Author Topic: Mr. Smith visits Philly...  (Read 31074 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Mr. Smith visits Philly...
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2008, 08:24:18 PM »

Don't throw the superstar word around lightly, the sixers didn't 'always' have them...between barkley and iverson?

After Dr J left until Barkley?

Keep in mind, i hate barkley but acknowledge he was a 'super star'

Dr. J and  barkley were on the same team.  The 4 years between Barkley and Ai (the Spoon years) are the only time the Sixers have been without one or more superstars in the past 30+ years.  In some ways we have been lucky, but there are a lot of "stars" out there.

Barkley was just on the cusp of superstardom and Dr. J was on the decline during most of their time together.  However, there was also this big fella, Moses Malone, he was pretty good too.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
If we're talking about superstars, don't forget about Gminski and the G-Man Baseline Jumper.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »
The best seat I ever had for a Sixers game was just behind the baseline in the old Spectrum for a game with NJ.  G-man was still playing with the Nets and pulled down an offensive rebound right in fromt of me.  Barkley was between him and the basket.  Gminski head and ball faked once, twice, three times and Barkley wouldn't bite.  Finally, he went up as strong as he could (considering his exercise induced asthma and all) and Sir Charles went up with him and was laughing out loud as he swatted the ball about 30 feet into the crowd. 

Of course, two or three weeks later Gminski became a Sixer.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2008, 09:47:33 PM »
Stefanski even kicked in a meet and greet w/ Mayor Nutter.  Smith's agent says they should have a tighter grip on which direction they are headed early next week.... hopefully we left a lasting impression as I'm sure he's off to see what else is out there

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3471354

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2008, 09:48:54 PM »
When you look at the Hawks roster they already have a couple of PF, Horford, Williams, and Smith. So if they lose Smith you still have Williams, and Horford. Albiet Horford plays C. So Childress slides over to SF and Williams slides over from SF to PF. Williams is not a ral grinder at PF, but neither is Smith. paying or matching Philly is really foolish in the bigger picture for the Hawks. They need to spend their money elsewhere. Bibby, Johnson and then a third large contract (Smith) handcuffs them.

I could see a sign and trade after the contract offer is to large for the hawks to swallow. Who would be going the other way I don' have a guess?

The Hawks really should find a C and move Horford to PF. That is the position they should spend their money on C. But it is the Hawks.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
The Hawks fans have suffered for awhile.  Taking Boston to 7 games was like the equivalent of a conference title for them.  Seeing as how the Hawks passed on such talents as CP3 and Deron, the fan base would most likely view letting Smith walk as a slap to the face.  We'll see though, if we go all out with a front loaded offer that could make things difficult for them early on... and could factor in with their hopes to retain the other Josh. 

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2008, 10:13:56 PM »
I have a bad feeling about Smith. I can't put my finger on it but after watching the clips of him at the Center and the brief interview he gave CSN... I think he's just using us to get bigger numbers from Atlanta. We're playing our part in this play and he's playing his... in the end, I don't think he's wearing a Sixer uni next season.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2008, 10:23:38 PM »
I agree.  I put the odds at less than 25%.  Also, it looks like he is dragging out the process.  If he was really interested in Philly I think he would have signed an offer sheet today.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2008, 10:29:41 PM »
I agree.  I put the odds at less than 25%.  Also, it looks like he is dragging out the process.  If he was really interested in Philly I think he would have signed an offer sheet today.

He can't sign anything until the 9th, and I think it would be negligence on his agent's part to agree to something with the Sixers before exploring all options.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »

He can't sign anything until the 9th, and I think it would be negligence on his agent's part to agree to something with the Sixers before exploring all options.

You are right, I just didn't get the right vibes.

I guess it does put a player in an awkward spot.  They can sign an offer sheet saying they want to leave, and then end up back with their team if the offer is matched.  It would make things rough for a player with their fanbase- especially when it is your hometown.

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2008, 10:38:31 PM »

There are not very many options, Clips, Warriors, Grizz and 76ers and the Hawks. Clips and Warriors probably not, Grizz I don't think so, maybe some three team trade scenario but Smith and his agent don't have a whole lot of options.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2008, 10:46:16 PM »
It is a weird situation for Smith to be in. I mean, he can't go too over the top and talk about he wants to come to Philly because there's an excellent chance he goes back to Atlanta. Then again, many athletes have taken the exact opposite approach to get to the places they want to be. I don't love the idea of getting Smith nor do I hate it... I just really want it to be over but we all know that this could and might drag on until the 16th.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/07/03/sixers/index.html?eref=T1

"They fit the style of play that I like to play, which is up-tempo," Smith told reporters at the airport. "They have great talent. This is one of the teams that I'm looking at."

What do you think the chances are that we find out the details of our offer made to Smith by the end of the day? 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/07/03/sixers/index.html?eref=T1

"They fit the style of play that I like to play, which is up-tempo," Smith told reporters at the airport. "They have great talent. This is one of the teams that I'm looking at."

What do you think the chances are that we find out the details of our offer made to Smith by the end of the day? 

To be quite honest, I think Stefanski offered everything he has available, but is still working on clearing another 2-3 mil to up the offer.  So I'm gonna say the chances are low.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »
We are kind of under the gun now.  We thought time was going to be on our side... not the case.