Author Topic: Brand?  (Read 80665 times)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brand?
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2008, 04:11:33 PM »
That sounds ridiculous...Falk is already one of the top agents in the league...for him to get Stefanski to, in essence, trade a guy who was in the Sixers rotation by the end of last season (Carney), to get cap room to PAY his guy (Brand)...only to then turn around and thumb his nose at the Sixers to get a few more bucks out of the Clippers (who, according to the SF Chronicle, are leaning towards letting Brand go versus getting into a bidding war for the guy)...

That is NOT the way to raise your prestige level to GM's and team owners, IMO.

And before you say, "it's not about raising his profile with the GM's...its about raising his profile with the players...", this isn't the uncapped MLB (hello, Scott Boras) or the "hey, rookie!  I'll get you a $15 million signing bonus" NFL (howya' doing, Drew Rosenhaus)...this is the salary-capped world of the NBA, where rookies are capped out and what goes around comes around...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:15:10 PM by bebopdeluxe »

jemagee

« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
That is NOT the way to raise your prestige level to GM's and team owners, IMO

The most poweful agent in baseball is hated by almost every GM and owner...if your agent is hated that much, it's usually a good sign...Falk only has to impress one constituency, NBA players...i doubt he gives a rats ass what GMs and owners thing, and yes when Falk shows up with a star again like brand, they will believe his lies, just like Boras wiins almost every time (See yankees, new york "We won't sign A-Rod if he opts out"  whoopsy daisy)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »
jem:

Again...read my edit...

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »
This is David Falk not Scott Boras and I personally think there is a big difference. David made his spurs on the M Jordan bandwagon. I follow the Orangemen and I remember a talk David gave at the university (since he is a graduate) about the perverseness of agents today. I see Falk as a very stand up agent. Thats why I think this has a real chance of happening.

jemagee

« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »
jem:

Again...read my edit...

Edit shows up after my post, only so much I can do...

I still disagree with your point what goes around comes around, if you get the best players, the teams have no choice to talk to you...let's say falk pisses off the sixers and then has lebron james in 2010, if he comes to the sixers who for some reason have lots of cap room do you think the sixers say "Well he screwed us on brand, we won't talk to him about lebron"?

Teams talk to agents who have the best players, players don't care what an agent does to aa team as much as they care about maximizing their dollar earnings in the prime of their career...and you know what, it's falks god damn job,and if the sixers get taken, it's their own fault cause they should realize that falks primary (and only) motivation should be maximizing his clients contract.

And the players will love it, and even in the capped nba, it matters, and if the clippers deal goes up because of the talk with the sixers, that absolutely proves to me that it matters...agents are scum, plain and simple only one or two professions come below agents in my book, but the good ones piss off teams over and over and win almost every time, so they get the big name players and the teams have no choice but to deal with them.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »
How does that even make sense?  The Clippers are in the situation where Brand will either have to take a pay cut, or they'll have to renounce Brand, to make room for Baron.  The Sixers can't be "played" because the Clips don't have any more cap room to offer.  There's nothing left to squeeze.

Unless he's talking about playing the Sixers to increase GS's offer.

jemagee

« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »
This is David Falk not Scott Boras and I personally think there is a big difference. David made his spurs on the M Jordan bandwagon. I follow the Orangemen and I remember a talk David gave at the university (since he is a graduate) about the perverseness of agents today. I see Falk as a very stand up agent. Thats why I think this has a real chance of happening.

I don't buy the 'he gave a good talk' at a college thing, those things are scripted and he can say whatever he darn well pleases, phillies brass show up at colleges every once in a while and people post what they say and then you see how the team operates...words not deeds are what matters...agents are politicians...they tell you what you want to hear

jemagee

« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »
How does that even make sense?  The Clippers are in the situation where Brand will either have to take a pay cut, or they'll have to renounce Brand, to make room for Baron.  The Sixers can't be "played" because the Clips don't have any more cap room to offer.  There's nothing left to squeeze.

I don't know what's possible or not i'm just saying i can totally see Falk using the sixers to get brand more money and wouldn't be surprised when it happens cause it's an agents job :)

jemagee

« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:09 PM »
Hey - here's a quote i haven't seen before, from steins updated article

"The only thing I can share with you is that Calvin's contract will be traded to Minnesota tomorrow," Booth's agent, Mark Termini, told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

jemagee

« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:56 PM »
Here's some cap math

If Philadelphia can indeed manufacture a first-year salary of at least $15 million, that could exceed what can be offered by the Clippers, who must balance their obvious No. 1 priority -- retaining Brand -- with the cap space they'll need to formally sign Davis to the five-year, $65 million deal which the former Golden State point guard verbally agreed to last week.

It's possible that the Warriors, depending on where the cap is set, could still outbid both L.A. and Philadelphia for Brand thanks to Davis' defection. If next season's salary cap is announced at $59 million or thereabouts, as expected, Golden State should have the wherewithal to offer Brand a five-year deal worth just over $95 million.

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2008, 04:34:35 PM »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »
Contrary to other reports, the Clippers cannot offer Brand a sixth year in their offer, according to an NBA source who is not authorized to speak about player issues. In order for the Clippers to create enough salary cap space to land Davis the team had to renounce their rights to Brand, thus forfeiting the possibility of tacking on another year, leaving it with the hope of re-signing Brand to a maximum of five years.

this is slightly off.  If they re-sign Brand before signing Davis, with a starting salary of ca $14 million, they can make it work without renouncing his rights.  They'd be stupid if they actually renounced him before seeing if that's a possibility.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2008, 04:38:38 PM »

Unless he's trying to get the Clippers to make a trade with Memphis or another team with cap sapce to "clear" some extra space to offer Brand more (similar to what we are reportedly doing).  LA also still has the option to renounce the qualifying offers to guys like Marcus Williams and Nick Fazekas to free up a bit more space without doing a trade.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2008, 04:39:04 PM »
I can't take the reports that the Sixers are getting played seriously.  The Clippers really can't offer any more if they want to sign Davis, and if it was all about the money, Brand would be in Golden State.  Just doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of things.

jemagee

« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »
Unless it's about a sixth year...as dbdoner says above is possible, it's happened to too many teams too many times to discount the possibility the sixers are getting played, heck the clippers got played a few years ago by some dude named kobe.