Author Topic: Mr. Smith visits Philly...  (Read 31059 times)

jemagee

Re: Mr. Smith visits Philly...
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2008, 11:13:34 AM »
Heck - LouW can do many of those things better than Iggy.

Andre Iguodala was second leading in assists, and there's more to basketball than just offense, all louis williams brings is offense and I don't think he's that great  ball handler either.

I have heard a lot of talk over the years abouot how young Andre is...how he can still develop these things

So you were opposed to sam dalembert getting 60 million too right?  Same deal...

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
jem:

Just as you argues in another thread, you can't compare contracts at positions...if you are going to say that we should not compare Smith's deal to others - because PF's are harder to come by than SG's or SF's - then wouldn't the same thing hold true for C's like Sam?  The league is full of tall stiffs who got paid ridiculous money because the were/are tall.  So - using your own logic - you can't compare Sam getting $60 million to Iggy getting $60 million...right?

;)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2008, 11:16:45 AM »
So you were opposed to sam dalembert getting 60 million too right?  Same deal...

Um...yes.  Yes I was.

(I believe you were as well).

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2008, 11:19:18 AM »

Um...yes.  Yes I was.

I most definitely know I was. I was preaching/begging/crying for King to either just let him walk to Atlanta or trade him to Phoenix for Marion. Ahhh... those were the days.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2008, 11:19:42 AM »
Let the record show that - at the time - I was also opposed to Sam getting that money...although with his play this last season, you could almost argue that he is starting to earn some of that money...

jemagee

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »

Um...yes.  Yes I was.

Yes, yes i was, and still am, but igoudla has shown more growth in his years in the league than sam has as of yet in my opinion and has been in the league less time.

Let it be known that i think trading korver was bad not only for on court reasons.

Let the record show that - at the time - I was also opposed to Sam getting that money...although with his play this last season, you could almost argue that he is starting to earn some of that money...

You could also argue, it's about damn time and that expectations were so low he'd have to have an eddy curry like season not to delude people into thinking he was earning it.

BTW - the person who originally said the quote was tk wasn't it?  I thiought i was asking him - maybe i read it wrong

jemagee

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
jem:

Just as you argues in another thread, you can't compare contracts at positions...if you are going to say that we should not compare Smith's deal to others - because PF's are harder to come by than SG's or SF's - then wouldn't the same thing hold true for C's like Sam?  The league is full of tall stiffs who got paid ridiculous money because the were/are tall.  So - using your own logic - you can't compare Sam getting $60 million to Iggy getting $60 million...right?

;)

You can argue 'getting better' to 'getting better' - sam was given big money mostly on potential and as far as i'm concerned since he still can't dribble, past, or post up, and still is lost on defense at times and seems to have the basketball iq of a small infant that he STILL hasn't earned it.

Most people on here seem to think iguodala isn't worth the MLE, which by the way beno udrih is getting the full mle for how many years from the kings?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
jem:

I wouldn't say that Iggy's only worth the MLE...I think that - on the right team - he is worth the kind of numbers that are being thrown around.  I just don't know if he is worth that kind of money on THIS team (as currently constructed)...on a team that needed a Grant Hill-like SF (that already had a Redd/Rip-like SG)...or a team that had a fill-it-up Glen Rice-like SF, he could be a perfect SG...

But on this team right now?

???

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »
The problem is that Thad is so young, and developing at such a quick learning curve, we have no idea what to reasonably expect.  He could very well add a consistent 3 pt shot in the next 2-3 years.  But can we count on that?  That's the decision we have to make now with Iguodala.  If one of the two don't develop into a consistent 3 pt threat from range, it's hard to think our half court sets are going to improve dramatically.  We also need some semblance of a go-to guy on the perimeter to take some of the defensive pressure off Iguodala.  Miller's just not that, and again, you have to try to project Thad's growth when talking about Iguodala as a fit, which is hard to do.

jemagee

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »
jem:

I wouldn't say that Iggy's only worth the MLE...I think that - on the right team - he is worth the kind of numbers that are being thrown around.  I just don't know if he is worth that kind of money on THIS team (as currently constructed)...on a team that needed a Grant Hill-like SF (that already had a Redd/Rip-like SG)...or a team that had a fill-it-up Glen Rice-like SF, he could be a perfect SG...

But on this team right now?

???

Well, I kind of hope the sixers let him walk now, because all the lamentations will be enjoyable to read when the sixers miss the hole he would fill AT BOTH ENDS OF THE COURT.  You'd think basketball only involved scoring baskets and not trying to prevent them....

Do people remember what a crappy rebounding team the sixers tend to be?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2008, 11:46:45 AM »
Also, Iguodala was actually more accurate shooting jumpers last year when he went 1-1 than in catch and shoot.  He shot 40.4% on 1-1 isolations that resulted in a jump shot without driving (46-114).  He was only 36.2% on no dribble spot-up jump shots (59-163).  He really needs to become a better catch and shoot player, especially if we are to add a post presence.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »

Didn't we lead the league in offensive rebounding last season? I'm fine with keeping Iguodala but please don't try to sell us the idea that because our defensive rebounding is bad, we need Iguodala to place the 2-guard.

jemagee

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »

Didn't we lead the league in offensive rebounding last season? I'm fine with keeping Iguodala but please don't try to sell us the idea that because our defensive rebounding is bad, we need Iguodala to place the 2-guard.

I'd just like people to stop focusing on one end of the court, as you did again, with offensive rebounding, which i don't value over defensive rebounding, especially (as i said) when the primary offensive rebounders on the sixers had the offensive skills of a blind wombat :)

The sixers were second in the offensive rebounding category that counts to me and 22 in the defensive rebounding category that counts to me...i'm not just counting rebounds...sixers are bad shooting team, more offensive rebounding opportunities.

The world champions were 18th in the same offensive rebounding category and 8th in the defensive rebounding equivalent.

The term defense wins championships means something folks

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2008, 12:04:47 PM »
I hear what Jem is saying.  People are quick to forget about the intangibles Iguodala brings.  Who guards the opposing team's best wing player if he leaves?  What happens to our fast break success?  I recall several late game situations where Iguodala delivered some crushing blows to the opposition by either getting a key stop, grabbing a key rebound, or even coming through with a big shot.  The guy won't be replaced by inserting someone who can simply create his own shot...

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2008, 12:05:07 PM »
I agree but we were 22nd in defensive rebounding WITH Iguodala. What's your point here?