Author Topic: Our own RFA's  (Read 8937 times)

jemagee

Re: Our own RFA's
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 10:11:46 AM »
I like Monta Ellis
I like Andre Iguodala more

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
Our rumored offer to Jamison shook my confidence in the Sixers thinking, but hopefully it all works out.

Unfortunately, there is a legit chance that we come out of this summer having to overpay both Iguodala and Lou (12M and 5.8M next season) and a FA like Magette who is a good player, but doesn't exactly fill our biggest needs, while eating up capspace.  it would almost force us to move Iguodala or Thad, while making us an older team.

Hopefully this is not how things play out.

Just another thought TK on the Magette possible signing and capspace. Suppose Speights is the C one or two years down the road? That means Dally is the designated trade for capspace. In a couple of write ups on Speights there have been mentions of C/PF. What if Jason Smith turns into a Ohkur type C? So maybe Magette? Although he is getting older all the time. Just a thought.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »
That's a lot of ifs and buts.  I'd need a more compelling reason to feel comfortable signing Maggette to a long term deal for big dolars.  If we got him for a steal (the MLE) I'd be fine with it, but he'll only go to a contender for that.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »
I finally had some time to go and look at the stats for entire group of free agents that might interest me in any way this summer, plus a number of our likely/rumored trade targets and came to the following conclusions from looking at the stats and having watched these players play:

- The top five players in free agency this year are, in order: 1. Elton Brand, 2. Baron Davis, 3.  Andre Iguodala, 4.  Luol Deng, 5. Josh Smith.  Losing Iguodala this summer would be a very bad thing.  He is a very, very good player in a FA class with only one great player in Brand and one sometimes great player in Davis.  The Iguodala, Deng, Smith group are close to each other, but Iggy has the best all-around game already and I don't see that changing.

- I hope Atlanta matches our offer to Josh Smith if we offer him over $65 million for 5 years.  I'm not sure he deserves that much given his less than stellar rebounding and FG shooting.  I think he is more flash than substance and I am not sure he will really get much better than he already is.

- Corey Maggette would be a nice player to have if he were younger.  But he's not.

- Childress is worth a contract in the $7 million dollar per year range.  I like him a lot, but going over $8 million per year is overpaying for his contributions.

- Monta Ellis is over rated and Ben Gordon is under rated (except by himself, then he is over rated).  Ellis puts up his numbers in a system that inflates offense and he is just a little fellow (with an amazing ability to score in traffic).  If I want an undersized scorer then I want one who can hit the three and shoot very efficiently.  I think both are best suited as bench scorers on a more conventional team than GS, unless Ellis shows more PG skills than he is given credit for.

- If we are trading for a fill-in guy with an expiring contract I want Shawn Marion.  Sheed has been on a slow and steady decline for several years, while Marion can simply fill up a stat sheet.  A 5 rpg difference between the two is huge for a team that lacked defensive rebounding last year.  Heck, if he plays well and will take a deal like Jamison did this year I would consider resigning him next summer.  If not, he would have more value at the trade deadline this year than Sheed would.  Wilcox is a reasonable fall back if he comes cheap trade asset wise.

- Lou Williams is a very nice player, but his value will be determined by whether he can play more minutes at PG.  I am not sure what a good contract would be for him right now, certainly no more than I listed for Childress, unless he has a future at the point.  He is also still getting better, making him a tough read value wise.

- Emeka Okafor is one player I don't want.  He is not an efficient player and has pretty much topped his game out already.  At the salary he will likely command I don't want to even look at him.

Overall, if we come out of this summer with Marion and one of Ben Gordon, Childress, or Magette (give him more than the MLE, but limit it to 4 years due to his age) and don't give up too much in the way of assets and future cap flexibility, plus re-sign our own RFA's, I will be very happy.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 06:45:35 AM »
Skates, my only question about your analysis is Smith.  I don't know if he will ever become a go to guy in the post, but he is only 22, and has improved every year.  I think he has as much chance or more to improve than Iguodala.  Even if he never stops shooting to many jumpers, I expect him to become a much better jump shooter by age 25 than he is now, which will make the shooting less of an detriment.

I think he has gotten somewhat of a bad rap about his attitude, and seems like a kid who, like Iguodala, really tries to work on his total game.  I agree he is not the answer to our exact needs like Brand would be, be at only 22 his upside is higher than any of the other FA by a considerable margin.  He might be the only 10M+ FA this year that actually goes on to justify his contract.  If we do a sign and trade I would try and add a sixth year to the deal.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »
With Smith the entire question offensively is shot selection.  He falls in love with the jumper all too much.  If he keeps his attempts primarily 15' and in, he can score 18 ppg on 47% shooting right now with no further development in his game.

I disagree about Monta Ellis not being a reliable shooter.  He doesn't have 3 pt range, but his midrange game is money.  I'd have a lot of interest in Ellis, but I think the odds of GS letting him go are slim and none at this point.

I also very much disagree about Sheed vs Marion.  There may be a rebounding difference, but there's an equally large defensive difference in Sheed's favor.  Sheed's actually a good team defensive rebounder, his weakness is on the offensive glass.  Sheed's still a top flight defender, and his range offensively would be a great benefit with Thad at the 3 trying to score down low.  I'd have more interest in sheed.

I wouldn't even offer Childress 7 million per.  I think he'd be a terrible fit next to Iguodala and Young.  And I don't pay $7 million (with a multi-year deal with escalating contracts) to a bench player scoring 12 ppg.  Especially one without reliable 3 pt range.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »
tk and Dbods:

I don't necessarily disagree with tk on Smith.  The problem I have is spending that amount of money on a guy who is a year away from us knowing if he will grow into his potential.  He is exactly the kind of guy that the current one year rule of college would work for. In fact Ellis and Lou Williams are in the same boat.  If they were not becoming FA's for another year we would have a better idea if:

1.  Smith - See if he can start to tame his game into an efficient package.  Increase the shooting %, improve his rebounding and overall add more substance to his game.

2.  Ellis - Show if he can expand his game to the 3 pt. line and see whether he has any more PG skills.  He has already shown plenty of value as a scorer, but I just want to see more considering his lack of size.

3.  Williams - Perhaps on the opposite end of the spectrum in that he is still on the upswing, but hasn't had a really big year yet, might end up a little underpaid because of it.

Mainly with Smith I feel a little like we are mixing very expensive free agency with a touch of the draft.  With Childress, Iggy, Okafor and Gordon, they are young enough to ensure they will stay productive age-wise through a 5-6 year deal, but I am already pretty sure what I am buying with the large amount of money I am spending.  They all still have room to improve, but that will be in refining their games.  Smith feels like he is still at least a step away and every description of him includes the term "potential."  Potential equals gamble.  I recognize the talent and the fit he would bring and in fact given our available options I would offer him a very big contract and see what happens.  I'm just saying that if Atlanta matches, I may be both disappointed and relieved.

My statements on Ben Gordon and Ellis were meant to compliment Gordon and to simply say that the Ellis mania rumored to be out there may be misplaced, not to say that he is not a very good player.  Ellis does have a lethal mid-range game and absolutely amazing, instictive move in traffic around the basket.  At the same time he is small both height (6'3'' in his dreams) and weight/strength.  I question whether a team making him a go to scorer and starter is getting what they intend to pay for.  He absolutely benefits from a GS system that spreads the floor with numerous deadly offensive players, plays at high scoring pace and bascially gambles on steals as their form of D.  On a team with less offensive firepower surrounding him he will get more defensive attention.  That will require him to vary his offensive arsenal to include a 3 pt shot and show more ball-handling/passing skills becuase he will be double teaned or assigned a top defender more often.  Defensively I really worry about him in a system that actually attempts to play D.  Guys like Iverson and Arenas and Gordon are much phsically stronger than Ellis desoite their lack of height.  Fighting a bigger player for position if they try to take you down town is as much about strength as about heighth.  He overall does not look to me to be as explosively athletic or to have the PG skills of other top undersized scorers like Iverson and Arenas.  I like him as a player and he should make a lot of money, but having 8-10 teams wanting to essentially max him out right now through S&T (adds that sixth year possibly) is too much for him.  In the right system and at the right price you will get a very good player with significant limitations.  To his credit he is excellent at maximizing what he can do and plays very much within himself on O, hence his very efficient shooting %.  But there appears to be a mania for him that I think is overblown.

Ben Gordon would be a much better fit for what the Sixers need.  He can be that guy who takes over a gane offensively and carries your team for a significant stretch of a game.  Whne he is on he is nigh unstoppable, although he is certainly streaky.  Dbods encouraged me ot re-evaluate his reputation as a chucker and it is overblown.  He would provide a high end efficient scorer and three point shooter.  He is not a good defender overall, but could become a good team defender and has good strength in his body despite his lack of size.  He is under-rated by most teams around the league right now because he over-values himself.  He might be worth $10 million a year (in FA the market is inflated) as the average for a 5 year deal.  On the Sixers he would be a great complement to high end defenders, great all-around game types like Iggy and Thad  are or will be at the swing positions.  Split the minutes at 2-3 between those guys, with Iggy at the 3 and Thad at the 4 for a few minutes a game and our lack of scoring is fixed.

Childress at $7 million per is just above what I belive the mid-level is and truthfully I like him for that much more on a finished team that needs him as a lock-down defender and high-end glue player, which is not where we are yet, or to help offset Iggy's loss if we lose him (and look to add a scoring wing in his place with Childress off the bench).  I agree that adding him to Iggy and Thad is a less appealing trio of wings, but could be cured by adding a shooting PG and a shooter at one of the "big man" positions.

On Sheed, I know he is capable of being a great defender and doing all of the little things that don't show up in the box score, but only when he is motivated, which seems to be less often these days.  His declining numbers do bother me and I think he is moving from starter on a CHiP level team towards a Robert Horry type role on a contender.  As a one year rental I fear dealing with Joe Dumars in a trade, I doubt he will be very motivated here, even in a contract year and we do need the rebounding he fails to bring.  I also think he is slowing donw considerably and might not be as effective moving back to PF, especially on a running team.

Marion will be in full contract-drive mode this year and will produce up a storm.  I think his value at the deadline won't be just as an expiring contract and that he will give the team more of a boost where it needs it.   I am also hopimg that a trade for Marion would include a trade of Miller, which is unlikely in the case of Detroit and Sheed.  I think we can preserve more cap flexibility in a Marion trade and have a better deadline asset.  I also think it is time to move Miller and grab a young PG like Marcus Williams to compete with Lou at PG and see what they both have.  I also fear losing more assets in a Sheed trade (i.e. first round picks) and want to preserve our assets to allow us to move up next year in a PG heavy draft and get the guy we want if none of our young PG's looks like the long-term answer.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 10:39:30 AM »
I agree with your assessment, but I also think Smith could develop froma good into a great player in the next few years.  Certainly signing him is risky, but his upside is much higher than any of the other RFA's, including Iguodala (who might end up having the better career than Smith.)  I guess it depends on how much you are willing to gamble on a 22 year old whose body and potential are stillk ahead of his skills and maturity.  I am willing to take the risk- figuring in 2-3 years he will still be a stradable commodity even if he doesn't develop into a franchise player.

You can have a similar discussion about bBiedrins, who is 22 and limitted offensively- but has much less upside than Smith (but more of a natural fit at PF/C.)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 11:01:12 AM »
I really hate the idea of signing Biedrins. He's has some skills but is he a good fit next to Sam? I really don't think so. I think the two of them would certainly do some nice things on D but our offense would really struggle if a team slowed our fastbreak down.

It isn't even so much that it's Biedrins I don't like as it is the situation and the money he would command.

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 11:03:25 AM »
With Smith the entire question offensively is shot selection.  He falls in love with the jumper all too much.  If he keeps his attempts primarily 15' and in, he can score 18 ppg on 47% shooting right now with no further development in his game.

Which leads to the other question, will he keep working to develop his game, which isn't fully polished yet.

Offline Howardmgm3

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »
My fear with the desire to sign Smith (for all of the cap room in particular) is if there really is a long term plan on building a championship caliber team or is he just the best player avilable that might be signed with our cap money?   
When drafting I understand the concept of drafting the best player available regardless of need but I do not think that is the way to go in free agency.  What we need is a power forward with a post up game.  We hope that Speights develops into that player but obviously that is not a given.  Josh Smith was measured at 6' 7" barefoot and 6' 8.25" in sneakers when he was measured in Chicago a couple of years ago.  He is a "finesse" power forward at best but more likely a "big" small forward.  To me that is too much like Thad.  Yes he is a good player that is only going to get better but are we putting together a fantasy team and looking for stats or a real team with complimentary players?
How are we a better all around team with him?  What is Ed's overall plan for the makeup of the team?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 01:32:02 PM »
I agree Smith is not the single answer to this teams needs (a player like Brand would be closer), but I do see Smith at 22 being a dynamic part of the solution.

I think he complements Thad- since Thad should develop a better post game and be better off the ball.  Thad also has much quicker feet but less bulk and shotblocking defensively.

I like the Idea of having combo's of Iguodala, Thad and Smith on the floor- especially defensively.  They are all versitile and quick enough to trap and freely switch on defense, and getting any one of them in the open court will be a sight to see (and effective offense.)

I wrote my take on Smith and how he would fit with different combo's on the Smith Thread- I think we potentially have enough post players if Thad and Speights develop.  What do you think?

jemagee

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 01:35:24 PM »
There is no single answer to this teams needs, the sixes have multiple long term needs, they aren't one player away, they wont solve it all in one off season, this is just one step in the process...anyone expecting a championship contending roster next year is thinking too positive and unreailstically in my opinion

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 01:50:44 PM »
Some of the answers to their problems may already on the roster.  Low post scoring and shooting will be better as these players mature.  Unfortunately, a new huge hole will open when Miller departs.

I think if we had been able to add Brand we would have been a very competetive team in the East this year.  In two years (If Miller stayed and we added a shooter) that team could make the ECF or even the finals.

Without Brand or Miller this team is several major pieces away, but heading in the right direction.  Adding Smith would be a step in the right direction, making the Sixers one of a few young talented teams that could be in position to contend in 2-3 years.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 02:16:22 PM »
Some of the answers to their problems may already on the roster.  Low post scoring and shooting will be better as these players mature.  Unfortunately, a new huge hole will open when Miller departs.

I think if we had been able to add Brand we would have been a very competetive team in the East this year.  In two years (If Miller stayed and we added a shooter) that team could make the ECF or even the finals.

Without Brand or Miller this team is several major pieces away, but heading in the right direction.  Adding Smith would be a step in the right direction, making the Sixers one of a few young talented teams that could be in position to contend in 2-3 years.

Very good summation.  The Brand/Miller comb would have been our only real "win now" possibility.  Anything else is part of the ongoing rebuild, and far more sensible.  Josh Smith could be a huge part in that process or a big hinderance, depending on where his game goes from here.  Underlying Jem's statement is a legitimate concern over whether as a big money player he will work to close the holes in his game or go the opposite way. 

I also agree that some of what we are looking for might already be on our roster.  More and more I want to see what Thad, Jason Smith and Speights do this year.  It may well be that Speights and Thad give us the post-up presence we need (and so could Iggy playing the 2) and our own J Smith could develop into the perimeter oriented big that we need.  Then we could focus our future cap money and trade assets into finding Miller's replacement.  Trading for Marion gives us that year to see the young guys develop more while generating produuctivity from the 4 spot.  We would be evaluating the young guys and Marion at the same time and by the deadline next year, or by the summer, would have a better idea of where to go on all fronts.  In addition I want to grab one more permanent (i.e. 4-5 year) piece of the puzzle in Gordon, Maggette or Childress, probably in that order, plus re-sign Iggy and re-sign or S&T Lou W.

I really hate the idea of signing Biedrins. He's has some skills but is he a good fit next to Sam? I really don't think so. I think the two of them would certainly do some nice things on D but our offense would really struggle if a team slowed our fastbreak down.

It isn't even so much that it's Biedrins I don't like as it is the situation and the money he would command.

He is a fine signing if you look at him as a PF for two years and our replacement for Sam after that, if not sooner.  He is like the smarter (basketball wise at least), more consistent and younger version of Sam.  I think he can score 14 ppg and still shoot well over 50% from the field.  Biggest drawback for me is his poor FT%.