Author Topic: Mr. Smith visits Philly...  (Read 31078 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mr. Smith visits Philly...
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »
So am I to take it that the Daily News was not good for any Sixers news?

Yes... there was NOTHING gathered from DNL. Chris Broussard was once again on SportsCenter and said that Golden State's wish list probably looks like this:

1) Brand
2) Arenas
3) IGUODALA

Seeing as there's a strong chance the first 2 stay with their teams... this could get really interesting. I wonder if Chicago is getting nervous about Deng.

jemagee

« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »
Iguodala only goes to Golden State if the sixers want him to and the only way that truly works out is a sign and trade for the warriors - so depending on what the sixers would get back i'm not horribly opposed to it.

I am a huge iguodala fan, but i'm not opposed to him going if it improves the sixers long term.

I think the sixers just have to publicly say they'll match anything, look how it screwed pavlovic and varejao...make the warriors S&T if they want iguodala

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »
We haven't talked about it but I huge factor in these restricted free agents if for the current team to add a 6th year to the contract. Atlanta doesn't seem interested in using that or setting the bar for Smith but we could certainly add another year to a deal for Iguodala if needbe. Either way, we're not losing him for nothing and that's good to know.

jemagee

« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2008, 05:46:29 PM »
That was kind of my point, to REALLY max out iguodala and top the sixers they would have to be willing to do that sixth year, hence the S&T requirement.

can I just say since i have no where else to say it - I HATE BRETT FAVRE - and I knew that little pansy ass drug addict wasn't REALLY going to retire.

jemagee

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »
Agent Speak on Smiths visit to philly

"Everything is going good. He's enjoying his time here," said Smith's agent, Wallace Prowther. "They seem to like him. They seem to be genuine."

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »
Younger players don't want a sixth year.  didn't Lebron and Wade go for shorter contracts.  They want to maximize their chances for even bigger deals down the road.

jemagee

« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »
Younger players don't want a sixth year.  didn't Lebron and Wade go for shorter contracts.  They want to maximize their chances for even bigger deals down the road.

Lebron and Wade are Lebron and Wade - Smith and Iguodala are not necessarily in that stratosphere...i think you look at deron williams who is negotiating 5 years with the jazz and paul negotiating 4-5 with the hornets - that's more the norm - guys like lebron and wade (and i think wade is vastly over rated) are different cats...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2008, 06:20:27 PM »
guys like lebron and wade (and i think wade is vastly over rated) are different cats...

You mean the "fave five" type of superstars that the Sixers used to always seem to have?

jemagee

« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2008, 06:24:19 PM »
guys like lebron and wade (and i think wade is vastly over rated) are different cats...

You mean the "fave five" type of superstars that the Sixers used to always seem to have?

Don't throw the superstar word around lightly, the sixers didn't 'always' have them...between barkley and iverson?

After Dr J left until Barkley?

Keep in mind, i hate barkley but acknowledge he was a 'super star'

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
We are superstarless but that's alright.... we're building our team after the Pistons' mold or so I've been told 87 times.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »
I think Snider also said he wants to emulate the Spurs.... just without Tim Duncan.... yeah.

jemagee

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
We are superstarless but that's alright.... we're building our team after the Pistons' mold or so I've been told 87 times.

While the pistons don't have 'superstars' (whichi idon't buy, rasheed is superstar if jermaine o'neal is superstar) they were starting 5 all star calibre players...and have bench players who would start on a lot of rosters...it ain't a quick build

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2008, 07:26:39 PM »

Don't throw the superstar word around lightly, the sixers didn't 'always' have them...between barkley and iverson?

Dr. J and  barkley were on the same team.  The 4 years between Barkley and Ai (the Spoon years) are the only time the Sixers have been without one or more superstars in the past 30+ years.  In some ways we have been lucky, but there are a lot of "stars" out there.

jemagee

« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2008, 07:31:13 PM »

Dr. J and  barkley were on the same team.  The 4 years between Barkley and Ai (the Spoon years) are the only time the Sixers have been without one or more superstars in the past 30+ years.  In some ways we have been lucky, but there are a lot of "stars" out there.

aside from the past season and a half :)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »
Although last season was superstarless, from a personal standpoint it was one of the more enjoyable seasons to watch in eons.