Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 251383 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #915 on: August 06, 2008, 09:58:02 AM »
The latest from SF1976:

Last I heard about Iguodala..it was only a matter of time..he wants to be here..we want him to stay....they werent off by much in dollars...I think its 99 percent that he will stay here.

Actually...it may be a 5 year deal with Iguodala....instead of 6.....with a base salary first year of about 12 million....last i heard

Too much in my eyes...but whatever..they need him.

Ed hasnt talked to Andre Miller..he lays low during summer..a few text messages..thats it. But yes he wants to talk extension with him/his agent...we will see what happens. Nothing brewing there.

As for Iguodala...if he gets 8 percent increases each year off a 12 million base..thats 16.32 in final year of contract. Alot of money for a guy that cant shoot huh?

The 12M year salary sounds off.  I could see that for a flat rate, but not if the salary escalates from there.  For comparison, Okafor and Deng start at 10, Biendrins and Ellis at 9M,  12M is much higher than I would expect for the 1st year (unless it does not go up from there.)

Also, I guess SF1976 doesn't realize the raises could be more than 8% for a Bird's Rights RFA.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 06, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »
Per Tom Moore:

As for Iguodala, a source indicated that the Sixers and agent Rob Pelinka are discussing a deal worth more than $70 million over five years. That would mean $12 million next year, with annual raises of $1.26 million.

Also, from his Blog:
Huge Iguodala payday wouldn?t force Sixers to pay tax

Indications are that swingman Andre Iguodala and the Sixers are working on a long-term contract that starts at $12 million. Over five years, with annual 10.5 percent increases of $1.26 million, the deal?s value could exceed $70 million.

While that would push the Sixers above the league?s salary cap of $58.68 million, it would keep them about $5 million below the luxury-tax threshold of $71.15 million. They could still sign several players for the league minimums ? team president Ed Stefanski said he wants to add another big man with NBA experience ? to bolster the roster to the required 13 (they?d be at 12 with Iguodala). Teams, such as the Knicks and Mavericks, that exceed the luxury-tax number must pay a dollar-for-dollar penalty.

The Sixers? current payroll is roughly $53.5 million.
I hope that is 5/70+ after major incentives (like how Deng was 6/80 after incentives.)  Either way, much higher than I thought- and much higher than the 6/76 people were balking at.

The max is a bit over 5/80.  This is way too close to the max- but I'm not in much of a position to question Ed's judgment up to this point.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:24:59 AM by tk76- »

jemagee

« Reply #917 on: August 06, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »
Andre Miller canned his agent, no idea if this impacts his willingness to discuss and if he's hired a new agent

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 06, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »
The breakdown on such a contract:

Year 1 - 2008-2009 - $12,000,000

Year 2 - 2009-2010 - $13,260,000

Year 3 - 2010-2011 - $14,520,000

Year 4 - 2011-2012 - $15,780,000

Year 5 - 2012-2013 - $17,040,000

A sixth year would be at $18,300,000

From those sources, for what that is worth, it does not sound incentive based.  Pretty freaking pricey for Iguodala.  Not including a sixth year would be smart since it pretty much wipes out nearly $20 million from the total cost of the package.  I foresee a Bobby Abreu-like treatment of Iggy if he gets this kind of contract and doesn't become an all-star at least.

jemagee

« Reply #919 on: August 06, 2008, 11:14:31 AM »
I foresee a Bobby Abreu-like treatment of Iggy if he gets this kind of contract and doesn't become an all-star at least.

Oh, you don't even have to go that far back, it's always the higher paid players, rollins and howard are getting booed now...of course, when utley's bat went to sleep he was immune from such short sighted booing...i would hope that the average sixer fan isn't as stupid as the average phillie fan, and just based on 'forum traffic' as a inexact science, the fanbase of the phillies and eagles and flyers surpasses the fan base of the sixers by a wide margin.

I still don't get what magic sway sam dalembert holds over the sixers fans...

If Elton Brand isn't average 25/15 in the first month i expect people will start calling him grossly over paid and not worth it and deciding the siers will never win a title with him on the team

5 years 72.6 million for iguodala...commence the bashing

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »
The first bashing you will hear will be the Atlanta Hawks bashing their heads against the wall as Josh Smith's pricetag would surely go up if this Iggy deal goes through.

jemagee

« Reply #921 on: August 06, 2008, 11:22:41 AM »
The first bashing you will hear will be the Atlanta Hawks bashing their heads against the wall as Josh Smith's pricetag would surely go up if this Iggy deal goes through.

Oh the hawks already screwed themselves this summer, i'm sure once deng signed his contract they were screwed, 'poor' ben gordon though, once iguodala puts his name on the dotted line he's really going to have to tak that qualifying offer or take a lot less than he thinks he's worth isn't he?

Smiths problems is that his QO isn't really that huge since he was the 17th pick in the draft

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #922 on: August 06, 2008, 11:30:40 AM »
The latest from SF1976:

Last I heard about Iguodala..it was only a matter of time..he wants to be here..we want him to stay....they werent off by much in dollars...I think its 99 percent that he will stay here.

Actually...it may be a 5 year deal with Iguodala....instead of 6.....with a base salary first year of about 12 million....last i heard

Too much in my eyes...but whatever..they need him.

Ed hasnt talked to Andre Miller..he lays low during summer..a few text messages..thats it. But yes he wants to talk extension with him/his agent...we will see what happens. Nothing brewing there.

As for Iguodala...if he gets 8 percent increases each year off a 12 million base..thats 16.32 in final year of contract. Alot of money for a guy that cant shoot huh?

The 12M year salary sounds off.  I could see that for a flat rate, but not if the salary escalates from there.  For comparison, Okafor and Deng start at 10, Biendrins and Ellis at 9M,  12M is much higher than I would expect for the 1st year (unless it does not go up from there.)

Also, I guess SF1976 doesn't realize the raises could be more than 8% for a Bird's Rights RFA.

Just curious, but if it's been reported in a newspaper, is it really "the latest from SF1976"?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 06, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »
Agreed, I found the Moore quote after I read the SF1976 post.  Not really a inside dish when it is already being reported by a paper.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 06, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »
The breakdown on such a contract:

Year 1 - 2008-2009 - $12,000,000

Year 2 - 2009-2010 - $13,260,000

Year 3 - 2010-2011 - $14,520,000

Year 4 - 2011-2012 - $15,780,000

Year 5 - 2012-2013 - $17,040,000

A sixth year would be at $18,300,000

Ouch.

I won't root against a guy just because he is overpaid- I tend to hold management to the fire for that.  I think we all should get Pelinka to represent us- since he is looking to be really good at his job.

I guess this raises the question of how willing the team is to pay the tax in a couple of years, because after year 2 Brand and Iguodala will be making well in excess if 30M, and I expect Thad to get big $'s by year 3.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 06, 2008, 11:59:42 AM »
Agreed, I found the Moore quote after I read the SF1976 post.  Not really a inside dish when it is already being reported by a paper.

Yeah, the identical nature of Moore's blurb and SF's post seem a little too coincidental.  

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #926 on: August 06, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »
I guess this raises the question of how willing the team is to pay the tax in a couple of years, because after year 2 Brand and Iguodala will be making well in excess if 30M, and I expect Thad to get big $'s by year 3.

I don't believe Thad has to get extended until the summer Evans, Dalembert and Green come off the books.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 06, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »

I don't believe Thad has to get extended until the summer Evans, Dalembert and Green come off the books.

Correct, he could be extended at end of year three or sign a new deal as an RFA at end of year 4.  We would also have Brand and Iggy with expiring contracts in the same year, assuming this rumor is true and assuming they both stay here all 5 years.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:04:21 PM by Skates »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #928 on: August 06, 2008, 01:04:51 PM »
It's impossible to not hold the player to a different standard when he signs a big money contract.  When he's taking up such a large percentage of his cap, you need production from that percentage of your cap as you lose flexibility.  It's not his fault he's overpaid, but his value to the team will be at least partly determined by his salary and how much flexibility your lose with his salary.

I mean, if I get paid $1 per day, my boss isn't going to worry if my productivity is low.  He's using a very low amount of resources on me, so anything he gets is gravy.  If I get paid $400k per year, then my expectations raise as the company is investing a significant portion of its disposable resources on me and is expecting a high amount of productivity.

Iguodala just went from making about 5% of the cap to about 20% of the cap.  The expectations naturally change, because his contract is now a much more limiting factor in our available resources than it was before.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 06, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »
Fair enough- no doubt Iguodala will be judged under the microscope.  I just think if he continues to be a good player who works on his game and is not a distraction but does not becopme a real star  then it should be judged as an error by management.

I agree that if he makes mistakes on the court, or comes up small again in the playoffs his criticism will be magnafied.  I just would not criticize him soley on the basis of his contract.