Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253654 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #570 on: July 14, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
I did see that and the reason given by Stein (I believe) makes sense. The Lakers figure that with a healthy Bynum and Gasol that there aren't going to be enough minutes left over to warrant paying Turiaf $4MIL.

Why are we keeping Evans again? :-)

jemagee

« Reply #571 on: July 14, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »
Cau?se he has the trade value of a wet sock?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 15, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Rumors for today: (I will stick to those bearing some relationship to the Sixers)

Orlando and Memphis working on possible trade for Javaris Crittenton.  We should be part of this story.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080715/SPORTS/807150321/1002/SPORTS

Steve Novak of the Rockets likely to be moved.  SF76 linked him to us as per another thread.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5888142.html

Kopenen's strong play in the summer league muddles Portland's roster decisions.  Really bummed me out when we picked and traded him last year.  I'd take him back.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/07/the_great_debate_to_sign_or_no.html#more

Nets looking to sign and trade Nachbar and possibly Kristic.  I doubt we can get in on either, but it would be worth checking out.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/nets/25455579.html

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 15, 2008, 10:16:07 AM »
Definitely a shame the Sixers no longer have any good chips to move.  Critt and Kaponen would be good pieces moving forward.  Good thing we have Byars and Hill- iotherwise I would call last years 2nd round moves dissapointing...

In fact, what did we end up getting for AI.

We did not get Thad (we would have had that pick anyway.)  We got Jason Smith and Andre Miller.  We sold the other pick, and wasted the 2nd rounders.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: July 15, 2008, 10:22:40 AM »
We got Elton Brand?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 15, 2008, 10:27:22 AM »
I'm trying to look at BK's "3 year plan."  I think he let the AI situation get out of control, until he enedrd up making a less than ideal trade.  I also think BK could have used CWebb's expiring to get something other than just cap relief (although Comcast may have forced him to buy out CWebb to save money.)

I can't be sure, but I doubt BK would have traded away KK to free up the cap space needed to get Brand.  Gettiing brand was a combination of Ed and Luck.

jemagee

« Reply #576 on: July 15, 2008, 10:35:29 AM »
Billy King got fired, that's the best result of all

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #577 on: July 15, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »
I'm surprised to see Memphis dealing Crittenton as opposed to Lowry.  They are allegedly asking for Bogans and 'multiple draft picks' in return.  I could see a late first or maybe 2nd rounders.  

We should be involved in that conversation.... I would offer Smith or Evans without blinking along with a 2nd rounder for Critt.  

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 15, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »
I refuse not to be gloomy today ;D

Reading Iguodala's statements to Hoppsworld make me wonder if he even has much of a desire to return to Philly.  Do you think there is more ill will from last fall's failed extension talks then we thought?  Has he even been quoted saying he wants to return to Philly?

I here Lou saying how he is negotiating to get fair market value.  I here Andre saying he wants to get every dollar he can.  Am I reading too much into this?  I don't want Ed to be cornered into either overpaying or losing Iguodala.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #579 on: July 15, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »
We did not get Thad (we would have had that pick anyway.)  We got Jason Smith and Andre Miller.  We sold the other pick, and wasted the 2nd rounders.

I think you would have to include Elton Brand in there as at least an auxiliary benefit.  Joe Smith's cap relief was a big part in us getting cap space.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #580 on: July 15, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
I refuse not to be gloomy today ;D

Reading Iguodala's statements to Hoppsworld make me wonder if he even has much of a desire to return to Philly.  Do you think there is more ill will from last fall's failed extension talks then we thought?  Has he even been quoted saying he wants to return to Philly?

I here Lou saying how he is negotiating to get fair market value.  I here Andre saying he wants to get every dollar he can.  Am I reading too much into this?  I don't want Ed to be cornered into either overpaying or losing Iguodala.

I've been saying all along that Iguodala will go wherever the most money is, because that's how he's been whenever negotiations have come up.  He has never said anything that makes me think he likes Philly.

Lou Williams on the other hand seems to want to stay in Philly, and is just checking around the market to see what he can get so he can take the offer back to Philly.  I have no problem with an agent doing his job.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 15, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »
I'm surprised to see Memphis dealing Crittenton as opposed to Lowry.  They are allegedly asking for Bogans and 'multiple draft picks' in return.  I could see a late first or maybe 2nd rounders.  

We should be involved in that conversation.... I would offer Smith or Evans without blinking along with a 2nd rounder for Critt.  

Evans does not work salary wise unless we get more back.  Smith and a second I would do in a second.

Return from the AI deal, direct and indirect:

Jason Smith
Andre Miller
Some Cap Space
BK fired
Stefanski hired
Korver and Carney and Booth gone- more cap space
Brand signed

A happy deal in the end, unless you are AI.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 15, 2008, 11:15:06 AM »
I don't mind a player and agent trying to maxiize a players value.  I will be a bit perturbed if Iguodala actually signs an offer sheet with the Clips.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #583 on: July 15, 2008, 11:18:48 AM »
Can someone link this comment of Iguodala's?? I didn't see it on hoopsworld.

Also, Iguodala wants to get paid and I get that. I also understand that he's not going to give the Sixers any sort of a discount when re-signing. I guess my concern isn't so much with what Iguodala wants and gets but what Stefanski is prepared to do to keep him. It's been well stated that if the number goes as high as some columnists have floated (5 years/$70MIL) that I am either walking away altogether or working a sign and trade.

The good news is that Stefanski has a great resume in finance and so he's not like a Danny Ainge or Isiah Thomas in that he's a basketball guy first and a negotiator second. What I like about Ed is that he's gone on the record as saying he knows this team needs shooting and that he also believes that bad contracts are the biggest problem an NBA GM faces.

In Ed I Trust.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #584 on: July 15, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »
Well, the good thing for Ed is that because of AI2's RFA status, he has a week to work out something if the offer is too big to match.  We may end up losing Iguodala and having to give up something else to get a guy like Gordon, but such is life in the NBA.