Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253748 times)

jemagee

Re: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)
« Reply #1095 on: December 18, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »
And if they need to make roster space for a trade you got a bunch of players you can cut

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 22, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »
With all of the teams that have changed coaches so early, yet continue to disappoint under the interim guys, plus all of the teams looking to dump salary for this summer and 2010, I expecta lot of trade activity in the next month and a half.  Hopefully that will include the Sixers and Miller/Sam at some point.

jemagee

« Reply #1097 on: December 22, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »
Well yeah, I hope so too (and willie) - but sam doesn't expire until after the big summer of 2010 - sadly

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 22, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »
Well yeah, I hope so too (and willie) - but sam doesn't expire until after the big summer of 2010 - sadly

Hopefully, there will be three kinds of buyers out there:

1.  Contenders looking to add a missing or replace an injured piece - Sam or Miller could fit here depending on the team.  Theo might be even be a minor temptation for some teams, also WG if he can get on one of his hot streaks.

2.  Disappointed teams - This includes our fire the coach brethren and a few others.  Sam could go here or an even bigger change the complexion of the teams trade is possible.

3.  Salary dumpers - Miller could be hot here since he has an expiring contract, but is still a good player. 

Obviously a number of teams might combine the latter two categories.  For Sam we probably have to take back an equally long slary, but hopefully in the form of a pure scorer/shooter or shooting PG.

jemagee

« Reply #1099 on: December 22, 2008, 01:54:10 PM »
Don't forget the 'don't trade big for small' axiom - i would hope the sixers wouldn't let that get in the way of trading sam - but you never know
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:55:57 PM by jemagee »

jemagee

jemagee

« Reply #1101 on: December 24, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
Just remember - it could be worse - we could be warriors fans

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=bucher_ric&page=warriorsbucher-081223

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: December 25, 2008, 12:38:57 AM »
Steve Francis to Memphis:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3792265

Not that this trade means anything, but is it time to start calling Mike Conley a bust, or does he need to go through a second organization first?

jemagee

« Reply #1103 on: December 25, 2008, 12:46:14 AM »
Second year guy who probably came out a year early on a crap team with no clue what they're doing?

Wouldn't call him a bust just yet...

jemagee

« Reply #1104 on: December 29, 2008, 11:22:23 AM »
Bulls.com

Though Bulls fans keep talking about guys like Chris Kaman, I think one guy you probably can get is the 76ers? Samuel Dalembert. He's produced better lately, at least 13 rebounds in four of the last six games, though the 76ers have lost three straight. Dalembert was something of the inspiration for Tyson Chandler's contract as Chandler's representatives held out until they went a bit better than Dalembert given the similarity of their play. The 76ers have even used rookie Marreese Speights at more crucial times and in need of perimeter shooting, a Bulls strength, perhaps there is a deal to be made? Larry Hughes and Joakim Noah? Though would you want Dalembert's two years and $25 million after this season? But that's the kind of centers more likely available

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 29, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »
Great, Joke and the Joker in the same frontcourt (Noah and Evans.)

And another guard who can't shoot.  Where do we sign up.

jemagee

« Reply #1106 on: December 29, 2008, 11:47:16 AM »
Well, it's only one writer, and one article, but maybe it gives an idea of the value of Sam Dalembert to OTHER teams in the league?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 29, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »
Thinking a bit more about Hughes and his contract.  He has a 13.6M contract that expires before the summer 2010.  While I don't see the Sixers as being players in the star sweepstakes that summer (although they could if they stood pat this summer.)  That big expiring could really be valuable in the trade market next year.  I'm sure a team like the Knicks would give up picks and players for that type of cap space.

On the flip side, it would mean at least anothr 12 months of not having a good shooter.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 29, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Better yet, with Hughes you get a guy who thinks he is a good shooter when he actually sucks.  I think Iggy knows he is not a great shooter, but feels he needs to be the primary scoring option without Brand, a notion repeatedly and incorrectly reinforced by the coaching staff and organization as a whole.  Hughes has far greater delusions of grandeur, hence his many stops around the league.

As for the Bulls make it Hinrich and Thomas or Gray and I will make that deal.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 29, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »
Hughes' 13.6M expiring next year should be able to be turned into a good shooter if not a PG.  Its a bit of delayed gratification, but it might be better than what we would get from Sam next year.