Author Topic: Brand?  (Read 81355 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Brand?
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »
Does anyone believe that elton brand will get less than the entirety of the sixers available cap space though?

How strict is the rule?

If you're $1 under the cap, are you still under the cap?

We don't have any exceptions to count against us, as they'll have to have been renounced to sign brand.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »
FWIW, I was looking at Thad Young's Hollinger stats, and it had this:

2007-08 outlook: Philly's first-round pick might not make huge contributions this season, but he had as much upside as anyone in the draft beyond the first two picks. The 6-8 forward shot 41.9 percent on 3-pointers in his lone season at Georgia Tech, and combined that sweet lefty shooting stroke with top-notch athleticism. While he has to get stronger and improve his right hand, his ability to either drive for a score or hit from distance should make him a dangerous scoring threat.

Just saying.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »
My only reservation about getting Brand is that the rest of the team(aside from Miller and Sam) are really a few years from their peaks.

I honestly think that Thad, Lou, Iguodala, Sam, Smith and maybe Speights will be enough jumpshooting to effectively spread the floor.  Not nexts year, but more like 2-3 years from now.  Unfortunity, going with Brannd puts the emphasis on winning in the next 2-3 years, and I don't know if those players will have refined their jumpers enough.

Either way it will be good to add a sniper- and hopefully that need can be addressed even if the team is up against the cap.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2008, 03:47:57 PM »
My only reservation about getting Brand is that the rest of the team(aside from Miller and Sam) are really a few years from their peaks.

I honestly think that Thad, Lou, Iguodala, Sam, Smith and maybe Speights will be enough jumpshooting to effectively spread the floor.  Not nexts year, but more like 2-3 years from now.  Unfortunity, going with Brannd puts the emphasis on winning in the next 2-3 years, and I don't know if those players will have refined their jumpers enough.

Either way it will be good to add a sniper- and hopefully that need can be addressed even if the team is up against the cap.

Brand isn't going to fall apart in 2-3 years man....he's got plenty left.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2008, 03:50:38 PM »
I just went around the internet looking at draft reports from last year.  They all say that Thad has 3 point range.  I wonder if he didn't shoot it a lot because he was asked to play inside more than anything else.  Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
Wait... what kind of world do we live in where 29 is a few years from your peak? Is he going to get better? Probably not but I don't see him sliding until he's at least 33. and that would be year 4 of the 5 year contract.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »
How old was Karl Malone when he stopped being effective?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2008, 03:54:58 PM »
What kind of world do we live in where a pure post player starts declining that early barring some kind of recurring or degenerating injury?  Strength and shooting touch don't really disappear.  I don't see any reason why he can't put up good numbers through the entirety of the contract barring injury.  He may not be as good defensively, but there's no reason to think he'll go down offensively.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »
Brand isn't going to fall apart in 2-3 years man....he's got plenty left.  
Does he?  Don't get me wrong, i think the Sixers should sign Brand.
But man that would suck if he slowed down while the others peaked.  Totally suck if he reinjured.
However it seems like modern day post surgeries, diets, training and refined HGH-'roids produce a much better success rate then the old days.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2008, 03:56:50 PM »
BTW, I'm hurt the Fixer posted that at RealGM before here.  Betrayed :(

Haha, sorry about that.  Sometimes I'm reading that board and other times I'm here...if I hear something, I tend to just post where I'm reading at that given second.  I will try and be better in the future....don't hold it against me.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »
True, but (and I could be wrong) I don't think he has a history of injury other than the recent one.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »
How old was Karl Malone when he stopped being effective?

His last great season was at 36, and he was effective until he was 39.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2008, 03:58:33 PM »
I just went around the internet looking at draft reports from last year.  They all say that Thad has 3 point range.  I wonder if he didn't shoot it a lot because he was asked to play inside more than anything else.  Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Young's got a long way to go to get NBA 3 pt range.  His attempts in college were from him spotting up at the college 3.  He doesn't have NBA 3 pt range yet.  Is it possible he develops it?  Yes.  But it's not there, and it's not really something you can count on at this stage.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »
FWIW Ric Bucher was on ESPNnews a little bit ago and basically said Brand's agent (David Falk) is playing the Sixers. Falk's on something of an ego-trip to prove he's still one of the top agents in the league according to Bucher and is doing all of this to leverage more money out of the Clippers.

From the other board... thought it was interesting.

jemagee

« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2008, 04:07:51 PM »
Jasner said the same thing this morning on Cowherd, implying the sixers were being played,

So this is all a ploy to get a 6th year?