Author Topic: Mr. Smith visits Philly...  (Read 31075 times)

jemagee

Re: Mr. Smith visits Philly...
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
I agree but we were 22nd in defensive rebounding WITH Iguodala. What's your point here?

An upgrade at power forward will make the sixers a better defensive rebounding team, making louis williams you starting 2 guard would probably weaken your defensive rebounding quite a bit (not to mention other defensive liabilities as well)

My point is that Andre Iguodala has all around skills and louis williams to me has mostly just offensive skills and is a bench player that people are falling in love with ala falling in love with willie green, he's better than willie green but he is not a better all around nba player than andre iguodala and never will be.

Iguodala is a better ball handler than people give him credit for he just needs to be taught to make the simple pass...if only the sixers had a former NBA PG on their coaching staff to help him with that...

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2008, 12:16:03 PM »
If my choice is to give Iguodala a ton of money or let him walk and start Louis Williams... well then Iguodala is gonna be rich, bitch! I'm not a fan of that at all... but if Iguodala's demands are high (above $60MIL) I would at least explore sign and trade options if we knew we could sign/trade for a shooting guard who can nail the 3.

jemagee

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17:26 PM »
So you'd be doing a sign and trade for iguodala looking for someone better than iguodala?

How many picks and young players you willing to include to get that done?:)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »
So you'd be doing a sign and trade for iguodala looking for someone better than iguodala?

How many picks and young players you willing to include to get that done?:)

Not better than Iguodala but maybe a better fit for this team. All I'm saying is that with Iguodala at the 2, Young at 3, and Smith at 4 we will be lacking both a post presence and a consistent outside shot. Now, if Ed can somehow trade Miller and get a PG who can bomb away from 3... well then that changes everything.

If we do sign Smith and keep Miller... I would look at a guy like Maggette to play the 2 and trade Iguodala for future assets. This is all very fluid though and changes minute by minute so I reserve the right to completely flip flop on this.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »
I'm not against paying/keeping Iguodala per se...but other decisions need to be made within the context of that decision...which is why I am so high on Hinrich...

"...high on Hinrich..."

I like that...

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »
I'm not against paying/keeping Iguodala per se...but other decisions need to be made within the context of that decision...which is why I am so high on Hinrich...

"...high on Hinrich..."

I like that...

Am I the only one who is worried that Ed has fallen in love with Andre Miller even though Miller is bolting to jem's region of the world next summer??? To me, falling in love with Miller was one of BK's biggest downfalls (that and bad contracts and not surrounding Iverson with the right talent and not standing up to Chris Webber and so on) but now Ed seems to be falling in the same trap. I believe Ed said something along the lines of "I've had two conversations with Andre Miller since becoming GM". Well, shouldn't he be talking to him a whole lot more??? Miller has repeatedly gone on the radio here and repeatedly said things like, "Philly's alright but I'm a West Coast guy" and "I really don't know where I want to be next summer".

I said then on realgm and I'll say it now... I'm almost certain Miller is out of here next summer. If that's the case, why not move him now rather than go into a new season knowing that you are going to have to make perhaps the biggest change of all to your lineup???
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:37:55 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

jemagee

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »
I think you're preaching to the choir here, i know i wanted him traded last summer, to atlanta

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2008, 03:45:10 PM »
Hopefully DNL will have an inkling on information pertaining to Smith's visit.... because I haven't heard a damn thing elsewhere all day. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »
Have there been any updated from sf1976?  Sorry, I'm being lazy and only posting here today.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2008, 04:04:55 PM »
Your among friends... RealGM has been a pain in the ass to deal with since the so-called upgrade. 

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »
Speaking of said "upgrades".....is there a mobile -friendly site for REALGM? It used to layout great now...not so much

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2008, 04:12:47 PM »
Have there been any updated from sf1976?  Sorry, I'm being lazy and only posting here today.

I sifted through the crap and found that he basically stated that we will make an offer to Smith totalling aorund $66 million and then wait.  He did not mention any S&T possibilities, but then again his information, while useful, is usually more general in nature.  I don't think his contact in the FO is very high up the food chain and/or has a good sense of what to spill and what to keep to himself.  Nothing earth shattering so far.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2008, 04:14:45 PM »
Thanks.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=66953

From CSN website....just a visit recap...

by Dan Gelston
The Associated Press

Josh Smith wasted no time taking advantage of his restricted free-agent status and visited on Wednesday with the 76ers ? a franchise with plenty of cap room to make a big offer.

The 22-year-old Smith toured the city and visited the Wachovia Center with Sixers officials, who would like to woo the forward away from Atlanta with an offer sheet to expensive for the Hawks to match. He is a restricted free agent, so the Hawks can match any deal made to the 6-foot-9, 235-pound Smith.

"Everything is going good. He's enjoying his time here," said Smith's agent, Wallace Prowther. "They seem to like him. They seem to be genuine."

The Sixers can try and make matching an offer sheet tough to accomplish.

They have about $11 million in salary cap space available and could use all of it to offer Smith a five-year contract. The Hawks have said they would match any contract offer to Smith, but are on the hook next season for big contracts for Mike Bibby and Joe Johnson, and they still want to re-sign forward Josh Childress.

Smith's numbers have increased in each of his four NBA seasons since Atlanta made him a first-round pick out of high school in 2004. He averaged 17.2 points and 8.2 rebounds last year and helped the Hawks make the playoffs. Smith also reportedly turned down an extension worth about $45 million over five years.

Smith and his agents met with the Hawks on Tuesday. Prowther said other visits where scheduled, but declined to name the teams.

Smith would be a nice fit for the up-tempo Sixers and would be a huge upgrade over last year's power forward, Reggie Evans. He's one of the premier shot blockers in the league and could team with starting center Samuel Dalembert and small forward Thaddeus Young to form one of the top frontcourts in the Eastern Conference.

"From the outside looking in, it looks like he'd fit well," Prowther said.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
Your among friends... RealGM has been a pain in the ass to deal with since the so-called upgrade. 

I have had the same problem, and maybe try and filter it through a third party web plucker.  Do you use Palm or Microsoft?

I have had some problems on firefox.  I found a formatting gadget that makes it work better.  i can get info on it last if you want.

Also, when the thread "jumps" pausing the news clicker at the top of the screen stops the problem.

Or you can just post here and get Skates to pass on the improtant stuff...