Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253739 times)

jemagee

Re: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)
« Reply #1110 on: December 29, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »
Does anyone need to be traded MORE than Adam Morrison if they have any hope of ever making it past their ungodly over paid first contract?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 29, 2008, 10:16:30 PM »
Hughes' 13.6M expiring next year should be able to be turned into a good shooter if not a PG.  Its a bit of delayed gratification, but it might be better than what we would get from Sam next year.

I am not sure I want Hughes around our young guys for any length of time.

As for Morrison, I hold out a slim (no pun intended) possibility that he will eventually make a decent sixth man somewhere. 

jemagee

« Reply #1112 on: December 29, 2008, 10:33:42 PM »

I am not sure I want Hughes around our young guys for any length of time.

Can you stll trade a contract you've bought out?

As for Morrison, I hold out a slim (no pun intended) possibility that he will eventually make a decent sixth man somewhere. 

But Larry Brown seems to HATE him - you could probably get him for willie right now.

Hey wait a minute - that's not a bad idea

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 29, 2008, 10:43:39 PM »
Can you stll trade a contract you've bought out?

No.

you could probably get him for willie right now.

Hey wait a minute - that's not a bad idea

Garbage for garbage?  You loose either way.

jemagee

« Reply #1114 on: December 29, 2008, 10:45:13 PM »
Garbage for garbage?  You loose either way.

Morrisons contract is shorter and still might develop into something.

Willie Green is - um - Willie Green

I bet you could convince larry brown that hughes would make an excellent point guard - still

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »
Read that Jaric is 'disgruntled" in Memphis.  He is overpaid at 6M each of the next 3 years, but he's the type of garbage that might fit well on this team.  I could see him playing PG off the bench next to Lou.  I wonder if he could be part of a Memphis trade?  I'm sure the would love another expiring contract like Miller's, but its hard to see what else the Sixers would want off their wretched roster aside from picks.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 30, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
BTW- Evans for Jaric would work striaght up, but I doubt Memphis would make that deal?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 30, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »
Read that Jaric is 'disgruntled" in Memphis.  He is overpaid at 6M each of the next 3 years, but he's the type of garbage that might fit well on this team.  I could see him playing PG off the bench next to Lou.  I wonder if he could be part of a Memphis trade?  I'm sure the would love another expiring contract like Miller's, but its hard to see what else the Sixers would want off their wretched roster aside from picks.

First of all, guys getting paid $6 million per year and sleeping with Adrianna Lima are not allowed to be disgruntled.  My life is never that good at the nadir of my gruntlement.   ;D

Let's go all in with Memphis as one stop shopping:

Andre Miller and Sammy for Darko (Gives us someone to play center), Jaric (would be useful as a shooter off the bench), Conley (our attempt to land a young PG) and Buckner (bad contract).  All of those contracts are up after two years except Jaric, and he comes with Lima as an added bonus in the stands.  i would prefer getting more back, but maybe a deal like this is more on the realistic side.

jemagee

« Reply #1118 on: December 30, 2008, 01:43:29 PM »
Does Lima go to grizzlie games?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 30, 2008, 04:31:19 PM »
She used to go to T'Wolf games when he played there and when she wasn't busy super-modeling, I can't see how Memphis would be any worse of a location than Minny was for her.  Maybe she will put out a country music album next.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 30, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »
Hinrich will be back in 2-3 weeks.  Quick, trade for another injured guy!

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 31, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »
Hinrich will be back in 2-3 weeks.  Quick, trade for another injured guy!

Interesting dynamic in Chicago.  Gordon seems to be playing well, at least statistically, but he is a FA next summer.  Do they try to re-sign/extend him now or not?  Without Gordon they are left with Hinrich and Rose, plus guys like Hughes and Sefalosha whom they are supposed to be actively trying to trade.  I think they would be more open to moving Hinrich if Gordon was under contract going forward, since he's not Hinrich might need to stay as their safety net.  Gordon can block any trade this season because he would lose his Bird rights if he is moved a la Devean George last year.  I see Chicago being active in the trade market, but with who and for what I can't quite figure.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 01, 2009, 12:01:43 PM »
From Wojo on YahooSports:
Three NBA executives say that the Golden State Warriors are pushing Corey Maggette hard in trade talks. Other players that executives say are available include Philadelphia 76ers center Sam Dalembert, Charlotte Bobcats guard Raymond Felton and forward Adam Morrison, Chicago Bulls forward Drew Gooden and guard Larry Hughes and Sacramento Kings center Brad Miller. ?

The Sixers are in an odd spot right now.  It does not look like they are willing to punt the season, especially with Brand potentially back in 2-3 weeks.  On the other hand, they also seem resigned that Speights is not ready to play center(but maybe next to Brand?), nor Lou PG.  This means that if the trade away Sam and Miller they will not have a PG or C they are willing to give starters minutes unless they get someone back at those positions.

Looking at the names, I wonder if the Sixers would do something crazy like work a package that brings in Magette and send away Thad.  Thad has the type of value to bring back another prospect like Belinelli, Wright or Randolph.  It would be a very risky move to mortgage their future like that.

I also wonder if they have interest in Felton or Brad Miller as future starters.

Looks like dangerous waters given a lot of the players available bring flawed games and bad contracts (of course that's why they are available.)  The key is figuring out how they would fit with the puzzle that is Brand and Iguodala.

Also, if they gave up Sam in a salary dump type of move, I wonder if their are good FA names for this summer assuming they can free up 10-12M?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 01, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »
Dalembert to Charlotte actually makes sense.  They were looking for another big earlier in the year and LB/MJ have tired of some of their current players like Felton and Morrison.  Dealing Sammy to Charlotte would probably involve getting Nazr Mohamed back as a big body, same length contract guy at $6 mil a year and adding in either Felton or Morrison who both make over $4 million per year.  I don't think Sammy is out there as a pure salary dump, at least not yet, since as you noted the team is not punting the season. 

If you can get back some salary relief and a flawed player that you hope will blossom here in a position of need, it is a good deal for Sammy.  If you get Felton he is at a minimum an upgrade over Wg and possibly and answer at PG going forward (I am not a Felton fan, but maybe he fits well with Iggy handling next to him in the back court).  I am less of a Morrison fan, although if he blossomed as a shooter that would help, but I don't ever see him playing NBA caliber defense or anything remotely close.

If you move Sammy for a small, perhaps you try to move Andre Miller for a Brad Miller type although it might take a third team or a draft choice to sweeten that offer.  Felton is more of a combo guard, but put him together with a high post passer like Miller and a floor game like Iggy's and maybe it makes a fit for him.

I don't see Maggette coming here.  He has been hurt and has a bad contract at a position in SF where we don't need help.  Get us a pure shooter, a future at PG or a big man with a brain and the deal makes sense.  Another SF who is not a dominant player adn who left his defensive rep at Duke, no thanks.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 02, 2009, 11:25:16 AM »
OK, work is boring today, doing an office clean-up/reorganization day, so the ESPN trade machine beckons to me to break up the monotony.  Here is a three-team deal which works salary wise:

Philadelphia trades:

Samuel Dalembert to Chicago
Jason Smith, Andre Miller and a protected first rounder to Sacramento

Chicago trades:

Kirk Hinrich to Philadelphia
Tyrus Thomas, Drew Gooden and Thabo Sefalosha to Sacramento

Sacramento trades:

Brad Miller and Mikki Moore to Philadelphia
John Salmons, Quincy Douby and a second round pick to Chicago

Philadelphia gets:

Pros - an offensively skilled, good passing big man in Miller to replace Dalembert and a combo-guard shooter in Hinrich that can play PG with good passers in Iggy at SG and Miller at C.  Moore is a body for depth.

Cons - The Sixers take on a lot of salary, Moore is useless, but doesn't complain about minutes, the team trades skill for athleticism.  Hinrich may not be the answer at PG.  The Sixers give up a protected first rounder.

Chicago gets:

Pros - A good shooting, close to 20 ppg scorer in Salmons who would fit well in Del Negro's offense at SF/SG and could eventually be Gordon's replacement next to Rose.  He is a good passer which will help rose concentrate on scoring.  Dalembert is a full-sized center who can block shots and rebound and won't get the ball much.  The Bulls get rid of some failed first rounders they are supposedly tired of in Thomas and Sefalosha, plus get a second rounder back.

Cons - Dalembert comes with his flaws, Salmons and Gordon might jaw about playing time and they are taking some decently long contracts in Salmons and Sammy.

Sacramento gets:

Pros - Salary cap relief, a bunch of young players with some potential and a first round draft pick to help the rebuilding process.  They clear time for guys like Hawes and Thompson this year, with Gooden able to help keep the team afloat.  Next year Gooden goes and Smith comes in as another oung big who might fit into the Sacto offense off the bench.  Sefalosha is a good defender and athlete.  Francisco Garcia gets some of Salmon's minutes.

Cons - They trade their two most established players and take a step back in competitiveness this year for future gain.

Here is the link to the trade machine page, minus the draft pick exchange:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1711~1981~3028~3032~991~557~3232~3000~556~575~1726&teams=23~20~23~23~4~23~23~4~20~20~4&te=&cash=

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:24:44 PM by Skates »