Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253504 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #585 on: July 15, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »
Well, the good thing for Ed is that because of AI2's RFA status, he has a week to work out something if the offer is too big to match.  We may end up losing Iguodala and having to give up something else to get a guy like Gordon, but such is life in the NBA.

Not really true.

If Iguodala signs and offer shett you either match or lose him.  You can't make a sign and trade after the offer sheet is signed.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #586 on: July 15, 2008, 12:08:51 PM »
If Iguodala signs and offer shett you either match or lose him.  You can't make a sign and trade after the offer sheet is signed.

I was actually corrected on this (I believe by tsf), but you can rescind an offer sheet, but all 3 parties (sixers, clippers, iguodala) would have to agree.  So, realistically, your s&t options would be limited to just the clippers (as why would the clippers agree to rescind an offer so the Sixers could trade him to Chicago?).

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 15, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »
Can someone link this comment of Iguodala's?? I didn't see it on hoopsworld.

He didn't actually say anything wrong, just isn't saying anything encouraging either.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9458

One of the most common sayings you hear in an NBA locker room is, "It's a business." Fans don't always appreciate this, as they're caught up in what's going on during games and what their favorite players are doing and saying. Then they get frustrated when things don't work out during the offseason, not understanding how the parties involved can't see the potential they blow up through trades and free agency.

A key example is the LA Clippers, who signed Baron Davis and started printing playoff tickets . . .only to find that Elton Brand was gone before they could even turn around. They tried a last-ditch effort to keep Corey Maggette, but that failed as well. Suddenly a team that could have been a serious contender in the amazingly tough West looks like a lottery team. Clippers fans don't understand how Brand could walk away from such a situation, but at the end of the day it was the way the business side was handled that cost the Clippers their star player.

So we turn our attention to Brand's new team, the Philadelphia 76ers. On paper - today - they're a real threat to the Boston Celtics in the East. Brand makes the combination of Andre Miller, Andre Iguodala, and Samuel Dalembert lethal, to say the least.

But what if "business" gets in the way?

Andre Iguodala is in Vegas watching summer league action at UNLV, so naturally we chatted with him about his plans for next season. He admitted he thought the Sixers could be very good with Brand in the mix, but stopped well short of committing his own future to Philadelphia. He's in Vegas having some fun, enjoying what little time off he can really get as a professional athlete, but behind the scenes his agent is working hard to make sure Iguodala gets the best financial situation he can get. That may or may not be Philly.

The Clippers in Play

There's a lot of talk about the LA Clippers, who have roughly $12 million in cap space and desperately need to fill the gaping hole left by Brand's departure. The funniest story of the week may be the Clips' offer of a second round draft pick to the Knicks for Zach Randolph. How serious are they about getting rid of Zach? Not THAT serious.

On a more serious note, expect to see the Clips be the team that delays certain signings, like Josh Smith and the Hawks, Andre Iguodala and the Sixers, and maybe even Luol Deng and the Bulls. Whether or not LA is actually able to land any of those players is one thing, but at the very least they'll be the team that escalates the value of some or all of them.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 15, 2008, 12:11:50 PM »

I was actually corrected on this (I believe by tsf), but you can rescind an offer sheet, but all 3 parties (sixers, clippers, iguodala) would have to agree.  So, realistically, your s&t options would be limited to just the clippers (as why would the clippers agree to rescind an offer so the Sixers could trade him to Chicago?).

Thanks for the clarification.  I was not aware of that either.  Is this common practice to recind the offer sheet to make a trade?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #589 on: July 15, 2008, 12:13:42 PM »
Well, the good thing for Ed is that because of AI2's RFA status, he has a week to work out something if the offer is too big to match.  We may end up losing Iguodala and having to give up something else to get a guy like Gordon, but such is life in the NBA.

Not really true.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.  Once the offer sheet is made, if Ed deems it too big to match, he can then talk to other teams and see what fallback options are available in the event they don't match.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 15, 2008, 12:15:21 PM »

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

No- you just can't handle the truth...

Actually, I was wrong.

jemagee

« Reply #591 on: July 15, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »
I would have to think that the clippers and sixers are already negotiating the framework of a sign and trade if such a thing is possible...are there pieces in place to get it done...but i would think even with the good pieces you'd get back from the clips you might have to take some bad pieces, or why do they do a sign and trade?  I mean if the clips now the sixers won't match a 12 mil first year salary, just offer it, but if the sixers would take back a bad deal (say tim thomas) and include maybe reggie evans cause they need a power forward, then it's something to talk about.

I'm not suggesting any parts of a deal i'm just saying, it seems clear that the sixers won't match 'any deal', and the rumblings are that the clips have enough cap room to hit that 'not match' threshold...so their motivation to do a S&T would hinge on getting rid of something they didn't want...to still maintain some smeblance of cap room.

I truly hope donnie walsh is still negotiating with them regarding zach

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 15, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I'm surprised to see Memphis dealing Crittenton as opposed to Lowry.  They are allegedly asking for Bogans and 'multiple draft picks' in return.  I could see a late first or maybe 2nd rounders.  

We should be involved in that conversation.... I would offer Smith or Evans without blinking along with a 2nd rounder for Critt.  

Evans does not work salary wise unless we get more back.  Smith and a second I would do in a second.

As I went to workout I realized that I misspoke here, kind of disappointed that Ducky didn't pick up on it (or perhaps care enough to point it out), but I was mistakenly thinking trade with Orlando instead of Memphis.  Of course Evans would work in a Memphis deal, although he might be less desirable because of his contract.  My bad.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 15, 2008, 12:48:53 PM »
Can someone link this comment of Iguodala's?? I didn't see it on hoopsworld.

He didn't actually say anything wrong, just isn't saying anything encouraging either.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9458

One of the most common sayings you hear in an NBA locker room is, "It's a business." Fans don't always appreciate this, as they're caught up in what's going on during games and what their favorite players are doing and saying. Then they get frustrated when things don't work out during the offseason, not understanding how the parties involved can't see the potential they blow up through trades and free agency.

A key example is the LA Clippers, who signed Baron Davis and started printing playoff tickets . . .only to find that Elton Brand was gone before they could even turn around. They tried a last-ditch effort to keep Corey Maggette, but that failed as well. Suddenly a team that could have been a serious contender in the amazingly tough West looks like a lottery team. Clippers fans don't understand how Brand could walk away from such a situation, but at the end of the day it was the way the business side was handled that cost the Clippers their star player.

So we turn our attention to Brand's new team, the Philadelphia 76ers. On paper - today - they're a real threat to the Boston Celtics in the East. Brand makes the combination of Andre Miller, Andre Iguodala, and Samuel Dalembert lethal, to say the least.

But what if "business" gets in the way?

Andre Iguodala is in Vegas watching summer league action at UNLV, so naturally we chatted with him about his plans for next season. He admitted he thought the Sixers could be very good with Brand in the mix, but stopped well short of committing his own future to Philadelphia. He's in Vegas having some fun, enjoying what little time off he can really get as a professional athlete, but behind the scenes his agent is working hard to make sure Iguodala gets the best financial situation he can get. That may or may not be Philly.

The Clippers in Play

There's a lot of talk about the LA Clippers, who have roughly $12 million in cap space and desperately need to fill the gaping hole left by Brand's departure. The funniest story of the week may be the Clips' offer of a second round draft pick to the Knicks for Zach Randolph. How serious are they about getting rid of Zach? Not THAT serious.

On a more serious note, expect to see the Clips be the team that delays certain signings, like Josh Smith and the Hawks, Andre Iguodala and the Sixers, and maybe even Luol Deng and the Bulls. Whether or not LA is actually able to land any of those players is one thing, but at the very least they'll be the team that escalates the value of some or all of them.

So that is what all of the Hoopla is about.  The guy (Iggy) didn't throw his own negotiating leverage under the bus for some low level reporter/blogger guy.  Big deal, what did they expect him to say, "I'm absolutely coming back"?  Why would he do that when as of now I don't know that we even have a firm contract offer on the table for him.  No real news there on the Clippers' plans either.  Much ado about nothing.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #594 on: July 15, 2008, 12:51:28 PM »
It's much ado about nothing because there aren't any actual quotes from Iguodala. It's all inferred by the writer.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #595 on: July 15, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
Iguodala's value should be determined by the market, and unless the Clips hit him with an offer sheet, the market is us.  That's the reality...and if he doesn't like it, then too bad.

And, if he decided that a $60ish million offer isn't enough and he wants to play under the one-year qualifier, then be my guest...but there is ZERO guarantee that he's gonna get more next summer, with teams clearing cap room NOW for the motherlode in 2010.  What could happen if he plays for the qualifier?

1) He gets hurt (ouch);

2) He regresses as a player (like Deng and/or Gordon);

3) His numbers go down due to the arrival of Brand (my #1 choce here);

4) His numbers go down as the Sixers - realizing that Iggy is out of here after next season - give more minutes to the guys who are going to be here (like LouW);

5) He blows up and the Sixers are playing in June;

In almost every scenario here, I don't see his likelihood of becoming "max-able" next summer getting much better...it could be an even deeper FA class next summer (especially if Iggy, Deng or Gordon go the one-year qualifier route), and you could have a bunch of teams saving their pennies for 2010...

Can you say a "Maggette to the Clippers" contract?

Yup...I sure can.

If Stefanski offers Iggy a $60ish million contract, and Iggy opts for a one-year qualifier...man, it's gonna be u-g-l-y around here next season for Iggy, IMO.

jemagee

« Reply #596 on: July 15, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
odala's value should be determined by the market, and unless the Clips hit him with an offer sheet, the market is us.  That's the reality...and if he doesn't like it, then too bad.

Ah, but what if the clippers pony up a 65/70 million dollar contract (which was the debate yesterday) the market is set for Iguodala higher than the sixers feel is his worth - would you let him walk for a measly 1-2 million per year over the life of the contract?

Anyone know the terms of maggettees deal to the warriors?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #597 on: July 15, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »
I believe Maggette signed a 5 year/$50MIL deal which has been questioned by many people on ESPN since Maggette's only other offers were for the MLE.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #598 on: July 15, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
Cross Anthony Johnson off the veteran backup PG list, he's heading to Orlando:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3488606

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #599 on: July 15, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »
jem:

If the Clips offer him a $70 million deal, I say we wave "bye-bye" and either 1) try to get Gordon with Iggy's cap-hold or 2) sign Childress for a fraction of that $70 million, mix-and-match with LouW and go shopping for a high-quality shooter next summer.

I think that if the Clips give Iguodala more money than Baron Davis, it would be about par for the course.