Author Topic: Brand?  (Read 80660 times)

jemagee

Re: Brand?
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2008, 04:44:06 PM »
Colin Cowhered - how does he have a job talking about sports?  He knows almost nothing

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »
Does anyone think we are pushing strong for Brand because maybe Smith told us last week that his preference is to stay with Atlanta.  He might have said if they offer me something close to what you guys offer, then I'm going to stay there.

Just seems odd that they went to all that trouble to woo him and now it seems our primary target is suddenly Brand.  Maybe we didn't think we had a legit shot at luring Brand from LA, but I would have thought we would have heard more about Brand early on if he was the primary guy.  Maybe they think their chances at Smith are extreemly low and this is all being done to not miss out on the other premiere PF on the market.

Obvioulsy I'm doing a lot of specualting here since no one from the Sixers has said that this trade is being done for Brand.  I guess it could still be for Smith as the #1 option.  

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »
So much speculation. I guess we just have to hope that Ed is on top of this, and has us in a good position for midnight

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »
This is David Falk not Scott Boras and I personally think there is a big difference. David made his spurs on the M Jordan bandwagon. I follow the Orangemen and I remember a talk David gave at the university (since he is a graduate) about the perverseness of agents today. I see Falk as a very stand up agent. Thats why I think this has a real chance of happening.

I don't buy the 'he gave a good talk' at a college thing, those things are scripted and he can say whatever he darn well pleases, phillies brass show up at colleges every once in a while and people post what they say and then you see how the team operates...words not deeds are what matters...agents are politicians...they tell you what you want to hear

You could be right Jem, I don't really know i am just taking Falk at his word...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120881198792032377.html

jemagee

« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »
Does anyone think we are pushing strong for Brand because maybe Smith told us last week that his preference is to stay with Atlanta.  He might have said if they offer me something close to what you guys offer, then I'm going to stay there.

Whatever Smith said, I think Brand is a much better option over the next 5 years, and that's what is driving this.

Smith is option 2...and according to reports, he knows it

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2008, 04:53:08 PM »
Does anyone think we are pushing strong for Brand because maybe Smith told us last week that his preference is to stay with Atlanta.  He might have said if they offer me something close to what you guys offer, then I'm going to stay there.

Whatever Smith said, I think Brand is a much better option over the next 5 years, and that's what is driving this.

Smith is option 2...and according to reports, he knows it

I agree that Brand is a better player AND better for this team.  I'm just saying they went to a lot of trouble with bringing Smith in last week and it seemed he was the primary target.  I guess it may have been to show they are really interested just in case the Brand thing fell though (which was probably a long shot when the process started).

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »
I will take the leap into the deep end of the pool. I will go on record (for whatever that is worth ...not much) that the 76ers are going to sign Brand.

I was talking to my sons about us signing him earlier today and i told them this could be the beginning of the old 76ers/Celtics rivalries of years gone by, and if it was, they needed to chronicle every aspect of it because it might be a long time for the next one to come along. Like 1983 when they were 4 and 1.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2008, 04:55:36 PM »
Josh Smith isn't stupid. He knows how this stuff works. He knows what kind of prize Brand is just like us

jemagee

« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2008, 04:58:19 PM »
  I'm just saying they went to a lot of trouble with bringing Smith in last week and it seemed he was the primary target.

I wouldn't say it was a lot of trouble, no.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »
Per Eskin:

"Very close, almost done"

Regarding Brand to Philly

jemagee

« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2008, 05:06:52 PM »
I've got espn 710 streaming, of course they just told me the clips can offer brand 7 years :) but I assume they'll have the california side and say we aren't going to hear until tonight.

Here's the thing though....until his name is on a contract, to me, done ain't done...

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2008, 05:07:57 PM »
Excellent. Whatever will we do with somethig positive to talk about?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »
I've got espn 710 streaming, of course they just told me the clips can offer brand 7 years Smiley but I assume they'll have the california side and say we aren't going to hear until tonight.

Um...yeah.  Welcome to 2005 ESPN.

jemagee

« Reply #208 on: July 08, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »
I emailed them the 6 year thing and the renouncing thing...mason and ireland are less irritating to listen to than anyone on WIP though :)

jemagee

« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »
Excellent. Whatever will we do with somethig positive to talk about?

In the immortal words of Josiah Bartlett

What's next?