Author Topic: ESPN Chat Stuff  (Read 50868 times)

jemagee

ESPN Chat Stuff
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
So on another board (where i can't post any more) they have a rolling thread dedicated to ESPN Chats.

John Hollinger is chatting right now and keeps implying that even if the sixers obtain a PF ala brand or smith they'll need to upgrade over willie green...i've sent a few questions asking how andre iguodala isn't an upgrade, and has of yet not received an answer :)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: ESPN Chat Stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »
No responses to your question yet.  Someone in the chat claiming that Philly will sign Smith to a 5 yr/$55 million dollar offer sheet.  Seems too easy for Atlanta to match, also seems to have no sources to back it up.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
No responses to your question yet.  Someone in the chat claiming that Philly will sign Smith to a 5 yr/$55 million dollar offer sheet.  Seems too easy for Atlanta to match, also seems to have no sources to back it up.

Someone in the chat claims Realgm says the sixers are going to sign smith for that contract, not exactly the same thing as an aactual fact, my guess is that it's a misinterpretation of what is read :)

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »
BTW I sent him a post as 'andre iguodala' reminding him that i have played SG a bit in the NBA.

Yes I know Iguodala isn't a 3 oint sniper, but no one on the sixers is :)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 03:02:35 PM »
Someone in the chat claims Realgm says the sixers are going to sign smith for that contract, not exactly the same thing as an aactual fact, my guess is that it's a misinterpretation of what is read :)

"Jimmie" is an idiot. Apparently someone read the Sixers $11MIL in cap space which meant the max they could sign Smith is a 5 year/$55MIL deal which is wrong. Sometimes I hate the internet.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 03:05:11 PM »
And then matt from philly perpetuates the idiocy, but none of my legitimate thought out questions get answered...you know, like how to get kyle lowry, what about PG and why don't you respect iguodala you bald goof

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 03:27:30 PM »
Hollinger really seems to believe that we need to upgrade SG. He mentioned us as a place for Maggette and Ben Gordon. I realize that we need some shooters so I'm starting to wonder who might be interested in a sign and trade for Iguodala and what he could fetch.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 03:29:43 PM »
Hollinger really seems to believe that we need to upgrade SG. He mentioned us as a place for Maggette and Ben Gordon. I realize that we need some shooters so I'm starting to wonder who might be interested in a sign and trade for Iguodala and what he could fetch.

I think he was just unaware that Stefanski has already said that Iggy is going to play the 2 and Thad the 3.  I even sent him a question saying as much.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »

Well that's because he kept referring to willie green, and yes the sixers DO need an upgrade over willie green, but the obvious moves of:

Iguodala - SG
Young - SF
New Guy - PF

Didn't seem to occur to him, in 3 or 4 different ways I asked him if Andre Iguodala was an upgrade over WIllie Green...

He does have a point - he just seemed to miss the fact that at least 2 starters were probably playing out of position.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »

I think he was just unaware that Stefanski has already said that Iggy is going to play the 2 and Thad the 3.  I even sent him a question saying as much.

So all thsoe years as a starter at the 2 guard, hollinger missed them?  Hollinger just loses credibilty here in my eyes by repeatedly saying they need to sign a SG after they get a PF to upgrade over Green

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »
Im sure someone is screening through the emails, and doesn't want Hollinger to get bogged down- but still no excuse for him not realizing Iguodala projects as our SG as soon as Thad is ready to play SF.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Im sure someone is screening through the emails, and doesn't want Hollinger to get bogged down- but still no excuse for him not realizing Iguodala projects as our SG as soon as Thad is ready to play SF.

According to most ESPN Chats I've read, the guys doing the chats screen them themselves, he took a lot of asinine idiotic sixer questions, including a FOLLOW UP to the 'real gm 55 million dollar' question.

Thorpe is better, and more entertaining

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »
The funniest exchange of the chat was a guy pretending to be Josh Smith:

Josh Smith: Why would I want to go to Philly - i'm just going to get booed

John Hollinger: It beats getting ignored.

Sad, but true.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
I get the whole Iguodala/Thad shift thing... but even after, especially after that, we will become one of the worst shooting teams in the league. I think you can get away with 3 SFs in your starting lineup (Dala, Thad, and Smith) but I don't know know that you can do it with a PG who has as limited range as Miller.

I really do believe that a lineup of Hinrich/Dala/Thad/Marion/Dalembert is better than a team of Miller/Dala/Thad/Smith/Dalembert.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »
I think it's a fair question whether Iguodala and Young can play together on the wings.  That may be what he was getting at, moreso whether than iguodala can play the 2.  Remember, Korver was starting back then, and that opened things up for Iguodala considerably.