviously his response was exaggerated and sarcastic so I too made mine exagerrated and sarcastic.  I was not playing Sigmund Freud by saying that Corey Magette is not an all-star or a leader.  Though by the two respones I've seen from you two one would assume I was saying Corey Magette can't be a leader because of the lack of love his mother gave him as a child  ::) ::) ::) ::)  There is a HUGE difference between discussing how a person acts when it comes to their role on a basketball team and how they view their own talents and actually doing a psych evalution.  I guess when you attend Brigham Young Sports Journalism and Psychology are one in the same.

I believe you've made a number of comments about player tendencies and how they act on the court/in the locker room.  God knows how many pysch profiles have been done on Kobe Bryant around here.  Why is this any different?  Why have you not got on JoMaL for doing psych evalution of Kobe Bryant?  Ron Artest?  Heck even Reality's questioning of  Greg Popavich's mental well being!!  You are telling me that a statement like 'Corey Magette only plays hard when he feels he has something to prove' is something you can't pick up from watching Clipper games?   Why does someone need to "tearfully born their soul" to a person one on one for them to see their body language on the court when they are not the focus of the offense?  It only takes a few quotes to the media complaining to them that you are not starting (mind you he was injured still and not at even 80%) to understand how he views himself.   You toss in the times he was in the game trying to force the issue, mind you he was still injured, and you can see that.  It is no different then when someone comments on Kobe Bryant's body language after Sasha takes an ill advised shot in crunch time.    

I guess here in LA  we are not use to our players of local teams actually getting teary eyed while blubbering like a woman similar to AK-47.  So forgive us for having to pick up on things before they get to that point.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:12:42 AM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Didn't Brand try to sign with the Heat a few years back, but the Clippers matched the offer? Sounds like he has been trying to leave for some time.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

Didn't Brand try to sign with the Heat a few years back, but the Clippers matched the offer? Sounds like he has been trying to leave for some time.

Yes, same year they matched on maggette I believe, was pretty shocking considering the clippers history of just letting people walk...people thought it signalled a shift in the way the clippers ran things, and it did for a little bit, but now they are back to really cheap but really prorfitable again it seems...go sterling, you got extra money for your 'ladies' of the evening

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email

I believe you've made a number of comments about player tendencies and how they act on the court/in the locker room.  God knows how many pysch profiles have been done on Kobe Bryant around here.  Why is this any different?  Why have you not got on JoMaL for doing psych evalution of Kobe Bryant?  Ron Artest?  Heck even Greg Popavich!!  You are telling me that a statement like 'Corey Magette only plays hard when he feels he has something to prove' is something you can't pick up from watching Clipper games?   Why does someone need to "tearfully born their soul" to a person one on one for them to see their body language on the court when they are not the focus of the offense?  I guess we are not use to our players actually getting teary eyed like AK-47 out here in LA.  So forgive us for having to pick up on things before they get to that point.

My dear laddy, my 'psych' evaluations have been more revealing of YOUR insecurities then they ever were about Kobe Bryant, who is a little too transparent for serious work.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

Could you apply those evaluations to Shaquille O'neal please?  I personally consider him the biggest fraud and creep in all of the NBA and marvel that he seems to come out smelling like a rose every time the lakers break up is discussed, like his demand publicly for 90 million dollars in the middle of a training camp game is completely forgotten...does that dude know mass hypnosis or something?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

I believe you've made a number of comments about player tendencies and how they act on the court/in the locker room.  God knows how many pysch profiles have been done on Kobe Bryant around here.  Why is this any different?  Why have you not got on JoMaL for doing psych evalution of Kobe Bryant?  Ron Artest?  Heck even Greg Popavich!!  You are telling me that a statement like 'Corey Magette only plays hard when he feels he has something to prove' is something you can't pick up from watching Clipper games?   Why does someone need to "tearfully born their soul" to a person one on one for them to see their body language on the court when they are not the focus of the offense?  I guess we are not use to our players actually getting teary eyed like AK-47 out here in LA.  So forgive us for having to pick up on things before they get to that point.

My dear laddy, my 'psych' evaluations have been more revealing of YOUR insecurities then they ever were about Kobe Bryant, who is a little too transparent for serious work.

:D

Right.  Whatever you want to tell yourself to make you feel better.  Stick to the topic though Gramps.  We are still talking about BASKETBALL here.  If you would like me to open up a forum so you can continue to talk about me, I can do it.  I do love how you are now using the same crystal ball you use to peek into the Lakers lockerroom to shine some light on poor little insecure online personality westkoast LOL

What I said stands.  If anyone needs to be rode about psych evalution of players with out knowing them its YOU.  You've even taken it a step further and are trying to do it with Laker fans.  Now if that doesn't prove my point I don't know what will!!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:18:21 AM by westkoast »